[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are cynical and nihilistic thoughts always associated with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (949 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
949 KB, 640x960
why are cynical and nihilistic thoughts always associated with teenagers? i understand the whole "teenage angst" thing, but why are these not legitimate gripes to have with the world? why are they looked at as juvenile?
>>
Because you get over them and get on with life. Thinking everything is perfect and meaningful is childish. Being disappointed that it isn't is just the next step.
>>
Because teenagers haven't developed enough to fully grasp their surroundings. They have a different mentality that makes it hard to see the big picture and so they tend to focus on the bad rather than see the bad and good.

We grow out of that though and learn to appreciate the world more fully. So it's rare and usually indicative of something more serious when fully developed adult sees the world as a teenager does.
>>
>>16784635
I feel nihilistic about life and see this life as a great irony and im in my 30's
I've tried to see a more optimistic view on life, but I cant shake truths for lies.
There is no real happiness here...it's how it is
>>
>>16784641
>big picture
>bad and good
>serious
What does any of this bullshit even mean, in my head you're the teenager only fooling yourself into thinking anything matters. There is no point in anything we do do you even know your siblings names from 6-7 generations ago? Do you remember anything they did? They lived a pointless life died were forgotten but managed to pass down their genes. What about the hundreds of animals that went extinct were they important? What about the infinite planets and solar systems we will never reach?
what is good and what is bad? There is no such thing only things that appeal to you and things that don't.
>>
>>16784635

Because it's dramatic and stupid. The world is more complex than your dumbfuck nihilism; there is great tragedy, and great joy...and a million points in between.

You learn to appreciate smaller things as you get older, you learn the rhythm of life if that makes any sense. Which I'm sure it doesn't because you're an idiot kid.
>>
>>16784758

They are forgotten NOW, but at the time they experienced life, the good and the bad.

Just like you can do now, whining about things you can never do rather than doing the things you can.
>>
>>16784758
If we all accepted your world view nothing would get done. Why do anything?
>>
>>16784771
Way to jump over what I just said, what is good and what is bad?
What can I do that will matter at all in the future? And no having kids does not matter, leaving behind a legacy or making history does not matter. In the end the earth and everything on it will die and nothing will have mattered.
>>
>>16784779

I'm saying to go out and enjoy life while you's gots it.

You'll be old and pissing in your adult diapers before you know it.
>>
>>16784779
Exactly why prolong what's coming to us? Do you think making someone money working 9 to 5 or rebelling against the system and being a neet matters?
>>
>>16784788
>Way to jump over what I just said, what is good and what is bad?

Well, what do you mean by good and bad.

>What can I do that will matter at all in the future? And no having kids does not matter, leaving behind a legacy or making history does not matter. In the end the earth and everything on it will die and nothing will have mattered.
Yeah, we already know that. So fucking what.

You can feel pleasure, you can feel love, you can reduce suffering on the planet.
>>
>>16784788
>>16784795
It depends on what you values, actively contributing to society in some small way may be more valuable to some than the "go out and live your life" lifestyle. Generally society has a written agreement of what's "good or bad" it's called the law.
>>16784797
Either you could just killed yourself now or live a fulfilling life, how you define fulfilling is something you need to determine. As a bunch of people have said as you get more mature, this "what's the point" mentality fades.
>>
>>16784635
hi, i'm 16 and i see the good and bad in my life, my mother and father hate eachother, my dad barelly talks to me, one of my sisters is a total bitch in that she has 2 kids at the age of 27 is fucking her life in the ass and is dumping her children on my mom and in that she bitches at everyone over anything she can think of, my brother lives in a norhtern part of the state just to be away from my mother and sister's Bullshit, my sister was molested by her stepfather, all my siblings are half-siblings because the parents hate eachother, I have an extremely high funcioning case of aspergers that still makes me unable to socialy interact well with my peers but keeps me from being super-intelligent like the folks you see on TV and canot find motivation to actually get the grades that i could get. but my family has enough money to function properly and my grandparents are really, sidenote: my grandfather on my dad's side died when I was 7 and it hit me hard. I'm pretty sure my gripes are legitimate
>>
>>16784797

If life was all shit everyone would be killing themselves. Everyone doesn't, you think everyone older than 20 is just a chickenshit?

This is why you're so fucking stupid.

You don't understand any joys there are to life: children, love, nature, sex, friendship, serenity.

All you see is that we're going to die (which we are) and say why not kill ourselves. Well, because those things I list above give our brain pleasure, and it's a nice feeling we want to repeat over and over.
>>
>>16784813
That's incredible of you to admit that life is pointless and the only thing that matters to >you< is small doses of pointless happiness
>>
>>16784809
Seriously, the best thing you can do is focus, get good grades and then get the fuck out of dodge and go to uni. I know it'll be hard but push through and instil some self discipline and you'll be set for life. Aspergers or no you'll find friends along the way for sure and uni just engage in a lot of the social events and you'll meet like minded people.
>>
>>16784843

I didn't say life was pointless; you think it's pointless, because you're stupid.
>>
File: 1436631689040.png (199 KB, 500x586) Image search: [Google]
1436631689040.png
199 KB, 500x586
>>16784813
>children, love, nature, sex, friendship, serenity

Now when you scratch children, love, sex, serenity, and soon to be friendship off that list when my friends all start working full time what exactly do you have? Do you see why people get depressed and see the world in a negative light and start to think it's pointless?

My dad found his dream girl at 18 and married her shortly after, so did my uncle, and my other uncle. They all went on to have kids too. The love they got at that age propelled them to be the amazing people they are today.

I didn't hit that lottery that everyone else seems to hit, I was never popular with the girls and I didn't get my dream girl, I didn't get my prom night dance with anyone. I don't have my own kids too look after and love together with my wife. I don't get to experience sex with her.

So these "joys" in life clearly aren't for every, and when someone doesn't have them then what the fuck do they have to push them forward? What exactly is the fucking point?

Super fun fact, I wasn't always this bitter, and around other live people I'm still not this bitter.
>>
>>16784863

Sorry, I would say anyone that marries at 18 is an idiot. Everyone (myself included) has horrible judgement at 18; we're supposed to pick a mate then? Look at our music/fashion choices at 18; this is the paragon of wisdom to pick a mate for the rest of your life?

Don't give up hope; love is there for you. It's there for all of us...to give and receive. But you have to be open to it. You have to try.

People can have nature and serenity w/o kids and sex (and even friends); that's what mystics have done for millenia.

I don't know you, but there is some amount of happiness in the world for you IF YOU ARE OPEN TO IT. Women seem wicked, when you're unwanted. But they really aren't. They want love just like you do.
>>
>>16784863
His point was he found aspect of his life that bring him pleasure and joy. I'm sure he (or she for that matter) just tripped and fell into a perfect life. Shit takes work anon. You've mentioned you had a hard time in school. I don't want to marginalise your tough times, but you aren't the only one. My high school life was tough as well (shit even several years after). I won't go into so i don't seem like i'm dick measuring with tough times. However, we move on. We find things in life that bring happiness, we didn't always know what they were but we find them eventually. Being pissed off that you had a bad past is fine anon. But you need to move forward or you risk letting it consume you. My honest advice? Go talk to someone, a psychologist as psychiatrist are a bit much and love to throw pills at things.
>>
File: 1453776185505.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1453776185505.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>>/r9k/

the infestation of edgy teens grows larger
>>
>>16784874
>>children, love, nature, sex, friendship, serenity

BTW that's just a partial list. Our brains our wired for pleasure, be that from exercise, chocolate, a cute puppy, or the ultimate form of pleasure...love.

Not that dumbfuck crush on Justin Bieber kind of love; a real love that flows both ways, without barrier. If you're lucky enough to feel this, real love, then you will know pleasure in life.

Some people don't find it for decades, but don't give up hope that it doesn't exist.
>>
>>16784885
If you're going to through around that boogey-man buzz word atleast use it at proper times. Nihilism is not r9k exclusive, it also isn't edgy.
>>
>>16784635
Because focusing on negatives in life, whether they be real or percieved, is juvenile. Life's about improvement and people who only focus on negatives tend to never accomplish positive things.

Also it tends to make you sound like a whiny bitch.
>why does nobody read?
>people are so shallow
>I hate hookup culture
> :(
>etc.

Regardless of legitimacy, being this cynical just sounds like aimless whining.
>>
I did find that a lot of people dismissed my severe depression as being due to teenaged angst, and thought I was self-harming because I was emo.

It is really ridiculous that society stereotypes people with actual problems as 'just being emo'.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.