[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think it takes for someone to accomplish something?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: TNO.jpg (39 KB, 507x600) Image search: [Google]
TNO.jpg
39 KB, 507x600
What do you think it takes for someone to accomplish something? What's the difference between successful people and people who are basically living out their miserable lives waiting to die?
>>
Abstractly speaking, I follow the train of thought that delayed gratification is the big difference. The patience to wait for rewards is a pretty important aspect to what lot of people consider success. It's really at the heart of what discipline means. At a practical level I think it's also easier to get ahead when one isn't "living out a miserable life" by using every cent that enters their pocket to chase a moment's happiness. That joy is fleeting and on average they're still in the negative.
>>
>>16775777

f a m, you accomplished those lucky trips tho
a
m

On a real note, its mostly perspective.

My success will be different to your success and different to another persons.
Why do you ask, if you don't mind?
>>
>>16775777
Motivation
>>
>>16775777
Creating a practical plan and taking action towards accomplishing the goal, which is at the end of it.

What do you have in mind, Anon?
>>
>>16775825

A couple of mil so I don't have to be a bitch, for one.

>>16775798

You think a person with absolute willpower is guaranteed to be successful?

>>16775792

1. I am curious about the topic overall.
2. I feel like this should be the ultimate question for everyone who isn't successful already, because plebs can't strive for anything real anyway (scientific, artistic, etc accomplishment).

>>16775789

You bring up a good point.
>>
>>16775884
Take a piece of paper and do the following:

TITLE (whatever you want to accomplish in a proactive sentence)

1. Step that gets you closer to the title.
2. Step that gets you closer to the title.
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

Do your research, find all the details that you need to get every single point in your plan and put it along your tasks.

From that point on, every single minute you waste not following what you put down is on you. That's how you forge discipline, motivation and guts. Studying for an exam that's taking place a whole year from now is a good example of how this works. You can apply this method on everything in your life.
>>
>>16775777

Obsessive focus, willingness to put in hours upon hours of hard work with no guarantee of payoff
>>
>>16775924
>no guarantee of payoff

Complete bullshit. Even if you don't get what you want, the sole experience of chasing after it at all cost will make you grow as a person. That is a very decent payoff if you ask me.
>>
bitches get shit done
>>
>>16775930

Oh come off it, you know what I meant.
>>
>>16775919

OP here - people would argue that any real accomplishment doesn't have clear steps. For example, no one can tell you how to make a million in three months. Of course there are steps that may work, but that's my problem with these self-help book plans. Not to hate on you, it's valid, but this is just a side note.
>>
>>16775946
Surely, what you've put down will almost never be the same as what you actually need to go through to get whatever is that you want. In that sense, you and whoever else defends the point you made, obviously, are absolutely correct.

However, the idea behind making up a plan isn't figuring out exactly what you have to do in order to get something done. The idea is for you to give yourself something to strive for, something to go for, or something to chase after that gets you CLOSER to what you want.

When it comes to your example, there's the issue of some things not being actually doable all the time, and that's something you need to deal with in life. Even if I tried really hard, I could never be born black, because I was born white. It's a shitty example, but you get the point.

Generally, when you move forward, you will end up getting to a point where you've either gotten what you want, or you've achieved something you are proud of anyway.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.