[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My roommate's dog has been very clingy lately, and when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
My roommate's dog has been very clingy lately, and when she's left alone in a room, she starts huffing and puffing, crying, and trying to get through her gate to get to me. He works nights, and our other roommate is away on travel for a few months, so I'm the only one home from 5ish until around midnight.

She has food, water, and access to the backyard... what do I do about this? She's not allowed in my room and I don't want to go sit in the living room all night.
>>
File: 1374007201466.jpg (42 KB, 477x500) Image search: [Google]
1374007201466.jpg
42 KB, 477x500
>>16897481

>... what do I do about this?

There's a lot of information online about training dogs with separation anxiety. Its fairly easy if you and your roommate decide to stick to the training together and show some consistency.

I would be more concerned if the dog didn't have access to the backyard but it at least has an opportunity to stretch its legs. Look it up, its not that hard at all.
>>
Dogs are social animals, they get lonely pretty easily. If it comes down to what's actually ideal for the dog, get a second dog so that she has a friend. But obviously that might not be practical, so you might just kind of have to deal with a lonely dog.
>>
The dog just needs leadership. Learn about dog training. Read websites, read books, watch dog whisperer, take her to training class.
>>
>>16897493

Most of what I've found from quick searches involve training for dogs when you're leaving the house for work or something... she's distressed because she can hear me still in the house but can't get to me.

The thing is, she's 5, almost 6 years old... she's always been a clingy dog, but the past month or so has really been ramped up, so the training doesn't seem to work.

Part of it may be that when my roommate is home, she's pretty much snuggled up in his lap the whole time. He doesn't go out much, and when he does, he tries to take her with him... she's been super babied like that since she was a puppy. She thinks everyone is a pillow.

When we actually leave the house, she isn't destructive or anything.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.