[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sand Blaster job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: sandblast 024.jpg (70 KB, 388x255) Image search: [Google]
sandblast 024.jpg
70 KB, 388x255
I got offered on the spot a sand blasting job. Anyone have any experience? Is it a shit job? I watched the process, didn't look that bad. But yet I'm the only applicant for the job and that worries me.
>>
I once sandblasted stuff for a couple of hours, but just like little parts. Actually quite cool, because its a work where you can see the progress right in front of you.

If there is some money in it and you don't have anything better, why not do it? Unless you have asthma or something.
>>
>>16810319

It doesn't matter if you have asthma because you need to be wearing fully protective breathing gear no matter what.
>>
>>16810166

Do you have complete protective gear?,micro dust is dangerous
>>
>>16810336
All protective gear is provided or the manager says he'll buy anything I'd request. They have the hood like pic related and dust masks for when not sand blasting.

>>16810319
Yeah I thought it was sort of cool. Seemed a little weird that I have no competition for the job is all.
>>
My uncles and dad have done it for years, made a good living off of it and enjoyed it. Definitely be wary of what >>16810336 said, ensure you have the proper gear. They started doing it in the 70's/80's when it wasn't was strict and have respiratory conditions from it.

It sounds like a good opportunity, if all the safety's in place.
>>
>>16810352
>Seemed a little weird that I have no competition for the job is all.

The economy is improving.
>>
File: 1454745496367.jpg (166 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454745496367.jpg
166 KB, 1080x1080
>>16810166
>Anyone have any experience?
Did it for a few years before I moved in to the paint shop.

>Is it a shit job?
It has it's ups and downs. It gets a little boring as you don't really get to talk to anyone most of the time, and because it's so repetitive by 2pm you start loosing track of what you're doing. The constant monotone drone of the ventilations system doesn't help either. Pays well though, especially if you're quick at it.

>All protective gear is provided or the manager says he'll buy anything I'd request. They have the hood like pic related and dust masks for when not sand blasting.
Reality check: it doesn't matter if you wear a fucking spacesuit, sit inside the dust extractor for an hour before you take it off then take a million showers - everything is going to be covered in dust, allways. You, your car, your home, your nutsack, everything. It's just one of those things you have to get used to.
>>
Shit work, low hours and high pay. I say go for it unless you have dependents.
>>
File: 1407024434265.jpg (87 KB, 584x976) Image search: [Google]
1407024434265.jpg
87 KB, 584x976
I accepted the job. YOLO

>>16810770
Turned out there was a lot of applicants he said, I was the second and the first was a lot older so he just chose me.

>>16810814
This one seems like a good starter position, not sure if I want sand blasting to become a career. But it's nice I'll have the experience. I understand sand will be everywhere, the anon was concerned about the safety equipment.

>>16810826
They're paying "$12-14/hr DOE" I'm guessing I'll start at $12/hr since I have no experience.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.