[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college really worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: glad.jpg (37 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
glad.jpg
37 KB, 395x395
Is college really worth it?
>>
Depends on what you want to get out of it
>>
>>16830557
It can be, but it depends entirely on how you approach it. If your picture is any indication of your intended approach, then I would have to guess that it is probably not.
>>
>>16830557

College is a risk investment.

You are putting yourself in debt with the promise that you will perform well and get out with the skills to acquire a high-paying job.

College is totally worth it if you are going in with the discipline to study, passion for the material you're studying and having to ability to check the demand of the skills you're acquiring on the job market before embarking.

Most of the time though, people go to college because they think its "the next step in life" with no real objective and end up under performing, failing, and acquiring massive debt.
>>
>>16830818
>debt
>debt
>debt

Feels great not being American.
>>
>>16830890
Because every American ends in debt for going to college.
>>
File: 1455171878167.png (52 KB, 228x220) Image search: [Google]
1455171878167.png
52 KB, 228x220
>>16830890
feels great not living under a caliphate
>>
>>16830893
Do they not?
>>
No, go to trade school. I make $42 an hour with godly insurance as a union pipefitter. I'm 26 and I own my house outright and 3 rentals. All of my friends who went to college make half of what I make, if they are lucky, and are in debt up to their eyeballs.
>>
>>16831017
How to find good tradeschools? Do they accept foreigners?
>>
It depends what you actually want to do as a career. What are your skills?

If you don't have any plans for a career path, it isn't the right time for college yet. Work for a few years an develop a plan. College is a means to an end, not a "rite of passage" for high-school grads. That shit is just marketing. There are cheaper ways to catch your first STD
>>
If going for engineering, medicine, or some other highly in demand, guaranteed job position yes.

If you want to have fun and your parents are paying, yes.

If you're not sure what you want to do with your life and you're just going to college because your baby boomer parents majored in business and communications and got a six figure consulting job at age 22, then no. That's not going to happen, in fact you'll be in virtually the same boat as someone with a high school diploma, only in heavy debt.
>>
>>16831027
> Engineering is high in demand

Please stop with the meme, you are literally and unironically ruining people's lives.
>>
>>16831020
One of my buddies I work with is a Serbian, he's naturalized now though. Google local union halls and ask about their apprenticeship program. You have to pay $20-40 to apply. Make a good impression at the hall and call every day, it was Wednesday for me, to bug them about the program. They usually have a set day for apprentices to call in. You can also Google and see if there are any trade schools near you. Find a trade you are interested in like electrician, pipefitter, plumbing, hvac, etc... A trade school will cost you some money, but nothing near what college will. And try to get a union job, they aren't as easy as people make them out to be but they pay better than non union.
>>
>>16831043
Would you under any circumstances be willing to give me an email address to contact you on Sir? I am afraid that my situation may be a little too complicated - and unrelated to this thread - to discuss it in here.
>>
>>16831034
I got a Computer Engineering degree and now make $55k a year at 24.
>>
>>16831049
Sorry buddy, I don't give that stuff out to strangers. It's really not that hard, I did it by bugging the union president for half a year every week. And do people at the hall favors for nothing if you can, ask them if they need any help with anything. Also if you do get into a union go to the meetings. Good luck to you. Google how to join a trade union or trade schools near me. And do not do any 'online trade schools' they are a scam.
>>
>>16831059
What is your projected pay over the next 5 years?
>>
>>16831061
Not that easy.

>> Be German Anon
>> want to move to the US
>> too stupid for jobs like Medicine or Engineering that could get me a greencard later

So now I plan to study abroad and get a degree in accounting and get married during that time so that I can stay after.

Now I'm wondering though if I could possibly get into a trade school instead.
>>
It's always good to have a degree, but not necessary. it depends on what you want to do with your life
>>
JUST,,, fahsdfha
Ugh don't go to college unless you are knowing specifically WHY you are going to college- and what you need to obtain there.
Don't go just to go or to get any degree for the sake of it- right now you're more likely to get screwed.

Really, meditate on your goal- what or where you want to be and critically go over your options of getting there and weigh in your resources with a little reality.

You just have to be working hard at something that's going to help you get where you want to be. Maybe that thing is college- maybe something else.

Find someone who is doing what you want to be doing and figure out how they got there.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.