[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I left my last job because my boss was a major asshole. >Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 124775_P_1387182265668.jpg (39 KB, 741x554) Image search: [Google]
124775_P_1387182265668.jpg
39 KB, 741x554
I left my last job because my boss was a major asshole.

>Why did you leave your last job?

How do answer this on an application without lying?
>>
>>16869690
Unfair treatment? Poor management? Just expect that if you get an interview to explain it.
>>
>>16869692
Does stating, "Communicating with the President proved difficult and timely," scream ineptitude?

I received two $1 raises in the first five months...is stating that a good or bad idea (in a cover letter)? Also, in my exit interview, he asked what he could do to get me to stay (multiple times)...is that okay to state; I have considered saying something along the lines of, "Fully trained replacement, as I turned down the President's request for me to stay."

good/bad/????
>>
>>16869690
By "lying" through omission? You can tell them other things that are true.

>I didn't feel there was a lot of room for growth, and I want to take a step forward with my career.

Not a lot a room for growth because your boss is a fucking asshole (they don't need to know that).
>>
My crew foreman and top hand were major alcoholics that would stay out until 3 in the morning and we wouldn't get to work until 10am when myself and the the other welder on our crew would be ready to go at 7am. We would be on jobs out of state 3-4 days over schedule and when I finally confronted the CEO about it, I mysteriously got shit canned.
>>
>>16869736
Life's not fair.

My boss was just a simple Dicklord. He would refer to all of his male employees as 'fuckers' when they were having too much fun, and always felt the need to be the smartest person in the room. He demanded respect without doing shit to earn it, and was never in a good mood unless he was in the process of suing somebody.

Really though, his favorite colour is grey. Which pretty much sums everything up. Unfortunately, there is no AA for such types.
>>
My boss is dead
>>
>>16869690
Just say the work ran out and then the company let you go.
>>
>>16869765
Yeah, complete dishonest. good1
>>
Most folks choose to not lie on applications.

They might write something about differences in style. New bosses generally frown on liars and complainers.
>>
>>16869768
Why the objection? Either the prospective employer call the old boss and says, "why did anon leave the firm?" or they take anon's word.
Then it's up to the old boss to say anon worked for me yes that's all i can say, or he says anon was a slacker and we didn't mesh well, he quit.
>>
>>16869805
Good call, you fuck. OP here. Wanted to avoid dishonesty...tell me, how's your reading comprehension, Anon?

>>16869918
Dishonesty = Rejected Advice
>>
Just say you were pursuing other interests. Like being unemployed.
>>
>>16869936
>I left my previous position because the
>boss and I didn't get along.
Any answers other than that is untrue.
>>
>>16870019
Nobody gets along with him, everyone just puts up with his shit hoping he'll finally retire (but he is power-hungry so I doubt that will happen any time soon).

In short, kindness trumps honesty.
>>
>>16869690
the correct reason for leaving a job is always to achieve the next goal or career move. if you have to you should fabricate one. never leave a job because of the job itself or any people associated with it. i don't even care if your job was you worked for the mafia as a sex slave. you dont ever trash any job or indicate that you couldn't or didn't want to get the job done.
>>
>>16870095
I told my boss when he asked me to stay: "At this point in my life, I respect myself too much to continue working here."

So yeah, searching for something which aligns with my long-term [career] goals.
>>
>>16869764
we need a greentext for educational and advice purposes please
>>
>>16870107
well, not being treated like a piece of garbage is a career goal for just about everybody, so you wouldn't be lying in the slightest.
>>
I left my last job for being under appreciated, (working weekends, 50 hours on weekdays, always being told what was wrong when everything else was right, being denied all time off no matter the importance.)

Last straw was I requested my anniversary off, (7 years,) and was denied, lied to about it, and then the shift I was given was someone else's regular shift that they got off for no reason.

I put in my notice and they said all sorts of things to make me stay.

I told possible employers that "I left because I was too invested in that job and it was holding me back from growing with the company, and I needed to a fresh start to put things in perspective about where I wanted to go in the field." (Which is technically true, but it wasn't because I wanted to be too invested.)

It's worked pretty well since it implies I care about my work a lot and that I'm willing to try lots of new things. (Which is also true.)
>>
I didn't leave my last job - it was a contract position which expired. They offered to renew, but I declined because I want to take my career in a different direction.

I have been tempted to leave my current job a few times and often felt underappreciated, but since then there has been changes in management and things have become much better.

Granted, the people I work with are all jerks, but at least the manager tries hard (and usually succeeds) at suppressing office politics and making things right.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.