[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I quit my corporate accounting job about two weeks ago because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: empty cubicle.jpg (85 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
empty cubicle.jpg
85 KB, 500x375
I quit my corporate accounting job about two weeks ago because I was going to get blamed (and likely fired) for not getting all the year-end accruals, despite them giving me nearly no time to get it done. The external auditors were coming in and I got scared, so I just didn't show up and didn't return any of their phone calls on the day the auditors came in.

Probably a bad decision, but how should I proceed from here. It was about a years worth of experience (my only experience in a 'real job'), so if I keep it off my resume, not only do I have an employment gap for the last year, but I also just got rid of my only real job experience. But if I leave them on there, I'm scared that HR will bad mouth me when a perspective employer calls.

Is the "HR isn't legally allowed to bad mouth past employees" just a meme or based in reality? Should I just lie about giving two weeks notice and hope I can just slip through with the lie?

I feel like if I admit the truth, it will automatically trash my resume.

Send help! Pic somewhat related: probably similar to what my cubicle looked like on the day I quit.
>>
Bump.

Sorry it's not "my gf won't return my text XD" tier, but I could use some advice!
>>
>hey /adv/ I just completely fucked over my employers by bailing on my job's responsibilities right before a huge deadline
>how can I put this on my resume without looking bad
is this seriously your question? What the hell kind of advice can I give that will unfuck a completely fucked situation?

My advice to you is not take another job in accounting when you're so clearly incapable of doing it.
>>
>>16770476
Jesus Christ OP you broke one of the three fundamental cardinal rules of white collar work: Don't run away from your problems. The other two:: Don't make excuses, and don't shift the blame. Shit I guess you broke all three.
>>
>>16770476
You should have confronted your staff/boss about the time strain on your work. Instead of working out a logical timeline you decided to jump ship. Don't expect them to throw you a life saver after you fucked them over like that. You didnt answer any of their calls either, what if they were willing to hear you out? At this point putting this on your resume will result in a bad rep. Your new employers will call HR to see why you left their business and the HR will have to say that you quit. If you plan on working in accounting don't bother putting this on your resume.
>>
File: 1453995435811.jpg (36 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
1453995435811.jpg
36 KB, 350x464
>>16770476
HR can tell them why you don't work there anymore, how long you worked there and if you're eligible for rehire.

In this case "job abandonment" "1 year" and "hell no"

Sorry op, there is no advice you want to hear. They can't give the specifics behind why you abandoned your job, but abandonment alone is pretty bad.
>>
>>16770563
>hey /adv/ I just completely fucked over my employers by bailing on my job's responsibilities right before a huge deadline
Yeah, okay, completely my fault I was given a unreasonable amount of responsibility in a short time frame.

>is this seriously your question?
First, get off your high horse, cutn. People have been fired/quit without notice before. I'm not the first. And yes, I want to know what they do. I'm thinking of just lying about giving notice.

>My advice to you is not take another job in accounting when you're so clearly incapable of doing it.
Top fucking kek. I've had highly successful internships in both general accounting and audit. Just because I was overtasked at my first full-time accounting role doesn't mean shit.
>>
File: 1447374488524.png (763 KB, 1126x844) Image search: [Google]
1447374488524.png
763 KB, 1126x844
>>16770476
HR legally cannot bad mouth you. They can't tell them you were a cock sucker who couldn't handle the pressure and quit on your own accord.

However they can tell employers you worked there for about a year and they would not rehire you.

I don't even understand why you quit. I'm not accountant but why not go to your boss and tell him you're having trouble meeting the deadline. I'm sure he could have thrown you some more hours, if you got paid hourly, or you should have stayed late to finish up the work if you're salaried. If anything you should have just gone to your boss before jumping the gun.
>>
>>16770598
Not even that guy but seriously if you're so good then why couldn't you finish the work on time? It does mean a lot.

Do you seriously think at your next job that your employer isn't going to do the same shit to you?
>>
Go get treated for anxiety before you land another job.
>>
File: fuqumean.jpg (37 KB, 533x820) Image search: [Google]
fuqumean.jpg
37 KB, 533x820
>>16770476

Wow, that's fucking bad! Ostrich effect lol

Now to something we don't already know. Understand that the real work world is not like getting a job at mcdonalds, I would say there is a surplus of workers, and not enough jobs. Well what this means is, you have to differentiate yourself from other people in your field, now you're basically a college grad with no experience because you fucked up. For next time it is better to face the music and get fired, than to just leave and not show up. Hr cannot "bad mouth you" but you don't think that they could say that "So and so failed to complete a vital 4th Quarter task, then went AWOL when the external auditors showed up, havn't seen him since" That's not bad mouthing, that's the truth.

I mean you can try to get by with lying, but I know both my accounting placement and my current job all asked and followed up with at least my college pt job workplace. Like I said, this isn't a mcdonalds job.

When I give advice, I usually don't hope that people have misfortune, but I hope you learn a cold, hard lesson.
>>
>>16770598
>internships
Oh wow you watched people work and you printed stuff and you passed around a birthday card?
>>
>>16770598
protip: salaried employees are expected to work late to meet deadlines
>>
>>16770581
> Instead of working out a logical timeline you decided to jump ship.
I was literally tasked with going through hundreds of invoices in like the first two days in 2016 and accrue any that belong to 2015 while doing all my other duties. This wasn't time management...this was manager throwing shit at me and expecting miracles.

>You didnt answer any of their calls either, what if they were willing to hear you out?
I do regret that part, but what can I do now?

>If you plan on working in accounting don't bother putting this on your resume.
Which sucks because this was my only full-time real experience, but I have some internship experiences that I could fall back on I suppose. Don't know what I'm going to do about this employment gap if I leave this job off my resume, though.
>>
>>16770587
>In this case "job abandonment"
Do they really say "job abandonment?" I mean I thought at most it would be something like "voluntarily resigned," which sounds much better.

Maybe I should call up HR pretending to be a potential employer and hear what they say myself?
>>
>>16770625
Dude if you've only missed a day make up some bullshit about how your grandmother died and you were so torn up about the event.

This is literally your only option outside of an alien ship took you into outer space. You are so fucked and really fucking stupid that I can't believe it.
>>
>>16770625
>this was manager throwing shit at me and expecting miracles.
then what you should have done was spoken to your manager about it and said the task was simply impossible and you needed a more reasonable amount of time to complete it. I honestly doubt they gave you a truly impossible task though.
>>
>>16770476
You could have salvaged the situation if you had just talked to the auditors. Since you bailed, you're totally fucked. 1 year down the drain, dumbfuck
>>
>>16770631
Yes, that is the reason for your separation from work, so it's what they'll say.

I were you, I'd crash a car somewhere and say you don't remember the last week.
>>
>>16770599
>I'm not accountant but why not go to your boss and tell him you're having trouble meeting the deadline. I'm sure he could have thrown you some more hours
Unfortunately, that was possible. After new years, we came back on January 4th. In accounting, there's a matching principle, which means all expenses have be accounted for in the period that they were for. So like if a random department manager had some Mexicans cut his store's grass in December 2015, but the invoice came in on January 4, 2016, we had to apply that towards 2015, even though we're paying for it in 2016.

But the executives wanted reports for 2015 by the end of business day on January 5, 2016. And in those reports had to be the year end accruals. So on top of my many day-to-day responsibilities, I had to go through all the invoices from end of day December 31, 2015 (literally hundreds) and find which ones belonged to 2015. An impossible task for the time permitted and there was no way for an extension.
>>
>>16770658
did you raise this concern to your boss?
>>
>>16770666
Somewhat, but not as much as I should have. When he initially tasked me with it, I said something like "seems like quite a bunch [of invoices] to go through in 2 days, but I'll try." Throughout the two days, I pretty much gave him the "I'm trying my best" type line. At the end of business day on January 5th, when the execs wanted the report, I had posted as many accruals as I could and sent it off. At that point, we weren't allowed to accrue anymore, so it was what it was. The executive team wanted the year end reports, and I did as many accruals as humanely possible given the time period provided and my other day-to-day responsibilities.

So yeah, I can take some responsibility for the fact that I accepted a task that was impossible to do.

Unfortunately, like I said, everyone else was bogged down with a ton of shit, so it was going to be me regardless.
>>
>>16770622
Cute projection, but I actually participated in the day to day work in those internships.

>>16770652
I guess I should call up HR and ask for a reference on myself (posing as a potential employer). I'm still holding out hope they'll just confirm the dates of employment and say something like "voluntarily resigned."

And I guess the verdict is to keep this position/company off my resume? Anyone know if it will come up in a background check?
>>
>>16770616
>For next time it is better to face the music and get fired
Unemployment comp aside, is getting fired really better than quitting? I mean if you're fired, you're basically admitting that you were incompetent at your job and there's really not a way around it. If you quit, you can spin it around where it doesn't look too bad since you left on your own accord.
>>
>>16770598
You just failed your first actual test in your chosen career
The pressure was on and you failed on every possible level.

There is no advice we could offer to make this go away. You can never put this job on a resume or ask for a reference, you now have an employment gap that is going to look weird to a future employer.

Don't fuck up on your second at-bat, slugger.
>>
>>16770476
Let's get this straight. You left vital paperwork undone the day the external auditors were coming.

You may well have cost the company thousands, not to mention the harm to their reputation when they get a bad audit.

And you're worried about being badmouthed? You will be lucky if they don't sue your ass off.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.