[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is committing suicide selfish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 84505-004-9AE8CD22.jpg (35 KB, 550x363) Image search: [Google]
84505-004-9AE8CD22.jpg
35 KB, 550x363
Is committing suicide selfish?
>>
A bit. Yes, because there are probably people who would miss you and love you, and no because there's a reason why you're doing it.
>>
>>16826007
You are going to kill yourself, why the fuck would you care, you are doing this for yourself, its a really selfish thing. I wouldn't do it though. I've been depressed for the past 6 years and I still am finding ways to live and try to be happier than yesterday
>>
people who have never had suicidal thought will say yes, people who have will say no. i say no, if they cared about you so much, you wouldn't feel this way, suicidal thoughts are always the last thing somebody goes to when they just cant cope anymore. no, it is not selfish. its selfish for people to keep you alive while you are suffering
>>
Depends.

If you have kids that depend on you yes. If you're just really lonely and depressed or whatever, then no.
>>
>>16826007
No it is not. It is selfish to want to keep someone you love suffering in pain. Like you know they're hurting and the best thing you can tell them is that YOU'RE going to be hurt if they kill themselves? REALLY? Rather than saying anything else you tell them it will cause yourself sadness. If you love someone let them go. If they want to die, then that is up to them. A person's life is their own. People should have the right to end it.
>>
Life is selfish. Having children is selfish as well. It being a selfish act is not what you should be concerned with.
>>
>>16826007
>Is suicide selfish?
It doesn't fucking matter. If a person is contemplating taking their life, it doesn't matter whether it's for selfish reasons or not, because there's bigger issues here.
>>
>>16826007
No, no it's not. If the people you know say that it's selfish ARE the selfish ones. If you die it will make THEM feel bad about themselves, they'll feel guilty and shit (most of them will get over it very soon). which to them is enough justification to say that suicide is wrong. Suicide is Not wrong, it's you're life and you can make your own decisions and only you know your feelings.
>>
There's so many ways this question can be looked at. Assuming you were raised in a functional family, You look at all the time, effort, resources, and love your parents put into you and for you to just end it can be seen as selfish. You are ending your own misery and inflicting it on everyone around you who cared about you.

At the same time you were never asked to be born, you arguably don't deserve to feel the way you do right now. No one can understand that horrible trapped feeling people feel when they are suicidal unless they have experienced it first hand, and if they have then they would understand why someone would actually go through with it, and think it was a logical choice.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's selfish or not.
>>
>>16826432

This is pretty spot on.

Either they're hurting you or you're hurting them. The situation is bad on both sides and that's just how it is sometimes
>>
>>16826007
No. What's selfish is to demand that someone continue living in what is to them a situation worse than death just because it would hurt your feelings if they left.
>>
>>16826049
>there are people who would miss you and love you

Sometimes, there really isn't. I hate this argument.

Anyway, suicide is seflish, but you need to be. Being selfish is taking care of you. Suicide is short-sighted. 99% of the time, you feel hopeless when you actually aren't.
>>
>>16826007
Yes, dead people can't pay taxes.
>>
>>16826007
It's not a useful thing to tell someone who is considering suicide. They tend not to find the argument compelling, and so you wind up getting tossed on the heap as one more judgmental fucktard, and getting off of that heap is quite hard once you're on it. This makes the task of talking them down much harder, once you've made the mistake.

But between two people who aren't considering suicide (one of whom did, briefly)? Yes. It's selfish.
>>
>>16826432
>No one can understand that horrible trapped feeling people feel when they are suicidal unless they have experienced it first hand, and if they have then they would understand why someone would actually go through with it, and think it was a logical choice.
Um, no. Been there, done that, burned the motherfucking T-shirt. The horrible trapped feeling really is like you say, except for one thing: there is nothing whatsoever of logic in it.
>>
Committing suicide is fucking stupid. I don't really care if it's selfish, because selfish behaviors aren't always bad, but suicide... yeah, suicide's basically always bad.

The only exception is when you're already terminally ill, in which case I think physician-assisted suicide should be legal.

I've been suicidal before. It's a symptom of mental illness. Get some goddamn treatment.
>>
File: 1455857925905.jpg (84 KB, 1292x927) Image search: [Google]
1455857925905.jpg
84 KB, 1292x927
You want to kill yourself now the world is your oyster

Somebody post picture screenshots of the world is your oyster
>>
>>16828653
That's some stupid shit written by a person who was never depressed. If you think that shit makes sense I hope you learn the hard way why you're wrong.
>>
>>16826007
Every single voluntary act is selfish. Alturism is by definition impossible.

You were born as the result of the selfishness of your parents, Mother Teresa worked in India out of selfishness. Killing yourself is just as selfish.
>>
Nobody exists for a reason, no one belongs anywhere, everybody is going to die.
>>
I've covered this several times before.
But everyone else is an idiot, because they use "false dilemma fallacies" and "personal incredulity"... which means they're complete morons and should never come to ADV if they don't know what the fuck LOGICAL FALLACIES are (which is ridiculous because it takes 15 seconds to master a master list of fallacies).

Look, people kill themselves for MULTITUDES of reasons.
Sometimes emotional, other times rational, and very often a mixture of the two.

Also, not everyone has someone that loves them.
That's just an absolute fact.
Not if you defined love as someone that trusts you, respects you, cares about you and doesn't treat you in such a way you lose your dignity.

So it's selfish if you're not really in a tight spot and just wish to be a coward and not wait things out.

However, only about 1/100 suicides are like that.
Most are people that are caught in a forever spiraling down oppressive lifestyle forced upon them by narcissistic controlling psychopaths.
I know because I research this crap and am an advocate for mental health issues.

So it can be selfish, but rarely is that the case.

Also, you morons need read up on Cato The Younger.

You retards need to learn how to read.
>>
Lul, It's your body and your life. I've felt much and lost more... I know I will die some day. Fuck you for taking away another one of my rights. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness my ass...
>>
>>16829220
Existentialism > Nihilism
Nihilism = Sophism/Solipsism
You need to finish your Philosophical studies because you're only 1/10 of the way there.
>>
>>16826007
I think it's more selfish to tell someone to keep living a life that they aren't getting any satisfaction from. If you told someone not to kill themselves and then tried to help them improve their life, it's another story. But most people just say what they were told was right and then go about their happy lives being satisfied with themselves for doing jackshit for anyone but themselves.
>>
Rick and Morty > Existentialism
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.