[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've never done anything with facebook and haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: facebook-large.png (116 KB, 1692x1692) Image search: [Google]
facebook-large.png
116 KB, 1692x1692
So I've never done anything with facebook and haven't touched any social media since myspace over a decade ago. I've never really felt like I was missing out since I was a loser and a loner for years but recently I've started making more friends, being more social, improving my life, etc. But I'm still that guy who doesn't have facebook.

Actually, I technically do but I only logged on once years ago just because a family member had me make it to join a crew in their game or something. Either way it's as blank as can be.

So I guess I'm wondering now, as I've had a few friends say I really should get one to keep in touch with everyone, if it's worth it or not. And beyond that, how do you manage friends vs family with something like facebook? I'm really oblivious to how it works but it seems to me there's stuff you want to keep to your group of friends and stuff that you want to keep to your family. Is that a thing? Or am I worried about nothing and does nobody care about or expect any privacy when it comes to facebook?

Am I really missing out on that much socially by being pretty much the only person I know who doesn't have one?
>>
>>16788527

upload a pic and a cover, make your account private so no one can see how many friends you have, and you pretty much have a normie fb account
>>
>>16788527
I don't think you're missing much. Facebook can be a lot of trouble. I used to check it often and waste a lot of time. The people on my feed that use it seem to be self-obsessed with crafting their image. I've never been good at participating in non-anonymized online communities but I keep a really low key profile on Facebook for events and for university-related groups. For the people that I actually want to be in contact with, I communicate with them by other means. If I were you, I'd keep a basic profile but try not to get wrapped up in it.
>>
I don't have a facebook account. I deleted it years ago.

Facebook is useful as a glorified address book, and as way to find out about events that are being held. But that's it.

You see status updates from people such as photos, news etc. but they're carefully selected, heavily curated, and completely unrepresentative of what's actually going on in people's lives and thoughts. They give very one sided, 2 dimensional representations of people, which is why I stopped using it. Social media is a public platform for self promotion, that doesn't lend itself to intimacy.
>>
Yeh Facebook is an art form, no one goes on it who isn't a Facebook pro. Now the kids use twitter or Instagram afaik. That said I'm sure it's useful to have one, and it doesn't matter how it portrays you as long as you can be reached through it.
>>
>>16788527
Don't do it. Facebook is just another way to facilitate targeted advertising. It's a waste of time and energy and will not bring you any closer to your friends or family.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.