[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is weight?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.gif (523 KB, 276x214) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
523 KB, 276x214
How can fat people possibly be happy?

Three of my best friends are overweight, two borderline obese. I'm overweight as well, but not to the extent they are. Strangely enough, those three people are among the happiest I know, whereas I feel absolutely miserable every time I do so much as glance at a mirror. I've tried dieting on three multiple occasions, but after three months at a time I never drop more than ten pounds and decide that starving myself isn't worth it. I did lose a lot of weight over one summer a few years back (inb4 just do it again, I've tried and the magic just seemed to run out), but I noticed that no matter how many pounds I dropped I was never satisfied with the visual results.

What gives? What's keeping me from being happy like all the other fat people around?
>>
>>16885305
Don't diet, change your life. Stop drinking calories and eat less. Lift weights and do cardio. Eat more vegetables. All the time. There is no diet, just change.

They aren't happy with their weight either. Fat people all lie to themselves on a daily basis to cope.
>>
Maybe you're not fat enough. There may be a fat threshold.
>>
Im 380 and in my 30s.

Happiness has little to nothing to do with weight. Self esteem is personal, and you can have high or low depending on your personal body image.

do things that you enjoy, spend time with people you care about, and then you'll actually be happy. Don't let your insecurity decide your happiness.
>>
>>16885305
its simple. fat people have generally given up on trying to mate, so they are much happier because they have less stress.

Kind of like when you neuter your dog.
>>
>>16885339
Hah! fuck you, i'm like 60 pounds lighter than you and I'm 6'4". Always someone lower on the totem pole, sucker!
>>
>>16885339
I'm sorry, that was mean.

I'm not used to this part of 4chan, people on /b generally treat each other from dirt and say "fuck you" instead of hello.
>>
Being able to deal with being fat comes from either denial, being awesome, or having it not impact you all that much at the time.
Each is a temporary condition. Most overweight people would be happier being less overweight. There are times in life when it isn't a big deal- when I first became captain of my ship, after 20 years of shitty work and preparation, I blew up like a balloon. 80lbs. I went from 210 to 290, and I'm a big guy. At the time I was still banging my wife, who is crazy hot, and my salary doubled, so I was about the happiest fat guy ever, but given time, I had to lose the weight in order to keep banging my wife, who was getting beat up from sex with my fat ass, and for my health.
Ultimately, no matter how happy we all are, we can often be happier- with easy-to-spot things like obesity, making ourselves happier is an obvious effort. Not that it makes it easy, but there isn't a man in the world who can't be happier if he needs to lose some weight and does so.
>>
>>16885348

I'm 6'6". I played college football. Regardless of your awkward totem pole, none of those things matter. Self esteem matters. People have lots of different reasons to feel bad for themselves. And people acting out that lack of self esteem is a quick way to being unhappy.

Judge yourself by yourself.

Be your ideal you every day.

Best of luck.

>>16885351

Naw, I still spend time on /b/. Still, be happy with yourself. Don't judge yourself by anyone else.
>>
>>16885305
Ignorance is bliss. Let them be happy.
>>
I have fat coworkers and two of them seem to be complacent with it but there's one of them that has confided in me his struggles with trying to lose it. With him I can tell it weighs on him heavily, lol pun rite. The other two I wouldn't be surprised if secretly they somewhat hated themselves sometimes and wish they could changed but they're too far gone in their opinion to do anything so they just try an be happy and eventually they become complacent.

I guess what this guys said >>16885341
>>
OP here, I was real grumpy earlier now I'm a lot happier because I found out I can have dinner. Turns out I accidentally logged my lunch twice and thought I was out of calories for the day, but I was actually 700 under. I'm getting some fish sticks cooked now.

Advice was really good, I appreciate it.
>>
>>16885317
This.

Read the >>>/fit/ sticky and get your life on track. If you're eating as badly as I think then limiting yourself to water, reducing sugars to control your glucose production, and stuff like that will make things easier.

Its not about NOT eating, its about WHAT you eat. Simple sugars if any. Fiber. Cheap food. Don't eat out etc. You'll save money too, there's no downside.

>>16885339
In all honesty, although you CAN be happy and fat I wouldn't take this guy's advise. If you feel bad about how you look than change your diet. Don't starve yourself that actually makes your metabolism slow down (*i.e. starvation mode*) and conserve fat. If you just eat filling food and stop drinking ANY pop or even liquor/beer you'll feel better.

If you're anywhere near 380 lbs there's a 99% chance you're going to have body issues. No one wants to have rashes, trouble wiping their ass, sweat all the time, difficult wearing suits/clothes, or have chafing everywhere.
>>
File: 1378280875679.jpg (16 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
1378280875679.jpg
16 KB, 400x299
>>16885305

>How can fat people possibly be happy?

Because some people's happiness revolves around more than how many pounds they weigh.

Some people don't get their happiness for how much the people think they're beautiful and in shape.

There are plenty of beautiful, athletic people who are absolutely miserable. Appearance and happiness aren't mutually exclusive.

Sure, quality of life might be overall better for athletic people but then again what is "quality" of life? What hobbies or friends do you have to have in order for you to be considered to have a high quality life?

I don't know. You're asking a definitive question about a highly interpretive and subjective problem.

Don't put all your happiness eggs in one basket, is what I'm trying to say.

You'll never look in the mirror one day, look at your toned, muscular body and say "Ok, I'm happy with my life now."

Thats not how it works.
>>
>>16885475
You'll be happier naturally though. Simply by being more active and not eating shit.

You might not be completely satisfied with life, but you will feel naturally happier.
>>
File: 1374607554314.jpg (34 KB, 459x500) Image search: [Google]
1374607554314.jpg
34 KB, 459x500
>>16885518

>You'll be happier naturally though

A generally logical assumption, but an assumption based on your own ideals and experience with happiness nonetheless.

The point I was trying to make was that while for you and a lot of other people being active and eating healthier makes you happier, not everyone shares your sentiment.

I was by no means trying to justify a sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle, I was simply answering the question, which was "How can fat people possibly be happy."
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.