[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i recently turned 18. Should i get a job or go straight to uni?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 14xgfg4.jpg (99 KB, 469x600) Image search: [Google]
14xgfg4.jpg
99 KB, 469x600
i recently turned 18. Should i get a job or go straight to uni?
>>
File: 3.concordia-day4-aboard-tugboat.jpg (239 KB, 670x440) Image search: [Google]
3.concordia-day4-aboard-tugboat.jpg
239 KB, 670x440
Go to college if, AND ONLY IF, you know exactly what you want to do with yourself.

Otherwise, you'll be undirected and will waste time and money. You can always join the workforce, learn a little more about yourself and the world, and revisit the issue in a year, or two, or five.
>>
Get a job for a year, SAVE UP for preparations, then go to CommCollege, THEN go to uni. If possible go to grad school for a limited time. You don't need Doctorates, but something to prove you're worthy of money in this competitive job-meta.
>>
Neither.
Instead, travel. In the end, experience is far more valuable then money will be.
>>
File: Spooky Scary Skelekek.jpg (34 KB, 333x400) Image search: [Google]
Spooky Scary Skelekek.jpg
34 KB, 333x400
>>16766792
>Implying people can afford that
>>
>>16766622

It's best to go to uni when you know exactly why you're going. Going just to go is a recipe for getting in debt for a degree you don't plan to use. Work a few years, try out different jobs and passions etc. until you have a real, serious desire to pursue something in particular then get a degree if you need one to follow that passion.

>>16766792

If you're a trust fund kid then ya, go fuck around the world for a while.
>>
>>16766631
>Otherwise, you'll be undirected and will waste time and money.
That's me, what the heck can I do with a behavioral science degree?
>>
>>16766631
Seconding this. Most people have no idea what they want to be when they're 18, so they end up studying shit they'll never use or worse - force themselves into a career path they don't like and that they'll end up quitting later down the line.

Get a part time job that pays a decent amount and doesn't completely drain your will to live, use this time to work on yourself and your hobbies. Generally - just find out what you genuinely enjoy and go from there and for the love of god - don't buy into the "100k starting" meme.
>>
>>16766851
>>16767546
You guys know practically all unis have advisors specifically for this reason.

They also have career centers that put on jobs fairs and shit for networking, internships, etc.

I mean I understand it's not for everyone, but at least come out and say you failed because of laziness.
>>
>>16768487
>advisors
they are shit, how can anyone tell a kid they hardly know what to do for the rest of their lives, let alone they are employed by government whose agenda will enforce ppl to follow a typical careers path. You sound like a cunt, boiling down the wrong choices someone makes in life due to laziness.

OP what have you studied? I'm 18 too and could perhaps help.
>>
If you don't know what profession you want to get then I would advice you to work and save up some money first. Also working one year before joining university is worth it in terms of experience and how much it grows on you as a person.
>>
File: shaking mi cabesa.jpg (39 KB, 485x327) Image search: [Google]
shaking mi cabesa.jpg
39 KB, 485x327
>>16769339
>18
>giving people college advice having never been to college yourself
>>
>>16766622
Community college if you don't know what to do with your life, uni is you do, job if you're a fucking retard like what my sister did.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.