[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Don't know if this would be more appropriately posted on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: music.jpg (160 KB, 700x1380) Image search: [Google]
music.jpg
160 KB, 700x1380
Don't know if this would be more appropriately posted on /mu/, but here goes.

How do I enjoy normie music? I don't have no life, I go out to places with other people. It's just whenever I do, they always play Taylor Swift or whatever else they like. I always end up sulking in the car or standing around on my phone. Is there a way to not do this?
>pic related, I'm between a 2 and 3 on the chart
>>
Level 6. Fuck mainstream.
>>
>>16762617
I'm level four and it hurts my autism that there is no classic blues, country, funk, or jazz subgenres on there but there are a bunch of retard genres. I'd also like tho know who the fuck thinks jazz is entry level.
>>
>>16762617
Sorry, >>16762636 didn't answer the prompt.

You don't enjoy it, you endure it. You can't get basic listeners to enjoy more complex or harder to listen to music. Most people don't have an ear for it and simply enjoy melodies and lyrics. They want something with easily digested lyrics and a backing track that a non-musician can memorize. That's why pop music has such simple backing tracks. If you play music or are a more active listener you may be capible of memorizing a larger group of syncopated instruments like found in acid jazz, but most people can't, so songs like that aren't memorable to them. They can't keep track of that many rhythyms and notes in their head because they aren't musically minded.

That's my theory anyway.
>>
>>16762671
That's exactly what I despise about it. It's always seemed so damn simple, like it's so little effort for such massive return. And I am learning how to play drums (partly from playing rock band, partly from actual drums. rock band with the pro cymbals is actually pretty similar to the real thing) but I didn't think it would have that much impact. I do find myself breaking down every little thing in a song, so I think I know what you mean.
>>
>>16762727
I think the music industry picks and chooses who blows up. There are very little organic stars anymore. Just people singing other people's songs with studio musicians that is shoved into the public on television and radio because they have the money to control the industry.

One thing that blows my mind is all the singers who can actually sing who the producers autotune and ruin.

Or overly processed vocals. Like I want to like Hozier, but I can't get over how processed the vocals sound.
>>
>>16762900
Another allusion I always make is that modern pop is almost exactly what Orwell predicted in 1984.
>>
About 5 cause of noise. It's the comfiest music.
>>
>>16762617
Person-not-on-the-chart here.

People who play Taylor Swift in the background don't play the music to listen to it. They play it because they don't want to hear silence when the conversation goes dead.

Don't listen to the music. It's not for listening, it serves the same purpose as a lamp in a room with overhead lighting or a muted TV tuned to Fox News in a McDonald's. Those objects are there because it would be strange if they weren't there; not due to a conscious choice by the designer to include them as an integral part of the room.
>>
>>16762671
As an actual music theorist, you're kind of half-correct. People know what they like, and like what they know. Pop music is built on reinforcing musical traditions, which is why it's so formulaic. Taste has more to do with exposure than it does musicality, though being musical does make you a more sensitive listener. The more you listen a certain style, the more you pick up the rules and practices of it, whether consciously or unconsciously. People like pop because that's what they've been exposed to they're whole life
>>
most of level 1-4 is 'normie music' now

the only ones a lot don't listen to are jazz/country/IDM/any noise/ambient. though i'd classify most idm under experimental (moreso experimental than most, so that they don't really fit in typical electronic label)
countrys mostly listened to people who are from rural parts and grew up listening to it, or by old people.. not a lot listen to jazz even though it's so common, same by mostly older people.

>>16762671
well the main part of 'pop' music to me is something that you can tap feet to (though jazz is one of those and not as popular among most listeners) and is catchy. catchiness is the most important part about pop.
usually pop will follow simple progressions/structures as well and generally are fairly simple overall usually

listening to something like club music, like dj khaled/whatever that follow that same EDM sounds and sound exactly a like, all major with a buildup and then compressed synth won't be too enjoyable if you like music that doesn't sound the same
but if you listen to even 'non top 40' music, you'll find a lot of them are a lot the same (harder to explain how so, to me they are atleast)

i dunno, pop music to me is something to bob your head to, just 'background' type music. while jazz or experimental etc. are music that you actually listen to. especially genres that focus on the structure/texture over a long peroid, listening to the song intermediatly isn't going to be as good as start to finish (and that might be why a lot don't enjoy it, because they don't focus on it too much or get 'bored' because it's too long to buildup etc.)

i think taylor swift has some decent songs. shake it off is catchy except for parts of it that i don't like (where she 'talks') and style is an alright song
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.