[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nostalgia makes me depressed? How to process it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 242x208
I'm 19, Kansas, about to head off to college in less than 4 months, and everything in my home life is changing
>Three friendos and I are going to rent a place for college. Great fun
>Absolute best friend that I've known for 8 years is moving away to NM around the time I leave for college because his gf's family is moving there, and this past year most of his ties with his family have been cut off due to step dad
>Usually once or twice a month I reminisce about how great my childhood was. Ed Edd n Eddy style childhood. Pokemon, vidya, old friends, events. Even my early teens, playing vidya like Halo 3, Bad Company 2, and when I was a little boy playing my Sega Genesis without a care in the world
>Now being 19, working a decent job with a good family and never had to worry about poverty. Parents helping me out with college, and getting to live with some of my good friends, I can't help but feel distraught, upset, and depressed over things.

I'm on the verge of tears writing this and it's strange because I'm known by my friend group as unphaseable and emotionless. I'm typically the emotional rock of the group. I talked about it with best friend and I think it's because I'll be in school again, so I can't just up and do anything like I'm used to. I can't just leave town for a day with a friend so easily because now plans complicate. I think I'm also scared of being tied down to a responsibility for the next four years. And with work, not being able to have time to spend with the friends I'll be living with, and continue having the good times I'm so used to. It's scaring the living shit out of me and I've never had emotional uproar like this before. Things like this have never bothered me before. What the fuck is wrong with me, why does nostalgia associate with sadness for me, and how do I healthily process this?
>>
In a few years your gonna look back on college the same way so make the best of it
>>
>>16773005
Look back fondly on those times, OP. However, it's time to make new memories. You can't dwell on the past. You're much too young for that. Go, and enjoy your youth. Please please please don't waste it being sad.
>>
>>16773005
I tend to think back and for a while, I wallow in nostalgia for about a week or so, but then get back up.

It's good to have those memories because they've been integral to the person you're now, but don't let it get in the way of making new memories and being in the present. You're on your way to being able to find a stable place where you can make new experiences and be able to afford even some that others won't ever have the chance to.

Live for today, OP. Live for today.
>>
Those times feel so awesome because they were times where you were living in the moment.

Apply that to your current life. Soak in the beauty around you, enjoy the gifts life hands you, make the most of every second of the day.

Even but a second of living in the moment is worthy of a poem.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.