[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an alcoholic going on a two month stint of sobriety.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1452037255701.jpg (25 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
1452037255701.jpg
25 KB, 640x475
I'm an alcoholic going on a two month stint of sobriety. I do a couple months off once every few years, generally to get back into shape, and generally with the strategy of coming out with a better relationship with alcohol (that clearly hasn't worked, but that's not the point).

People keep telling me how excited I must be, that I'm really going to love life, and that I'm going to "feel SO MUCH BETTER" when I cut it out. But honestly, I've done this, and I don't feel any better. I feel the exact same. I'm accepting that the world is going to become a boring, awkward place for two months, and I'm not happy about it, but I'm resolute. This makes people frustrated with me. I'm just being honest with them.

My main question here is, how do I get people to stop preaching at me about booze? They're the same people that go drinking 2-4 times a week, but the difference between us is that they feel like garbage in the morning.
>>
>>16775605
Buy them a shot. Repeat as needed. When they're right fucked up take them home and shit in their bed. That'll get them to shut up about drinking.
>>
>>16775605
I had a drinking problem. For years. IDK what your situation is like, health wise, but you'll keep drinking more and more untill you hit the same shit situation I did. I used to take a few months off, wasn't a complete drunkard back then but it progressed over time.

Sober since September last year because I lost a job several times and almost died from drinking in the end. I'll have some permanent consequences and non-permanent ones still haven't completely gone away. I felt like shit, drank as to not feel anything, still feel like shit even though I kicked alcohol (it is a depressant) because the underlying problems are still there.

You'll never stop people preaching against booze to you. At least not the ones that really care about you. Don't drive such people away. They're good to have around. People who drink casually and occasionally drink a bit too much or get completely blasted will never understand what it's like to be a proper alcoholic (having a drink first thing in the morning to stop your hands shaking, your mind racing until you're severely blasted to numb it and not being able to fall asleep if you're not so drunk you fall asleep from the amount you drank, drinking so much you throw up everything, including your soul, and then continue drinking).

Those people you find annoying are the kind of people who saved my life. Maybe you should reconsider your stance on them?

Anyways, good luck.
>>
>>16775666
So you never drink now?
I'm not OP. I've been afraid to stop cause I havnt stopped for years and I hear about seizures etc.

I think im about ready to quit completely, ive slimmed down to drinking beers instead of cheap liquor and less time being drunk.
I dont want to die, waste money or time so those are my own reasons.
>>
>>16775722

I was in the ICU, almost died, got a bit better, almost died again, got a bit better and then almost died a third time over a course of a month. The doctors told me I got through the eye of a needle and that I almost died three times only when I was getting discharged. They also told me, in no uncertain terms, that I had all the drinks I'll ever have in my life and that I'm in a high risk group for several extremely painful and non-curable ways of dying if I so much as look at another drink ever again in my life. Also, one of the older nurses there told me to ponder the idea celebrating the day I pulled through for the third time as my new birthday. I was 35 kg lighter when they finally discharged me than I was when I was admitted in the hospital.

>So you never drink now?
Correct.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.