[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have atypical autism (also known as PDD-NOS). It's basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1454300677438.png (2 MB, 1065x902) Image search: [Google]
1454300677438.png
2 MB, 1065x902
I have atypical autism (also known as PDD-NOS). It's basically more severe than Asperger's, but less severe than classic autism.
While going through the registration process for a special autism center, I was asked "If we had a magic wand that could make one single issue you have go away, what would that be?".
I responded, saying that it would definitely be the issue I have with social skills and interacting with others. Then, I said that the question was pointless, since they "don't have a 'magic wand' which would make these issues go away".
Then, the counselor replied saying "We asked for it, but it wasn't financed.".

What does this mean? Does it mean that not only does this center ask pointless question, but also has severe problems with funding?
>>
You should give up trying to seek help and do your self a favor by becoming an apprentice carpenter. Soothes the body and mind working with wood and keeps you active
>>
>>16795364
You're gay lol.

You have a lot of glaring faults and your councillor is figuring out what you want to fix first.
The reply was a joke was to cheer you up because your reply was negative.

You have a long way to go champ, good luck.
>>
This seems like it might be a joke post, but I'll respond seriously just on the off chance you're for real.

They were just asking what you'd like to fix about yourself in a fun, disarming way by using a magic wand analogy. Then they made a joke about not having funding for a magic wand, pretending they exist, but are too expensive.

So they were just telling a joke while trying to get to know you more.
>>
>>16795364
>"We asked for it, but it wasn't financed.".
I believe this was a joke. He was trying to lighten the mood.
It's supposed to be funny because it's impossible. Instead of saying that there is no magic wand because it doesn't exist, he's pretending he doesnt have amagic wand because they couldn't afford it.

The reason he asked you the question in the first place is to figure out your priorities. He wants to know what to focus on in your treatment.
Now he'll teach you skills on how to function socially.

If you had said that you wish you could be more spontaneous and be able to handle differences in your routine, he'd probably teach you anxiety self soothing techniques.

If you said you wish that you could focus on finishing homework/tasks on work even when it doesn't interest you, he'd focus on productivity techniques.
>>
>>16795473
I realize that we weren't talking about a real "magic wand", and that it was an analogy. But was the fact that he said that it wasn't financed a reflection of a lack of funding the center receives for social skill improvement therapies?
>>
File: 1450988379469.jpg (2 KB, 125x55) Image search: [Google]
1450988379469.jpg
2 KB, 125x55
>>16795364
>>
>>16795559
It was just a joke... as in, "the reason we don't have a magic wand is because we can't afford one". A joke. It doesn't reflect anything. It. Was. A. Joke.
>>
>>16795831
Do people do this often?
>>
>>16795559
>But was the fact that he said that it wasn't financed a reflection of a lack of funding the center receives for social skill improvement therapies?

Because normally it is understood by everyone that magic wands don't exist, his comment was a surprise in that it made an assumption that they do in fact exist, but still aren't available for other reasons. The essence of humor is surprise, therefore you can surmise that it was a joke.

It is possible that this specific format of joke arose because this guy has been dealing with budgetary issues. It is also possible simply that in this man's mind, if magic wands were real, they would be exorbitantly expensive and therefore out of the reach of even a healthy budget.
>>
>>16795861
Yes, but you can avoid it by appearing positive.

You dwelt on the idea of a magic wand and expressed frustration. This appears negative and prompts jokes or reassurance.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.