[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should our generation be tougher? I always have this nagging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 1
File: 50s-family.jpg (244 KB, 1000x1218) Image search: [Google]
50s-family.jpg
244 KB, 1000x1218
Should our generation be tougher?

I always have this nagging feeling that I should be tough like my grandparents were. They were tough as fuck. They got on with things and didn't complain. I have spent quite a lot of time with my grandma recently and it's actually quite shocking just how different life was back then, in the middle of the 20th century.

Does anybody else feel this?
>>
My grandmother was raped by Russian soldiers during their occupation of East German, almost starved to death several times and thinks that I'm spoiled for not suffering like she did. She has borderline personality disorder and PTSD and abused the shit out of my mom.

I'd rather not emulate her example, and seek to be a healthy, well-rounded individual instead.
>>
Im sure they complained just as much, just didn't have the venues to let thousands of others read those complaints...
>>
>>16796474
I did. Then i thought about it a bit more. The problem is people these days are made to act mature before they actually are.
Rather than doing stuff when they're ready, people feel pressured to go to school or start relationships when they don't have the means to succeed. That anybody does succeed at all is blind luck.
>>
>>16796474
Every generation thinks the generation following them is weak and that the previous generation was stronger and better. Your grandpa probably thought your dad's generation was bad just like your dad thinks your generation is bad just like you'll think the next generation is bad. This is old news. Move along people nothing to see here.
>>
>>16796484
>they complained just as much
Of course they did. It's human nature. Been happening since speech began.
>>
>>16796474
By tough do you mean emotionally stunted?

Also, never glorify the past because it was never as good as you remember or anyone has told you it was.
>>
>>16796478
>She has borderline personality disorder and PTSD
Modern labels for made up things. Back in the day you just got on with it.
>abused the shit out of my mom
Selfish child blaming their parents for everything and not taking responsibility for their own failures.
>well-rounded individual
Another modern meme. Back in the day you didn't care about being "well-rounded". Nothing was "well-rounded". You sought to do the best you could in life, no matter what.

Maybe I'm wrong but I keep seeing things through this lens now, because I realise that it used to be that tough for people. And I realise that we are all just faggots who have had life way too easy. We are all spoilt. The comforts that every single one of us has enjoyed would have been UNIMAGINABLE to our parents and most of all grandparents. And I just think to myself, if I want to be somebody that isn't spoilt, and if I want to be a tough person who can actually take care of themselves and take responsibility for themselves, then I need to take those lessons from my grandparents' generation.

Or are all those views outdated now? Do you just have to move with the times?

I am sorry if it is insulting that I say your mum is selfish anon, really I don't know anything about your mum so maybe she is in the right. I am just trying to present that side of the argument, playing devil's advocate if you will.
>>
>>16796500
Clearly, experts in clinical psychology and psychiatry have no idea what they're doing and just made up mental illnesses out of thin air.

The fact that they didn't have names for these things "back in the day" doesn't mean they didn't exist -- it just meant we didn't understand the phenomenon enough to label it yet.

People used to die of cancer before they had an idea what the hell it was. Nowadays we can diagnose and treat it, and it's the same for mental disorders like BPD.

And I dunno, I don't think our grandparents lived in a much harder world, usually. The simple comforts -- indoor heating in the winter, comfortable chairs, a light with which to read -- have been there that long.

Being hardcore is awesome, but do it for a purpose, not because you don't want to be a wimp.

Also: if you think that abuse is "selfish child blaming their parents for everything and not taking responsibility for their own failures", you don't understand abuse. No offense, but that isn't even slightly how it works. Identifying that you've been abused is the first step, and everything after that is building yourself up to be a healthy and whole person.
>>
>>16796484
>>16796493
>>16796495
>>16796496
>>16796499
These all seem like valid points about perspective. However, I really think our grandparents generation (assuming you're late teens or early twenties like me) were tougher. I think that's where the real generational gap lies, between our grandparents and parents, rather than between our parents and us (my parents for example were born in the fifties and grew up in the 60s and 70s, when free love was becoming a thing, and they listened to rock music, they drank, took drugs, etc - obviously my grandparents didn't do any of that stuff).

And you might all think this is moot, but I think there's a real point to it. My grandparents were happily married their entire lives, and had three children. They were also very sensible with finances and provided for themselves well into retirement. Whereas my parents got divorced, and haven't been as financially sensible. And I think that's the same story for many, many people. Looser morals have resulted in people getting divorced, getting into financial difficulties because of carelessness, and also not having as many children (when of course, really, having children is the purpose to your life).
>>
>>16796525
I reject your old stuffy morals and family values. I spend my money frivolously, have no interest in marriage or children, and do many things your grandparents hate. When I die I'll die not giving a single fuck about any of your traditional institutions.
>>
>>16796510
>The fact that they didn't have names for these things "back in the day" doesn't mean they didn't exist -- it just meant we didn't understand the phenomenon enough to label it yet.
Well the counter-argument would be that doctors are too sensitive nowadays. We know that some people are too sensitive, right? E.g. I would argue that "Seasonal Affective Disorder" is not a real thing. Everyone gets unhappier when it's dark and cold in the winter, therefore I don't buy that it's a real "mental illness" like some people say it is. So you could argue that other mental illnesses also fall into that category. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but yeah.
If I think about my grandparents, I am absolutely certain they suffered from "depression" at some point in their lives, because it's a natural human emotion. But they wouldn't have had that name for it then, and they wouldn't have felt the need to medicate for it. They just gritted their teeth and bore the pain.
>Also: if you think that abuse is "selfish child blaming their parents for everything and not taking responsibility for their own failures", you don't understand abuse. No offense, but that isn't even slightly how it works. Identifying that you've been abused is the first step, and everything after that is building yourself up to be a healthy and whole person.
As I say I don't know your situation and I don't want to offend you so I won't comment on your mother or grandmother specifically because that's not fair of me. But I would like to present this idea about abuse - what do you think about girls who make false rape accusations? Girls who have drunk sex and then later decide that what they did was actually rape by the guy? There's always a spectrum, and it's difficult to pinpoint where you draw the line for abuse. And I am sure that for our grandparents generation, that threshold was higher than it is these days.
>>
>>16796535
>have no interest in marriage or children
Okay, well then being serious for a moment, and not playing devil's advocate, I definitely think that's wrong. It's the purpose of every single organism on this planet to procreate. So I think that if you don't have children, you have objectively wasted your life.

Sorry if you disagree. Whether old values about marriage, jobs, responsibility, etc. are 'right', I don't know. But on the idea of children, I definitely think it is right to have children, and I think it's wrong to throw away your life without having children. Wrong in the sense that you haven't fulfilled your potential. And wrong in the sense that you are letting down your parents, who almost certainly wish you would have children.
>>
>>16796557
I don't give a single shit. When my life is over and I fall back into that endless void whether I had children or not will be completely inconsequential.
>>
>>16796561
Except it won't be. Really children is the only thing that is of consequence about your life. That's the only part of you that will continue to exist in this world after you die.
>>
>>16796574
But I'll be dead. I don't care. It's not worth the hassle of spending 18 years of my life on a kid. I'd rather enjoy those 18 years instead.
>>
>>16796581
You will have objectively wasted your life. What is the point of life if it isn't to have children? There is no other point. The process of evolution creates reproduction machines. Organisms that are the most efficient at producing offspring are those that survive and proliferate. If you don't procreate, you've failed as an organism. And you will be the first in your line of ancestry to fail at this. Every SINGLE ancestor that you have had, from humans to neanderthal men, back to sea-dwelling creatures and single-celled organisms - EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has successfully reproduced in order to create you. Your purpose as an organism is to proliferate those genes as much as you can (obviously this is why animals impregnate as many females as they can - that's how they proliferate their seed and their genes as much as possible). So yeah. If you don't do that you've failed in your only objective purpose.
>>
>>16796593
Zzzz I don't care. I define my purpose in life.
>>
>>16796601
this website is 18+ anon
>>
>>16796601
No you don't, all you do is lie to yourself. You can't change nature.
>>
>>16796500
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
Just because you have an horizon the radius of a fist that does not mean that the world works like that, fagget.

Germanfag here. When our soldiers came home - some of them russian POW, who didn't see home until the 1950s - they didn't say much about what happend in the war. Guys from the SS as well. Back then we had no psychological knowledge, so these guys just went home, got drunk to the point of oblivion and beat their family pretty badly.

And then, when these guys grew old, and were about to die, they suddenly talked. Terrible things. How they erased entire villages - "burned soil strategy". Things that has bothered them for the rest of their lives. They never received any kind of therapy for that, instead they were crippled people.

Modern label, your ass - from which you are talking.
>>
>>16796593
> objectively

You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means
>>
>>16796604
I am 18+. Stay small, child. When you're grown up then you'll realize you can make decisions for yourself.

>>16796605
Nature doesn't fucking care if I procreate or not. I'll live by my standards and decide for myself what my purpose is in life. Keep being shackled to your misguided ideas. I'll be enjoying my life :)
>>
>>16796593
I cannot disagree with any of this.
>>
>>16796609
But maybe that is just part of life? I am absolutely certain that men who fought in previous wars, like WWI, the American civil war, or even Roman warriors back in the first century AD - all of them will have seen and experienced horrible things that greatly affected them.

In that sense it definitely is a modern label. No previous society has had a label for it. Those soldiers also probably beat their wives and got drunk to deal with their demons.

So it seems the reason we came up with that label is because we wanted those men to be able to deal with the problems of war without beating their wives. Which is fair enough I guess. And i would admit that is probably a good argument for refining old values.
>>
>>16796630
You will have wasted your life, and my children will live and have their own children and grandchildren and great grandchildren, long after you have rotted into the ground.
>>
>>16796609
Yet most PTSD you hear about today from veterans is about being scared of gunfire or explosions, and they are "scarred" for life without even doing/being subject to something terrible. Fucking pussies in our military today.
>>
>>16796642
Cool. I'll be dead. You'll be dead. None of us will be capable of caring. I don't give a fuck about future generations. I live for now and I live for myself.
>>
>>16796652
hows middleschool?
>>
>>16796656
I don't know. It's been about 15 years. I'm sure there are still plenty of middle schools, though, and they're probably doing alright.
>>
>>16796642
Nor the other poster, but "and?..."

Life is pointless, everything dies or is destroyed eventually. Each individual thus makes their own purpose unique to them, which cannot be logically argued against by anyone who is not them. You have your purpose of continuing the species for fuck knows what reason, and everyone else has their own purpose. No one wastes their life unless they make a purpose for themselves and do nothing to try and fulfill it.
>>
>>16796652
That's the attitude of a loser. Which is exactly what you will be. Because you will have lost at the contest of life.
>>
>>16796668
Shhh.. This guys ego can't possibly handle the thought that there might be people who don't want to do the things he does. Such a revelation would destroy him.
>>
Yep, this generation is a bunch of pussy faggots.
>>
>>16796645
I'd observe it from another point of view.

If modern soldiers are suffering from PTSD, because they have experienced these traumatic events - what kind of horror would normal WWI or WWII soldiers have faced?

I have read books which revolved about the afterlife of solders in WWI. Most of them were completely utterly broken. The only thing they were good for was military. And then, in the 1920s, the german military was limited to 100.000 soldiers. In other words: they were not suitable for civilian work, which wasn't even there because of the depression, and military work wasn't available either.

And then people keep wondering why Hitler was elected.
>>
>>16796645
PTSD back then was for the same things and it was common as fuck. Do some PTS research. VetAnon here with no PTS but my WWII vet father had it (heavy combat in Italy and Germany) and I encountered many SEA and Sand Box vets who have it.

One vet with serious PTS was from a heavily decorated (many Purple Hearts) Iraq vet whose unit was stationed under the immediate flight path of outgoing MLRS battery. They are incredibly loud and that as well as other shit he saw doing combat camera work fucked his shit up.

If ya don't know, don't talk shit.
>>
>>16796675
>Life is a contest
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha nigger you had me going for awhile but you fucked up there. 8/10 troll attempt. Well played sir. Well played.
>>
>>16796668
>Each individual thus makes their own purpose unique to them, which cannot be logically argued against by anyone who is not them.
If you're a child, yeah.
>No one wastes their life unless they make a purpose for themselves and do nothing to try and fulfill it.
Any other "purpose" is invented. Yeah, it's nice to teach kids or something and leave a legacy on the world that way. But that's a very minimal concern compared to the survival of your own genes. That's the only legacy that really matters.
>>
>>16796677
If you don't want to then you're a weak organism, it's as simple as that. The urge to procreate is one of the most basic urges along with breathing and eating. It's the reason we want to fuck fit birds. If you don't want to impregnate attractive women then you're a weak man to be honest.
>>
>>16796677
>Shhh.. This guys ego can't possibly handle the thought that there might be people who don't want to do the things he does. Such a revelation would destroy him.

You, sir, are either a troll or a retard.

>Each individual thus makes their own purpose unique to them, which cannot be logically argued against by anyone who is not them. You have your purpose of continuing the species for fuck knows what reason, and everyone else has their own purpose.
>>
>>16796686
Go take a look at silverback gorillas who fight each other to the death for the right to impregnate females. Then come back and tell me that life isn't a contest.
>>
>>16796636
The roman warriors in the first century AD had a very peaceful time to live in, dude
>>
>>16796689
>>16796697
>>16796698
Hahaha oh wow you're actually serious aren't you? If so, you're a sad pathetic little man. I sure hope your kids will validate your existence for you. Please, keep churning out children. Us real men need them to work in our factories and companies.
>>
>>16796712
We're not gorillas you fucking imbecile. Thankfully we've risen about the base nature of primates. Clearly you haven't though. Maybe you'd like to join these Gorillas you covet so much?
>>
>>16796716
You're joking aren't you
>>16796720
I'm the guy who posted the first two but not the third.
Do you understand the concept of time? My children wouldn't be old enough to work for you until you're dead. And you won't have a son to take over the family business, because you say you don't need children.
Maybe on your deathbed you'll realise you were the pathetic one, not having the balls to take on the responsibility of having children.
>>
>>16796728
This is the most deluded thing I have ever heard

If you can't even recognise your own nature as an animal then your genes deserve to perish.
>>
>>16796689
I'm done. I'm obviously arguing with a child who never formed any critical thinking skills beyond "if I have kids, they will continue my legacy and I'll be a winner in life and all the kids on the playground will finally look up to me!"

If you ever think that people can have opinions that differ from yours, and that doesn't automatically make them invalid,then we can talk. Until then, I earnestly wish you the best in your endeavors.
>>
>>16796741
But your "opinions" are wrong.
>>
>>16796746
>I know because my opinions are right!1!!
>>
>>16796756
I don't think my opinions are right on everything, I just think that it's the biological purpose of any organism to procreate, and I think that is as true as the fact that grass is green and the sky is blue.
>>
>>16796777
Nice trips, but apart from that your post is bull.

Why? Well, because everything you have used to manifest your position is SUBJECTIVE. Just entirely subjective. Die-hard christians think that abortion is a crime and sex outside marriage should be forbidden (fun fact: these are the guys whose kids then get pregnant in their teenage years). Problem is, we are self-centered, and thus automatically think that what we are thinking and believing in is right and correct.

I don't know if grass is green and the if the sky is blue. I just see them as such. I might perceive them differently though. In the end of the day, it's just a subjective observation. And that's fine as long as you don't claim the ultimate truth for yourself. Hell, even scientists don't claim the ultimate truth for themselves. The base theorem in sciences is falsifiability. Nothing is true, everything's permitted.

If it helps you with your daily life, OK. But don't assume that it's objectively right just because you believe so.
>>
>>16796746
Ok, I bit, but this is the last one you get. *sigh* maybe if I pretend I'm talking to a child it will help.

You think brown is the best color, I think redis the best color. Who is right?

The answer is neither of us*, because opinions on things like "best color" cannot be measured or quantified, and thus cannot have any sense of objective truth to them. You can measure favorite colors of the entire human population and perhaps get some consensus on the most favored color, but it doesn't make anyone else's favorite color less valid. Likewise, even if most people felt their purpose in life was to have and raise children, it doesn't invalidate the belief of another person that their purpose in life is to write the best techno-dino-noir novella the world has ever seen. Understand?
>>
>>16796820
Let me put it another way then. Procreation being the purpose of an organism's life is as true as the fact that every water molecule is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. It is as true as the fact that the sun fuses hydrogen atoms into helium. It's as true as the fact that I have a brain, and a heart, and lungs, and a stomach. And as true as the fact that the earth is currently exerting a gravitational force upon my body.

It's just a fact of evolution. The organisms that are best at procreation are those that have survived. Every animal is essentially a machine, the function of which is to reproduce.

Whether abortion is or should be a crime is a moral question with only subjective answers. But whether or not it is the function of an animal to reproduce is a scientific question, a factual question. And it is. Surely any scientist would tell you that it is the function of an organism to reproduce.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QqgNcktbSA

The way things are going, our generation will be the last with any shred of toughness.

I can't even imagine the world today's "progressives" are trying to build. If people aren't taught to deal with ANY conflict or hostility when they're young, they're just going to lose their minds when they're faced with it as adults.
>>
How old are you OP? I have this weird feeling that you're on of those teens who gets suckered into believing the 50s were the pinnacle of times.
>>
>>16796863
You offended me, police is on their way
>>
>>16796829
Biological function isn't a subjective question though. All organisms have basic functions - breathing, digesting, metabolising, excreting (I can't remember what the definitive list is). And they also have the function of reproducing. All the other functions just serve that function at the end of the day. The only reason an organism breathes and eats and keeps itself alive is to reproduce.

Humans like to think they're "above" animals, that we have a more noble purpose, but it doesn't make it so. We've always invented stories of God and religion to pretend like we own the earth and all the animals, as if it is our divine right. It's not really. We just want to eat and fuck and proliferate ourselves as much as possible, just like any other organism, and inventing noble purposes helped us do that.

So even today, people will invent purposes for themselves, such as writing a book or whatever, because it makes them feel like they are useful and leaving a legacy. Especially if they can't have kids for whatever reason, they will be tempted to invent such a purpose. But that doesn't change their most basic biological function and purpose, which is to procreate. Writing a book might entertain some people, but it doesn't ensure the survival of your genes, which is the ultimate biological function of your body.
>>
>>16796886
I'm 24. I don't know what the best times were, I just want to be tougher and stronger, and preferably have a marriage that doesn't end in divorce.
>>
Reality will make you tough, whether you like it or not. Your parents will not live long enough to eternally enable you to remain a child.

Millennials seem especially limp wristed, because they're practically fresh out of their parents' homes, and the vast majority of American parents have absolutely NOT prepared their children for the tribulations of life.
Part of this is due to the failing public education system. Standards are at an all time low, and fudging is at an all-time high. My little sister, for instance, is getting a C in an algebra class in which she doesn't do the homework and she doesn't pass the exams. More and more students are needing to take trig, and even algebra, in college.

All of this and a good deal more, however, is completely on their parents. They could not be fucked with parenting, they could not be fucked with paying attention to politics at even the most local level, and they could not be fucked to instill values in their children. The parents have not instilled values in their children, so Hollywood, universities, social media, and the rancid filth that infests the public sector have graciously taken it upon themselves.

If you feel like your parents have failed you in this way, you're in good company, and you'd best start thinking about what you're going to do about it.
>>
Do people really believe that having children is the point of life?

The death of everyone and everything is inevitable. You may have a longer lasting influence if you have children but it all comes to an unavoidable end sooner or later, making all of it ultimately pointless.
>>
>>16796925
You can face your mortality alone or with family at your bedside.
The choice is yours, but believing that your choice is the right choice for everyone else (or even the majority of everyone else) is childish and pompous.
>>
>>16796918
This rings so very true anon.
>>16796925
>>16796969
I don't think it's about even having a family, although personally I want a family. Do animals have families? No, they just fuck and procreate as much as possible. Really that is the only objective function of any organism, human beings included: to have as many offspring as possible.
>>
Every generation has had weaklings and complainers. Be tough just for the sake of having a happier life on average.
>>
ITT: retarded breeders being retarded. Nothing new there!
>>
>>16796474
Not to be cruel, but there's a damn good chance your grandma's lying.

Unless she was strangling nazis with her bare hands (wifes best friends grandmother was polish resistance, and was, disturbingly, the most antI semetic woman I ever met), chances are they are telling you a few stories for your benefit. Things were harder back then, but just as you wouldn't survive the world then, they probably wouldn't survive the world today. There are too many variables of finance, education, and technology as well as just plain being in the right place at the wrong time to say "life was genuinely better when (insert whatever here)". My dad is a great example. Grew up in an awful neighborhood in an awful city in an awful country(at the time) outside of the us. He could have had a good life there if he just sold drugs like everyone else. But he didn't want that life, so things were incredibly harder for him
>>
If old people are supposed to be super strong and tough and able to handle themselves in any situation then why do they struggle so much? Are we supposed to believe that they are able to outwit nazy guards AND YET don't have the wits to understand how an email works? That they can survive in the wilderness with only a knife but can't learn the basics of proper nutrition? That they are able to endure severe mental trauma and not give a fuck about the worst of social environments AND YET can't handle that their neighbor is homosexual?

Or maybe, maybe, they just talk big with nothing to show. Who would have believed?
>>
>>16796474
Everyone was tougher back then because of the poverty, I'm as tough as I can be in a middle class family, my ancestors were country people including my father and would usually eat onions and salt, hell my grandparents lived near some russian immigrants that roped people off their horses and cured them with salt to eat them
>>
>Can support a family working an mediocre-paying full time job
>Mortgages cheap as fuck
>Cars cheap as fuck
>Strong dollar
>"tough", as if they struggled or wanted for anything

Yeah fuckin' right... Middle class are spoiled brats.
>>
I'm not against having children, OP, but at my conditions.

For example, they must leave me free time for myself and not bother me when I'm busy, or I will beat them and make sure they know things would be better if they were dead.

Now I know that's wrong, but so is expecting me to become a slave with no life of her own. It's my right to defend my interests. Why can't your type understand that?
>>
>>16796642
That's not how it works. People who stood out and enjoyed their lives are the ones remembered, unlike slave stock #689004 who just spent their lives slaving away for their betters. But hey, do reproduce, the upper class needs slaves to work for them.
>>
>>16798136
I think the old disciplinary methods need to be brought back. The 3-year-old bothers you when you just want to play a videogame? Make him stand facing the corner in shame, belt him, punch him, kick him, beat him with a wood or steel object, lock him somewhere he can't get out of, call him degrading names, starve him, you know the good ol' things your grandparents did. With how much he admires their generation, I'm sure OP approves.
>>
>>16798136
AMPLE free time for myself.
>>
>>16796975
>>16798136 here.

All I can perceive is my own life. What functions for others doesn't mean anything to me if it makes me unhappy.

That's what your type doesn't understand, and that's why family tragedies happen.
>>
>>16796474
>Should our generation be tougher?
It depends on your definition of "tough". There is definitely a crisis of resiliency going on, as more and more people just up and crumble over things that should not be difficuly to endure. In that sense, we really do need to be tougher.

But the word "tough" implies more than just resiliency. It also implies a certain coldness, even aloofness, that I'm not so sure we need. I suspect that we discarded resiliency in the name of discarding things, and ultimately I don't think that trade was worthwhile, but we WERE trying to throw out bathwater when the baby slipped back onto the tub.
>>
>>16798244
Damn right. It shouldn't be difficult for men to shut up and obey their women, yet they whine and complain so much.
>>
>>16798253
so do women… at least we dont have a movement for it. you have feminist which is mostly bull shit.
>>
>>16798253
Ugh. Fucking redpillers. But if you want an example of people crumbling when they should have been able to bear up under the pressure, they provide a strong example "OH NOES she said no 2 me but women r hors why dont they slep wiv me BAWWWW!!!11"
>>
>>16798254
Looking out for yourself when the opposite gender just largely wants to oppress and enslave you ain't bullshit, kiddo.
>>
>>16798269
>males want to enslave women

do you go outside? i dont know a single guy that is against womens right.

you obviously dont live in the real world. women are equal to men, if not more. more women attend university in my country. most of the shit feminists complain about apply equally to men but they convey it as though they are victims. for example they will complain that men are more likely to get labour based jobs but women are equally more likely to get jobs that deal with babies. a lot of the books i read, lecures and seminars deal with feminist based subjects. this isn't the 19th century.
>>
>>16798280
>i dont know a single guy that is against womens right

You obviously don't browse /pol/ or /r9k/.
>>
>>16798289
i used to browser r9k. they are just edgy basement dwellers. I'm referring to people in real life that actually impact society. you can't judge the entire male population on them. this would be like judging all women based on the actions of a few feminazis.
>>
>>16798289
They don't go outside and contribute so they don't count.
>>
>>16798289
also, 4chan is the worst example you can give in regards to the reflection of society. A lot of people here are outcasts. this the weird part of the internet. this isn't fucking "normal"
>>
>>16798254
You don't think the redpillers, MGTOWs, GamerGate, and similar groups constitute a movement? They have yet to unite under one banner, it's true, but that only makes it disorganized, not a non-movement.
>>
>>16798136
>>16798214
OP here, I never said anything about free time or any crap like that, I am just saying it's your biological function to have children

And I even said that really the most logical thing for any animal is to impregnate as many females as possible, so actually the ideal thing would be to travel the world and just impregnate as many women as you can find and then hope the children don't come back to you.

But I think there's laws about that these days with paying child support and shit, so it's obviously pretty difficult to do that now.
>>
>>16796474
I get what you're saying

Fortunatly i can't live though the depression and WW2 first hand so ill never experience the hard ship they had to
>>
>>16798538
It's my biological function to make myself happy and satisfied before any other non-basic biological functions like eating, shitting or breathing.
If a child interferes with that, he'll end up dead.
When the conditions are right and he doesn't interfere anymore, he'll be allowed to live.
>>
>>16798392
OP here and I fucking hate those sorts of twats so fucking much. Pathetic keyboard warriors. How can you think you are a man if you are bashing away on a keyboard and whining about the world being against you? That's the most pathetic shit I have ever seen in my entire fucking life.

HOWEVER

I do think there is a serious point underlying all of that anger, bitterness, resentment felt by some men. And I think it's all because of shifting attitudes of what is expected of men. It always used to be expected that men should be tough and aggressive, but nowadays society wants men to be "in touch with their feminine side" and all that bullshit, and it leaves young men today thinking "well what the fuck am I supposed to be?"

I found this article and thought it summed up the issue pretty well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530741/Theres-no-room-MANLY-Controversial-feminist-writer-Camille-Paglia-speaks-against-loss-masculine-virtues-negative-impact-society.html
>>
>>16798555
>It's my biological function to make myself happy and satisfied
Not really no. That's called hedonism. Your ultimate biological function is to procreate, even if doing so, or being able to do so, requires you to endure things that are horrifically painful or unpleasant for whatever reason.
>If a child interferes with that, he'll end up dead.
>When the conditions are right and he doesn't interfere anymore, he'll be allowed to live.
Wow such a fucking badass

5 E D G Y 1 0 M E
E
D
G
Y
M
E
>>
>>16798565
"In touch with your feminine side" just means be a good man who's not violent with her and is instead tender, patient, understanding, kind, gentle, obedient, generous, amorous and affectionate, and respects his wife's wishes.

You can be masculine without being a thug. There's a difference between a man who gets angry when his wife is threatened by a nigger and a man who yells and beats her because she wants to go out with friends.
>>
>>16798571
>Your ultimate biological function is to procreate, even if doing so, or being able to do so, requires you to endure things that are horrifically painful or unpleasant for whatever reason

That's bullshit tho. You're saying an organism's function is basically to suffer. If you say that, then you're giving even more reason to those who don't want to deal with that shit, that's the sane thing to do if life is such shit.
>>
>>16796697

I feel like I am a weak organism, and that is why I choose to think about how life is meaningless. Help me
>>
>>16798586
>tender
GAY
>patient
GAY
>understanding
GAY
>kind
GAY
>gentle
GAY
>obedient
LITERALLY THE MARK OF A FAGGOT
>generous
GAY
>amorous
GAY
>affectionate
GAY
>respects his wife's wishes
SUPER GAY

You're trolling aren't you? I'm guessing you are
>>
>>16798596
Except reproduction does not equate to suffering, moron. Angsty teens seriously need to fuck off.
>>
>>16796500

Yeah how awful, the same shitty menial work that today won't even get you an apartment would have financed a full house + wife and kids. How tough, poor them
>>
>>16798596
>You're saying an organism's function is basically to suffer.
No I'm saying an organism's function is to reproduce. And many animals endure pain in order to reproduce because reproducing is their function.
>If you say that, then you're giving even more reason to those who don't want to deal with that shit, that's the sane thing to do if life is such shit.
If you don't have children you've failed as an organism, it's as simple as that
>>16798856
Probably because you feel like you are unable to fulfil your biological purpose, which is of course to reproduce. If you don't think you have chances of impregnating women then life loses its one and only true meaning.

Lift weights, get big, socialise more, etc.
>>
>>16798865
Gays are the complete opposite of those things, faggot. You're closer to gays by being the brute they dream of than by acting like a decent man.
>>
>>16798870
That's pure crap, I laugh at your ignorance
>>
>>16798874
Okay just shut up, your bait is fucking terrible
>>
>>16798871
>And many animals endure pain in order to reproduce because reproducing is their function

Sounds retarded to me. I've got bigger aspirations than that. I don't care about failing as an organism, I care about succeeding as myself.
>>
>>16798879
But it's true. Why do you think rape is so rampant among gays. They are literal violent apes.
>>
Cleanthes spent years studying philosophy and working as a water carrier at night. His mind grew wise, and his body grew strong. When he was appointed as head of the Stoa, the city of Athens offered him a full pension to teach philosophy, but he rejected it, choosing instead to teach by day and continue working at night.

He loved challenge, exertion, difficulty. He knew he was stronger than his feelings, and did not allow them to stop him. He accepted difficulty, in full knowledge that when he persisted with calm where others complained, moaned, became frustrated, miserable, and quit, he would look to his own actions as a point of supreme pride.

He was truly a man amongst men, and I hold him in the highest regard as an inspiration to my own life.
>>
>>16796500
>She has borderline personality disorder and PTSD
>Modern labels for made up things. Back in the day you just got on with it.
Modern names, but these conditions have both been recognized by the medical community for over a hundred years. Several hundred years, in the case of what we now call BPD.

There is a distressing modern tendency to classify simple failures of resiliency into the umbrella of mental illness, it's true. But the conditions themselves are real; the problem is overdiagnosis, not making shit up.
>>
>>16798596
>That's bullshit tho. You're saying an organism's function is basically to suffer.
Not at all. You are the one who equates reproduction with suffering. Biology doesn't make such judgments.
>>
>>16796474
>Should our generation be tougher?

Yes. I personally consider 90% of all mental anguish to be self-created.

Imagine this. Suppose you were a guy who was a nudist. If you have your pants ripped off in public, how much would you hurt vs not a nudist?

Suppose you were a girl from an african tribe. Someone rips her shirt off, and she doesn't care that people saw them, she probably swings her naked tits around like bolos and clubs the rude motherfucker over the head with em for destroying her property.

You ever see what happens to guys that complain about nogf? >its your fault, you're bad, change.

You ever see guys complain about no money? >Get a job you lazy cunt. There's plenty of opportunity out there.

I was tutoring a 15 year old guy, and he didn't join the basketball team because the coach stressed him out.

We live in a culture of self-indulgence of fear and depression. The more you think in a certain way, the more you reinforce it. Basic psych.
>>
>>16798875

In the 50s the cost of living as proportional to actual income was dramatically lower than it is now. Housing was extremely cheap. Those lazy fucking boomers and the morons trying to ape them seem to have attributed their self worth with the God damn real estate market of an empty continent 60 years ago
>>
>>16799048
But I do. Especially if it is forced on me when I don't want it.
>>
>>16796547
Except mental illnesses have been long studied, even back in ancient Greek time. Your grandparents most likely knew someone affected by a mental illness or have even gotten one at a point in their lives. Depression is actually a bit of an exception since it goes against every idea of how human should function, especially back in your grandparents' days (I'm guessing near the end of WWII at the earliest). Because the concept of mental illness at the time was basically limited to the "obvious" cases (think PTSD), people who suffered from some mental illness that don't manifest in the same way are often labelled "crazy" at worst, but most don't make their shortcomings known to others and cope with them the best they can. You may think that this is some clear cut solution to a lot of "mental disorders of today," but in reality they're left permanently broken. The life they live is definitely much more difficult to deal with, and even though they may try to make themselves come across as capable, their issues channel into much more serious consequences, usually abuse to loved ones. There's also the fact that the mental health institute wasn't as large as it is today, with most patients back then sent to a psychiatric ward when a good portion of them simply need therapy and/or meds. You don't hear about them because their families do their hardest to hide them, to erase that part of their tree to show that they're just like everyone else. The world is constantly evolving, and now we have the option to actually treat these illnesses through a number of ways. It's easy to just look at someone else with a mental illness and think, "Wow, why should he be considered special if he's just like me? Everyone goes through this and that at some point in their lives." The reality is, you don't understand what they're going through unless you've truly been through it. (1/?)
>>
>>16799348
It's a shame that it's that way, but it's also pretty unbelievable how many people are unwilling to sympathize and instead antagonize. I had a friend who had ADHD and a motor disorder, and I cannot tell you how many times people, including me at first, keep shitting on him behind his back for being able to take tests with twice the time, as well as other "benefits" he would receive. The truth is, even if he secretly was a typically functioning person, he would never want to be given these things since they undermined his achievements to his peers. Sure, it may sound nice at first, but to have to depend on disability benefits in the first place is not a good situation to be in. Anyways, similar to what the anon higher up this thread said, you can choose to live with a disability of some sort, whether it be severe anxiety or a broken leg, or you can seek for help and get the right treatment for them in order to live a better and more fulfilling life. Like mental illnesses, plenty of physical illnesses and injuries were often lest mostly untreated since we didn't have the research to understand them. People were often left to deal with them, which is definitely not an option in today's time (although we're still miles from curing the big ones out there).

On the topic of false rape accusations, you're basically comparing apples and oranges. Child abuse is very different than what you're suggesting. There really is no spectrum since it's easy to see that abuse comes in a number of distinct varieties (with some similarities, but none too remarkable especially in this context). I can't say much because I know little of false rape cases, but just understand that the two don't relate.
>>
>>16796848
How does homosexuality play into this? Sure, you can consider it a genetic anomaly, but it seems to great of a phenomenon to be considered a defect.
>>
>>16799264
>But I do. Especially if it is forced on me when I don't want it.

All children are born of slavery, as you are brought into this world due to the selfishness of others, and have no say in the matter.
>>
>>16799439
>How does homosexuality play into this? Sure, you can consider it a genetic anomaly, but it seems to great of a phenomenon to be considered a defect.

A barren existence that produces no children and you just enjoy sex acts with other people all the time? Such a defect!
Feminists secretly hate gays too, because gays live the kind of lifestyle straight guys wish they could have with women, and that lifestyle is "OMG WIMMINZ R OPPRESSED!"

At least until its a 10/10 stud that wants to have that lifestyle. Then its all fine.
>>
>>16799439
>How does homosexuality play into this?

Personally I think homosexuality is a mental illness. It's like special snowflake syndrome. Combine that with feelings of inadequacy / nervousness about girls (which of course many of us feel), and you get people who would rather turn gay than face the emotional demons and hang-ups they have about sex.

Just my opinion though.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.