[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friend is Retarded with Money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 1136x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 1136x242
Hi /adv/:

One of my friends runs a fairly successful lawn care business with two of his friends; he operates in an affluent zip code with lots of big homes with expansive lawns, so he has pretty much an endless supply of high-paying clients. Business is booming. The problem isn't how much money he makes; it's what he does with it that bothers me.

My friend does not trust banks. At all. He's 25, almost 26 and he has never opened a savings account, let alone a 401k or anything like that. He has a checking account, but only so he can accept checks and credit cards as payment and to pay his employees. Otherwise, as soon as a payment is received, he withdraws it in cash. In his opinion, any money that's not physical cash is "fake" and he likes to have his money "where he can see it" instead of trusting a bank or credit union. To this end, he has a locker in his house that contains, at any given time, between $20,000 and $30,000 in cash. He pays his bills in cash, or writes a check when he absolutely has to. He makes all his purchases in cash. If he wants to buy something online, he has another friend do it and then repays him in cash. Whenever we go out he goes to his safe and just takes a brick of money out and carries it around everywhere; he claims he never has less than $400 in cash on his person. He buys tons of useless shit and plays up the rich asshole persona to the letter. I've tried explaining to him that money kept in a bank is insured by the government and that it's much safer in an account than in his house, but he just sighs and laments that I've "fallen for the scam." The money isn't even in a proper safe, it's literally just an old school locker kept in plain view secured with a padlock, meaning anyone with some bolt cutters from Home Depot could rob him of his entire life savings. The thing isn't even secured to the floor, so actually someone could just walk in and carry it out and worry about cracking it later.

How do I knock some sense into him?
>>
I like him. Leave him be, it's his life.
>>
>money kept in a bank is insured by the government

this is true. It's also ACCESSIBLE by the government if he has any loans, debts, unpaid taxes, child support, etc etc.

I mean he sounds like a douche, don't get me wrong
>>
>>16904249
>meaning anyone with some bolt cutters from Home Depot could rob him of his entire life savings.

Where does this guy live OP? I bet I could have a talk with him about it.
>>
He's a conspiritard for calling it "the scam." There are legitimate personal issues with trading your money for numbers on a computer, but that doesn't make it a scam.

You're an idiot for trying to pound home the obvious. He runs a business. I'm not saying it takes very much intelligence to do so, but let's be real: he's probably smart enough to understand bolt cutters, right? You're not telling him anything he doesn't know. If you really want to convince someone then you need to communicate to them in a way they find insightful. For example, would you have gotten this far into my reply if I was only saying to you the same things that he already does? No. You made it this far because I'm conveying ideas to you from a fresh perspective.

Stop talking to him with the same old obvious points. Take your facts as a given, take his beliefs as a given and bring them together to create some new approach to the conversation. The mission is not to get him to kowtow to your viewpoint. It's to be a real friend to him, to work together and create a better solution than either of you would have arrived at individually.
>>
Go full Scared Straight on him. Make the safe disappear and just as he reached peak panic mode bring it back.

That should drive home the point.
>>
>>16904306

If you enter into a contractual agreement and don't uphold your end of the bargain, it is the government's job to enforce the contract. Even diehard libertarians like Friedman understand this.
>>
>>16904306
You realize that if you owe the government money, they have a right to take it.
>>
He's fine. What he needs is a professional safe. Seriously, nest time you're hanging out with him cut the padlock off to show him how easy it is. That or drop an address. I'd come steal his money in a second and only charge him a grand for the experience.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.