[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you tell the difference between just being an extremely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2
File: 1382021222296262.jpg (80 KB, 720x719) Image search: [Google]
1382021222296262.jpg
80 KB, 720x719
How can you tell the difference between just being an extremely lazy bitch who is bad at life, and depression (or something that could medically be treated)?

For years I've had an extremely low productivity, spending almost all of my waken hours in bed. The smallest tasks take so much energy. I avoid showering, brushing my hair, anything.
However I have been depressed in the past and this low productivity has stayed on even during times I think the depression lifted (I could feel hope for the future, happiness, etc).
I think I should just pull myself together, but I never do, and now it's been going on such intensely for so many years I'm wondering if I'm just bad at life or it could be something more.
>>
yeah, they make pills for that
>>
>i felt hope, happiness
I don't. Ever. That's how I define depression. I also have DID so it doesn't help me much in getting better. But in some sense it's good because I'm not really affected by my emotions as much. I don't care about myself simply, it's just a vessel that moves about and does things towards stimulating me intellectually.

I've found that the thought of doing productive things appear more frequently when I've worked out (I work out because family is concerned). Perhaps that might help you. Follow a plan and stick to it, measure yourself every week to stay motivated.

It's more productive to try and solve the problem when you have examined what the problem is in more detail. In my case my limitation is when I think of stuff. Yours might be getting off your fat ass and doing stuff. Maybe it's that you're very sensitive to opposition. Like if you decide to go for a jog you're filled with the dread of how rough it is to run. So you quit there.

Can be many reasons you stop.
>>
>>16857699
>I don't. Ever. That's how I define depression.
Yeah that's what I do to, if you notice.

>>16857699
>worked out (I work out because family is concerned). Perhaps that might help you.
I barely ever brush my teeth, I'm too lazy to eat, you think it's likely I'll go to a gym or out for a jogging run? Really?
>>
>>16857767
>defining depression
You asked that's why I answered. Right now you may be depressed and later you may not be, but you may get depressed because you're lazy.
>I can't brush my teeth why do you think I could run.
Why wouldn't you be able to? You're clearly able to run, you know this. Mechanically possible. You do have things that are blocking you though. Your 'laziness'. You need to figure out what it is specifically and deal with that. A good way to do that is actually try to go out and run right now. Or just decide to do 20 situps right now, one at a time if you have to. You don't need training clothes get a towel and do them naked. If you can't do that you should know the reasons why. Then you can ask how to deal with that. You can probably have ideas.

If you don't figure it out I have some ideas about what's going on.
>>
File: 1346535542787.jpg (77 KB, 565x575) Image search: [Google]
1346535542787.jpg
77 KB, 565x575
>>16857636
Try meth. They used to prescibe speed for depression and it works. It also makes you super interested in doing all kinds of shit. You just have to be careful it doesn't make you too interested in sucking dick for more meth. That's not a very productive road in the long run.
>>
>>16857636

>I think I might be depressed
>help me Internet, I'm too retarded to go to a doctors
>>
You better be outside running right now.
>>
>>16857831
33 minutes is a good run op. Well done. Keep going if you can.
>>
>>16857831
One hour op. That's probably enough for a first time. You shouldn't feel any shame in quitting now.
>>
You sound like me, and I have atypical depression. It's a form of major depression, but you're capable of feeling emotions such as happiness and hopefulness. It's rare feelings, but it happens.

Look into it and see if it applies to you.
>>
>>16857807
>adhering to the psychological jew

Depression is a marketing strategy to get you addicted to pills
>>
>>16857791
>>16857831
>>16857921
>>16858017
You really don't get it, do you?
>>
>>16858086
She's doing well. Calm down anon.
>>
>>16858065
Honestly I wouldn't mind if those pills would enable me to actually do something for once.
>>
>>16857636
Normal people have a level of content with their laziness because if it bothered them that much they would just do it, no meme intended.
>>
>>16858094
You have it within you to do anything you want.

Turn off the fucking electronic device you are using and go live your life. Just do it seriously. Turn it off right now.
>>
>>16858101
You say that, while you know nothing about me. Ignorance is a bliss I guess.
>>
>>16858107
If you can't even turn off an electronic device then you don't deserve to be helped
>>
>>16858094
OK. So you don't actually care if your lazy or not op. Because there's no depressed person who couldn't even start to attempt doing situps without realizing how lazy they are. You're also not asking for help. You're just baiting /adv/.

The only people who couldn't focus enough to try to do that are people who have such a depressive moment they should be on the suicide hotline.

Alternatively you're too lazy to care that you're lazy. Why would you make this post then? So clearly just a troll/seeking attention op.
Fuck off.
>>
>>16858116
To be clear (my post wasn't): you don't desire to fix your problems so don't bother people.
>>
>>16858114
I'm already visiting a psychotherapist.
Medicated with Seratonin at the moment, it's not doing shit. They are thinking about changing it up. But whatever, I doubt you are that interested.
>>
>>16858116
I'm not OP...was just answering to the post.s
>>
>>16858134
OK. She got the message though.
>>
>>16858130
>Seratonin
How long? I'm on it and there's a difference, can't say it helps me be happy but there's a difference. Took 5 weeks before the effect kicked in. Before that I just yawned a lot.
>>
>>16858130
Maybe you should get off the useless drugs and learn some self-discipline. It can't be bought. How do you learn it? Form habits that are directly beneficial. I challenge you to do one task right now. Go take a shower, its pretty easy.
>>
>>16858090
I'm "her".

>>16858047
Looking it up right now. First impression is that it fits me fairly well, however not all bits, such as sensitivity to rejection. I have that, but not in excess I think. I do however put myself through quite intense social isolation, but there are several factors there and I can't pinpoint why exactly.
I thought I had social phobia for a while, but things have gotten better, and I identify with few or none of the physical manifestation (like shaking or blushing).

Do you know if one can alter between melancholic depression and atypical perhaps? Or is it one or the other, for each person so to speak? Because now that being able to feel happiness is gone again, I think.

>>16858101
>>16858114
>>16858144
Person you're replying isn't me (though I suppose the replies could as well have been written by me).
Anyways: why don't you fuck off? You truly, truly don't get it. And I'm not upset you're not telling me what I want to hear or whatever, this entire thread is asking people to be honest about if it's depression or laziness. And I want that answered. What I don't want is a smug bastard saying "just go out and live your life", '"just go for a jog". If I wanted half-arsed motivational advice I'd go to tumblr, or I'd make a thread asking for just that.
You've answered the question to your best ability: answer noted, and I am grateful.. But this carpe diem/just do it bullshit is done better at someone who can use it. I didn't ask for motivation, I don't want it, it's not what the thread is about. Spend your time elsewhere.
>>
>>16858136
I really have to disagree with your post though. I have been depressed for a long time. First it was about my looks, so I started working out and lost weight. Now I have a "dancer's body", as some have described. Still depressed as ever, I'm not happy. I just feel empty. I had a task when I started, now I accomplished it and have nothing. I don't care about school, I'm not good in math, chemistry, physics or biology. I won't be anything purposeful, so I just spend my days whoring myself online. Because that's the only thing I'm good for.
>>
>>16858157
Again, not OP. Please clarify this, just mixes it up.
>>
>>16858144
Wait, why are you thinking that I don't take care of myself? I take 2 showers a day, brush my teeth etc. I work out.
Still a sad sack of shit. I don't like people, I just want to disappear.
>>
>>16858148
No, you just want attention and a chat about pharmaceuticals like somebody else mentioned

Typical LAZY stupid fucking woman
>>
>>16858171
The posts you first replied to aren't OP...I'm a guy by the way.
>>
>>16858179
I don't care I'm just shitposting tbqh
>>
>>16858181
But...why?
>>
>>16858181
>tripfags
>>
>>16858186
I was bored, I'm gonna go workout now
>>
>>16858148
OK so you want to specify your problem on a public forum. Ask a question that focuses on your situation. While anon presents ways to find out what your problems are you completely ignore it. You say it's 'half asked motivation' it's not fucking about that. He was clearly helping you with the exact thing you were asking for. Figuring out the nature of your depression/laziness.

If it doesn't bother you to be either, sure you don't have to know the nature of it. You just wanted either of the two categories. But don't even pretend you're not after the attention.
>>16858157
I'd rather believe this. At least this character tried and has problems.

I really hope I don't meet a girl like you irl.
>>
>>16858195
So when you are bored you insult people online? Why?
>>
>>16858196
>girl
Bitch. That's a really dangerous autocorrect.
>>
>>16858196
I am a boy, not a girl.
>>
>>16858203
Its fun, duh
>>
>>16858211
I can't get into this mindset, have a nice workout I guess.
>>
>>16858209
Still a lazy attention seeking bitch though.
>>
>>16858196
>He was clearly helping you with the exact thing you were asking for. Figuring out the nature of your depression/laziness.
How is him telling me to go for jog figuring out my problem?
>>
>>16858217
Attention whoring doesn't work that well when you are anonymous. And isn't this /ad/ thread about depression, the causes of it and etc.? Why am I not allowed to post my own experiences without being labeled as an attention whore?
>>
>>16858218
You ( >>16857767) said you couldn't. Why can you not do that? You label it as 'lazy'. That's incredibly broad. There's many different stages where you can fail. To deal with the issue you need to know what the nature of your laziness is. That's what I think he was after because I'm lazy and that's how I solved it.

I had dread/anxiety whenever I was gonna do something uncomfortable. So I dealt with that, it was hard but I managed.
>>
I had been in a similar situation for years. I couldn't tell if I'm just a useless, lazy piece of shit who sucks at life. For many years I mostly stayed inside during my free time and played video games with the few friends I had. I hated myself. I hated life. I used to look at all the happy people and think they were either lying to themselves about being happy or there's no way I'd ever be happy. It almost felt like I wasn't made to be happy.

My depression was getting to a point where I was slowly but surely considering suicide until I found my way out. Right now I'm gainfully employed, have super active social life, exercise regularly, and in general just am living a great fucking life with great people around me. I love my life right now and I feel happy.

I can't tell you exactly what to do to get here because everyone's life is different. For me, it was a long journey and I tried a lot of things like therapy, meditation, exercise, buddhism, regularly hanging out with people, etc.

You sound like you want to break out of your shell and be happy. That's not lazy. You just don't know how to get there yet. Keep trying OP. Have faith.
>>
>>16858235
>To deal with the issue you need to know what the nature of your laziness is.
But that's what I'm asking in this thread...

I don't have an answer for why I'm this way. I just have absolutely no energy, my limbs feel too heavy. There's no reason behind it as I can see. This is why I'm asking if this is just regular laziness or if it's something more medical, like depression.
Do you see what the thread is about now?
>>
>>16858223
The problem isn't posting your experiences. It's having no reason to do so and being dismissive of answers. It's like if you went to /g/ asking a programming question and then you just say 'nah not gonna try' to everything suggested.
>>
>>16858245
No it's like going to /g/ asking if the line of code is C++ or Java and a neckboard keeps posting about "you should learn Python". It's not what the thread was about. The OP just wanted an answer if it's the one or the other.

Is it an apple or a pear? Eat bananas! I WANT TO SEE YOU EAT BANANAS AND IF YOU DON'T YOU WERE JUST ATTENTIONWHORING
>>
>>16858241
>but that's what I'm asking in this thread
Yeah. But you didn't even try to find out until just now.
>limbs heavy, no energy
It's uncomfortable. Sure. But most people can get past that. So why can't you? Are you really trying? Because if this is it you just want things to be easier.
>>
>>16858258
>But most people can get past that. So why can't you?
That's my fucking question.
That is literally the entire question of this thread.
>>
>>16858254
Except no that's not a good analogy at all because it's more like:
-"is this python code?"
-"does it compile using a python compiler?"
And anon doesn't answer.
>>
>>16858264
Yeah you're not getting it clearly.. Everyone is fucking lazy to the degree you are. But you're not even trying to introspect.
>>
>>16858273
>introspect
Again, that's what this thread is. You really have to read the OP again.
>>
>>16858287
>that's what this thread is
Yes anon. But you're expecting us to know your so intimately we can tell you stuff about the way you experience laziness more than you can. It's pointless. I could tell you a bunch of different ways you could be lazy but if you don't try to figure out what kind of lazy your are it doesn't matter because you can go ahead and pick one way. Like my anxiety. But you can't deal with your problems if it isn't anxiety. And without you trying to find out (using experimentation) you won't get a reliable answer.

I can imagine what being stupid and lazy must be like though.
Pretend it's because the weight of your limbs actually increases when you think you should do some activity. It's as useful as any explanation you've got the potential to find out it seems
>>
>>16858296
>I could tell you a bunch of different ways you could be lazy
Please do.
>>
>>16858302
I'd rather not. Here's a link to a blog that I read to understand days left better that you could read if you weren't lazy.
It explains my thoughts very well. I fit under the 'fear and hopelessness' category.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201505/the-causes-laziness
What I think is missing is the desire to be pitied and maybe something else that doesn't cross my mind atm. It's something I've noticed in my dad, he complains about problems he can easily solve. But he uses the perception he thinks he's conveying to get favors.
>>
>>16858326
>days left
Myself.
>>
>>16858215
Welcome to 4chan
>>
a lot of stuff wrong with people is related to things they put in their body. not just drugs but all kind of things girl in my neighborhood got real sick and died, supposedly she cleaned her vagina with industrial cleaner after her bf cheated.
some things don't belong in the body at all, like the stuff they put in processed population control packaged foods. monosodium glutamate and all kinds of additives coloring and flavorings.
some thing are ok for some people, but not ok for others. milk intolerant for example, or beans, strawberry allergy, gluten and wheat germs, honey. all sorts of things some people can't handle

some react right away, some don't feel it for a few days, so it's hard to figure out what did what to you.

if you eliminate things you know are bad for you, it can't hurt. then check out what you eat with google and see if there are other people with problems from that food. rule out the bad stuff and suspect stuff from what you put in your body.

also look at nutrition and see what you might need that you aren't eating and get some exercise and some sunlight so your body can process vitamins that need sunlight
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.