[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the next up and coming career field? I'm 24
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: a_frame_house1.jpg (61 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
a_frame_house1.jpg
61 KB, 600x400
What's the next up and coming career field?

I'm 24 and have done nothing with my life. I need to pick a profitable career path with lots of available jobs in the coming years so I can start securing a future for myself.
>>
The US has a shortage of welders and nurses, so you could try either field.
>>
dentist if your capable, refuge collector if you're not.
>>
Something that pays well and will be around forever. Something with a ton of growth potential and will not be automated. Something people will never stop needing. Carpentry and woodworking. Find your local carpenter and see if you can land an apprenticeship, OP. It's never too late to start.
>>
>>16788254
The photo you use suggests that - perhaps subliminally - you have a fondness for the beauty of finely crafted wooden structures and furniture. Why fight fate? Carpentry is clearly the lucrative and rewarding career for you.
>>
>>16788266
>refuge collector

Certainly a growth field, but it's actully spelt "refugee"
>>
>>16788277
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE
>>
>>16788254
physical therapist assistant

huge amount of growth, only 2 yrs college + state license required, $18-$20/hr starting. not a lot of upward growth but you can be making $60k+ a year after 5 years of good work and have a nice 9-5 job that's not really stressful. also if you're a male and in the USA you're basically guaranteed a job. this field is almost 90% female so hospitals and PT clinics usually jump at the chance to hire a male. even if not this field is always hiring and you can literally walk into a job anywhere pretty much.

the school is pretty hard tho, you have to be good at anatomy but that can be learnt with flash cards and lots of concentration. also you gotta have a decent GPA and ACT/SAT to get accepted, so if i were you id go back to community college for a semester or two and take some gened to work your way up. definitely get anatomy & physiology 101 under your belt, youre more likely to get accepted that way.

srry for spelling mistakes, cba cause im posting from phone. anyway i'm in my second year of PTA program if you have any questions.
>>
>>16788263
>welders
Not sure if that's my forté. Sounds like it could be fun and rewarding, but I don't live anywhere near any oil fields and I assume with gas prices going down, jobs are going to shit in that field.

>nurses
Sounds like it could be fun.

>>16788266
>dentist
I would consider it if I weren't so old already. The school is 4 years undergrad + 4 years postgrad right? I'd be in my mid-30s by the time I finished.

>>16788273
Carpentry sounds amazing. Is there some sort of website I can search for apprenticeships with? My grandpa was a bench carpenter and I loved watching him work.

>>16788274
I do. I've always loved the idea of woodworking and carpentry. I just have no idea where to start.

>>16788277
>>16788290
Kek

>>16788308
This sounds like a really solid career option. I love exercising and lifting weights, so I think I'd be a good candidate for it. Anatomy really interests me and the idea of helping people with things like rehabilitation sounds great. I'll have to hit up my local community college to get signed up for the fall semester. My first ACT score from around 9 years ago wasn't too great, but I could probably retake it and score higher after intense studying for a month or two.
>>
>>16788328
>nurse
>sounds like fun
Just you wait until the college A&P and microbiology you'd have to take.
>>
>>16788424
PTA student here, A&P isnt hard as long as you flash card it up.

i'm a dummy and i got an A in the class and came in top 3 out of 30 students thanks to some helpful advice from friendly anons on /adv/. anything is possible.

yeh i dont think nursing would be fun tho. too much dirty work. i'm doing 40 hrs of clinicals a week as a PTA right now and the job is a synch. literally nothing to it. not as much money as nursing but 100% less stress. the nurses at the hospital where i work seem to hate their lives.
>>
>>16788254
Wind turbine technician. As long as your good with heights.
>>
>>16788328
Welding and carpentry take lots of skill if you want to have steady work/keep a job. Any retard can do either but to do it well is another thing. Welding isn't limited to the oil patch... Most all construction utilizes welding. Fencing, manufacturing, repair, etc.

Not saying you can't do it, but it requires hundreds of hours of practice. Everyone always says welding but it's not the best go to skilled profession because it does require skill and lots of time to get started, not to mention depending on the application it can be hazardous to your health and sometimes it just sucks if you're working in a confined space like a welders tent in a hot environment.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.