[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Abandoning a Pet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: are you aware you are a cat.jpg (179 KB, 1080x1204) Image search: [Google]
are you aware you are a cat.jpg
179 KB, 1080x1204
Hi /adv/,
My father has been diagnosed with end stage cancer and we have to get rid of our three cats because the smell is affecting him. My mom had packed all three of them into one small kennel and was planning to go leave them outside a shelter in the middle of the night while it is cold, windy, and raining hard. When I asked why not wait till morning and do it properly she argued it would take too much time/effort, despite the shelter being 10 minutes down the road. Luckily I stopped her and will be taking them in the morning to surrender them properly.

What I wanted to ask is if I am the asshole for getting upset with her for this? We are all in a shitty situation, but abandoning animals is already a bad enough thing to do, and life is about doing the right thing even when things are shitty. Why the hell would you not spend the measly 30 minutes it takes to do it properly at least so they have proper documentation/health records and a much higher chance of getting adopted. Not to mention not spending a night out in the rain/cold. On a side note my mom is the one who originally got them. I understand that they have to go and I'm not bitter about that at all, but I'm really pissed off at how my parents handle shit like this. Am I in the wrong here?
>>
you do realize those animals are almost certainly going to be euthanized, right?
>>
>we have to get rid of our three cats because the smell is affecting him.

What? Get a job and take care of the cats dude.
>>
>>16882187
You should kill your mother.

Her inability to feel empathy toward animals means she will likely kill a person in her life. Maybe she already has.

If you could stop someone like Jeffrey Dahmer or BTK, wouldn't you?

I personally wouldn't because I think they were awesome, but you would, right?
>>
>>16882201
>your mother is a killer
>therefore you should kill her
sound logic
>>
>>16882195
Yeah I'm not naive, I don't think that really changes anything except the very optimistic case that the proper documentation actually helps find them a home.
>>16882200
I'm a full-time student transferring to a 4 year university in a few months. I don't have time or money for pets. On top of that, none of them are mine to begin with as I said in the OP.
>>
>>16882206
You'd kill Hitler right?
>>
>>16882208
Your mother sounds like the worst kind of human being

Make her take responsibility for her actions or tell her you don't want anything to do with her anymore
>>
>>16882195
Also I don't see that as a reason for them to spend the last day of their lives cold, wet, and alone in lieu of saving 30 minutes of my own life. They're not even mine and I don't really care for pets but damn I do have compassion for other living things regardless.
>>16882215
As pissed off as I am I wouldn't go that far. I'm pretty mad/disappointed at her and I don't know how long it will last but at the end of the day they are just cats.
The situation reminds me of way back when she would be home all day(no job) and refused to pick me up from school which would take her 20 minutes total, and instead I had to take a 1.5 hour bus route to get home. I still to this day don't understand why she did that. Regardless my transfer to uni couldn't come sooner.
>>
>>16882209
much as we'd all like to that could create an alternate timeline that could potentially destroy mankind
>>
>>16882187
Yeah, your mother is a shitty person. Honestly, it's not much work to surrender animals. People who abandon their pets are scum.
>>
I'm way too drunk to write a thoughtful response but please don't let her do this. It's cruel. It's unjustifiable. It's a completely unreasonable way to act. Being in a really shitty situation doesn't excuse treating animals who you agreed to take responsibility for so badly.
>>
File: d.jpg (16 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
16 KB, 420x315
It feels kind of good to at least know I'm not in the wrong here, thanks. It's funny because she always talks about how I don't have compassion, but then when it comes down to it, look what happens.

I remember one time I put one of them outside because they were having a barfing fit and I couldn't even do that without feeling bad. I feel like I am at that point where I start realizing my parents aren't special perfect snowflakes to be looked up to and are just two random people who happened to fuck and I happened to pop out of.
>>
>>16882292
>Being in a really shitty situation doesn't excuse treating animals who you agreed to take responsibility for so badly.
Exactly what I told her. And don't worry I stopped it and will take care of it in the morning like I said. What are you drinking tonight? I think I'm gonna have some myself.

>>16882293
meant for
>>16882272
>>
Let them be strays if you care about them.
>>
>>16882302
I thought about this but reading into it it doesn't usually work out as happily as we'd like to think it would. Also if I let them go locally they would almost certainly find their way back and slip inside whenever the door opened, because they were in/out cats that slip in the second anyone opens the door.
>>
>>16882312
Well they'll feralize and have a chance rather than the certain death that a shelter will give them. Drive 20m or something.
>>
>>16882312
>I thought about this but reading into it it doesn't usually work out as happily as we'd like to think it would.
Outside cats live pretty rough lives, generally. I have a few strays that I take care of--they had kittens, so I fixed them all, put the parents outside and keep the kittens in. They're still pretty happy and doing well, all things considered. Females will have an easier time than males though. I made mine an insulated shelter for less than $30 and it got them through the winter. Just one plastic tote inside another, with foam insulation and plastic bags in between.

Still better than being dead. They're always on the back porch, lazing in the sun.
>>
Just find a a no-kill shelter/rescue to take them to. It will take a small amount of research but unless you're living in the third world or the boonies there should be one reasonably near you.
>>
>>16882351
no kill shelters hold animals for a set amount of time then transfer them over to shelters that do kill
>>
>>16882363
Must be something different where you live, but here they keep them until they find homes, and even foster them out of their own home.

but anyway even that is better than basically throwing them directly into the gas chamber.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.