[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I smoke a cigarette or two every day, is this REALLY gonna do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
I smoke a cigarette or two every day, is this REALLY gonna do any damage to me? Whenever I look up anything about smoking risks, it always talks about pack-a-day smokers or 25-a-day smokers
>>
File: 3BffKfN.png (410 KB, 480x463) Image search: [Google]
3BffKfN.png
410 KB, 480x463
You'll still get the usual shit, like yellowed teeth, wrinkles, etc.
Just at a much slower pace.

While only smoking 1-2 is great, it's still not healthy. At such a small rate, why not switch to a Vape or Pen? Quit it entirely and live for an extra 2 or 3 years maybe
>>
My gramma smoked a pack every other day since she was 12 and lived to see 85. True Menthols, fuckin gross stogies.
>>
Grandad is 86 been smoking dince he was 14 isnt healthy but still doin pretty good for 86.
Friends mom is 59 had emphysema last 6 years and is on death bed. There are too many factors inlin life. Do what you wanywant
>>
It does do damage to you, but you shouldn't be that concerned about it. The risk of someone getting cancer is fairly low, and if you smoke like 2 cigs a day your risk of getting cancer is like 2 times higher than the average, but that's still low. The fact is that if you keep smoking the way you do you will get cancer when you're like 80 years old. It's inevitable. If you start smoking a pack a day you might get cancer when you're 70 years old.
It absolutely does damage to you, it does all sorts of shit to you like contributing to your balding, ruining your teeth etc, but you will live just fine.
>>
>>16904779
Pack a day for five years here. My teeth are as white as a non-smoker's. I'm not advocating anyone smoke, but just practice good dental hygiene and you'll be fine appearance wise.

I've worked down to 1 or 2 a day, hoping to quit for good this month.
>>
>>16904793
My grandad was 80 and he died from cancer and he smoked a pack a day.
Genetics the primary factor in this, but smoking contributes to it.
>>
>>16904798
why are you quitting? the smell?
>>
Shit like cancer is like rolling dice.
It's never guaranteed, only made more likely.

You ever play Yahtzee?

Same shit.

By smoking you're adding more dice to the roll.
You roll those dice every day.
A certain combination means cancer.

Do you want to add more dice to that roll?
>>
>>16904825
No, for my health. I can barely run a mile and my best friend's son wants to bike and play soccer all the time. It winds me out something fierce and I want to be a good uncle to the kid.
>>
>>16904829
That's not smoking.

That's being a fat useless piece of shit.
Smoking doesn't help, of course, but the main limiting factor is being inactive.
Go jogging every other day
>>
>>16904829
smoking effects athletic ability less than you think, what you really need to worry about is what you eat
>>
>>16904834
Dude, I LOOK like I'm in great shape. I work out plenty. My lungs are not good, I may have understated how much I've smoked since college. I can't even make it up a flight of stairs without getting winded. My lungs can't hold a breath.
>>
Respiratory Therapist. We record smoking history in pack years, after 10 you would be the equivalent of someone that has been smoking a pack a day for 1 year. Your pack year history never goes down. If you develop unrelated respiratory problems down the road your smoking habit will compound your issues. I recommend continuing to smoke as it means improved job security for me.
>>
>>16904863
As anyone on /fit/ will tell you, cardio has nothing to do with muscles.

Do you do 30~ minutes of jogging after each weight lifting session?

If no, you have the lungs of a fat ass
>>
>>16904866
Why the condescending quip? Surely you understand how hard it can be for certain smokers to quit the habit, even though they try very hard. It hurt a little to hear you say that.
>>
>>16904875
I swim for an hour a day. It's extremely difficult. I'm not trying to argue with you man, I'm just saying smoking heavily for almost a decade has taken a physical toll on my cardio ability. I used to run 12 miles a day in college when I first started. I just want to quit so I can play with my friend's kid better eventually.
>>
>>16904895
Can't argue with you.
Never smoke myself.

But from my experience the thing that keeps people back is practice.
Maybe smoking changes that.

Either way, quitting smoking seems to help.

Honestly, I'm an alcoholic. I want to quit, but everytime I find a reason to do it, I find another, more compelling, to not.

I give you my honest support to quit your addiction.
I know I failed on mine.
>>
>>16904790
>>16904793
>>16904796
>>16904802
My mum smoked since she was a teenager. She passed away from lung cancer on her 46th birthday.

>>16904863
Not the guy you replied to, but aerobic fitness and anabolic fitness are different things. When I was in the army (which, for the record, was a long time ago) I'd smoke at least 20 a day. On a friday or saturday I'd smoke a whole pack stood at the bar. However, I could run sub 5 minuite miles, and most days I'd run 10 miles in my own time on top of training and PT, fitness was never an issue. Now I'm fast appraoching 40 and I can't even run a bath without getting out of breath, but that's another story entirley.
>>
>>16904911
Thanks, man. I'm an alcoholic, too, fuck. Finish a handle of whiskey every four days. Sucks when it starts taking you eight 7.9% IPAs to even feel drunk. We'll get by somehow, my heart goes out to you.

>>16904922
More badass than I ever was. Used to be full otter-mode cross country nerd here.
>>
>>16904960
>Finish a handle of whiskey every four days. Sucks when it starts taking you eight 7.9% IPAs to even feel drunk.
We drink about the same.
Maybe less for me.
I'm a skinny fuck.

I'm like 400 mls in now.

Do you ever find yourself totally used to going to work hungover?
Not like in painful hangover but in that redfaced "I don't really see with my eyes" hangover?

Fuck me. I wish I was sober forever
>>
>>16904974
Yep, doesn't even phase me, to the point where I almost find the haze comfortable. I try to not buy a new a bottle every time I'm out, but I always cave.
>>
>>16905127
Me too man.
I come home from work and I'm like "Jeez, why not stop at the liquor store" and I always do.
I think "It's a reward for the hard day's work".
But I know that's false.
I hate myself for doing it.
I just want to stop.
But I can't.

You get those eye floatees?
Like that make it seem like your life is a fucking video?
>>
>>16904960
>More badass than I ever was.
I don't often tell people this these days, because I'm 6'4 and look fairly grizzled so I can get away with telling any old cock and bull story about my army days and people actually believe it. However, the truth of the matter is that I was a musician - and bandsman in the band of the grenadier gaurds. Allthough we were trained as medics, my day to day job consisted of marching around outside the queens house wearing a furry hat and playing a fucking tuba (allthough I'd feverishly deny that in front of my mates down the pub, who all think I was the second man on the balcony during the iranian embassy siege in 1980).
>>
>>16905230
Played trombone in a ska band in high school man. Tuba is boss as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 318x301) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 318x301
Eventually you'll get addicted to the nicotine and you'll need more of it to get the same feeling you had when you first started smoking. No one starts out smoking a pack a day, it just elsclates from there. Please don't smoke OP, it's a nasty habit and a waste of money.
>>
>>16904769
I do the same thing and I think a small amount is good for you it relieves stress
>>
>>16905526
Bull shit I smoke like 2 cigarettes a day and I go days without smoking even if I have cigs near me
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.