[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a psychology and neuroscience major and I'm really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (469 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
469 KB, 1600x1200
I'm a psychology and neuroscience major and I'm really into the content. But it's changing the way I think for the worst I feel.
I'm constantly paranoid about myself and others. I feel like there's so much wrong with me and everything in my life. Based on what I've learned, I feel like a lot of it is beyond my control. I feel like my genetics and slightly fucked up last decade have ruined me. None of the advice people give me means anything because I feel like they have no idea what they're talking about, like if it disagrees with any widely accepted theories or findings pertaining to neurology and psychology I disregard it. I apply scientific principles to nearly every aspect of my life and it makes me feel miserable, powerless and depressed.
I'm going through a lot of shit right now and not even my therapist can console me. I disregard anything intuition-based. I hate it. Anyone else have this problem? How can I still accept and apply what I learn without being a paranoid robot? Any theories or findings that would constructively challenge my position would be greatly appreciated
>>
You are human there is nothing wrong with having faults.No one is perfect under a microscope. Its your decisions you make that will decide for yourself who you are.
>>
>>16896277
I'm not a neuro-scientist, I can only give you advice that has worked for myself and others. For most people, that is enough evidence of truth to follow the advice, but for you, since I can't cite any studies or papers to back up what I say, I got nothing.

Let go of your pride there, college boy, and partake of some common wisdom, even if your 'highly developed mind' can't fully grasp it. That ego is gonna fuck you into more misery than you can yet comprehend.
>>
>>16896350
It's not even an ego thing. I'm not trying to brag. I can't stop myself from thinking this way and agree that it's excessive and unhealthy. That's what I've always tried to do, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I figure I need to change my entire perception which I admittedly have no idea how to do, realistically
>>
>>16896277
I'm a dumb fuck who spent stupid money on learning philosophy.

So here's the thing.
Free will is an illusion.
If the universe is deterministic (that is, there's nothing in our universe that is unobservable and therefore unpredictable), then we, being made of the matter of our universe, are similarly deterministic.

However, since the full knowledge of knowing that we have no will results in a being that does not reproduce (since why interact with other people if we're all puppets of our genetics), then we are all programmed to believe that essentially we are not deterministic.

So relax.
If free will is an illusion, we can live full happy lives knowing that.

Let it go. You don't have control over your mind anyways.
So it's a done deal.
>>
Then quit, OP. Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>16896277
You sound gay
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.