[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change what do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 450x957) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 450x957
Be me
>Canadian 25 year old male
>former house of commons staffer
>BTFO last election
>working in the current provincial Manitoba elections
>gf hates the distance can't stay here after I win

What the fuck kind of work can I do?

I don't want to start at the bottom, but being a Conservative staffer isn't in high demand anymore.
>>
How do i into politics? any "universal" advices?
Should i just present myself on my local and ask them if they need any help?

Nowadays i can't because part time and school, but if i get fired or i drop it ( let's say in one year probs if i don't get a promotion ), should i just give it a shoot?

not canadian/anglo
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 1127x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 1127x562
>>16754976
It depends what your goals are. If you want to be a future candidate you should get elected to your student body/young conservatives and network. If you want to be a staffer/campaign manager then you should get experience in fundraising and working local campaigns, it helps if you have a communications background. Always undersell and over deliver by at least 30% when you're getting started and never be afraid to put yourself out there.
>>
my brother works in politics, he used to work on campaigns, then he became the chief of staff for a state senator, got tired of that and now he works for a sort of quasi marketing firm that's staffed all by politicos so groups who want their product marketed like a political campaign hire his firm, its mostly advocacy groups and public sector unions I think.

Maybe you could look into something like that.
>>
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 600x585) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 600x585
>>16755042
Most of the advocacy groups that want conservative backgrounds up here are pro life groups and that's bad for the brand. Maybe, but it's unbelievable how devastated the party is in Ontario. They'll never admit it but we lost more than a few good men Oct19
>>
well what's your degree in?
>>
>>16755002
What if this party got into the presidency, but the whole young aspect of the party is completly dead or its full of rich boiz and 30+women/state employees.
This party get CEOs elected or hired sometimes and i study law, and i know it's my next step in networking even if i don't get into a political position ever.

Im don't think i will get elected ever for my student body/young conservatives because 1: they party never won and it will never win at least in the next 10 years. and the young it's a fucking joke.

I could aim to join this party "youth" and eventually make one on my district. But conservatism is not strong enough in the young besides "we hate the poor" meme
>>
>>16755068
Bachelor of Arts major is law. Never finished it though
>>
>>16755089
What country are you in?
>>
>>16755091
then now might be a good time to go back and finish it, did you ever have any desire to practice law?
>>
File: 1434228660674.jpg (180 KB, 808x633) Image search: [Google]
1434228660674.jpg
180 KB, 808x633
>>16755096
Argentina
>>
>>16755102
He could Administrative/Constitutional
>>
>>16755128
canada doesn't have a constitution, they have a monarchy with unlimited powers instead
>>
>>16755133
i always wanted to know this.

Aren't they a constitutional monarchy by default? do they have some group of norms above all the other norms?
>>
>>16755148
actually its technically an absolute monarchy with a parliament that rules at the pleasure of the king who on paper has unlimited authority, he's just never actually used that authority to nullify any laws passed by the elected government.

Its been this way since the canada act of 1982 when we replaced Elizabeth II as head of state with our own king.
>>
>>16754961
OP, your life sounds interesting. What do you actually do on a daily basis?
>>
>>16755165
So you are telling me you can pass any kind of law your 51% and/or 2/3 wants ?
>>
>>16755177
I like what he wrote and how he wrote it

it felt real
>>
>>16755165
None of this right lol. We have a constitution. The Governor General is still a ceremonial position that acts as the Prime minister requests
>>
>>16755102
No desire to practise law. Studied it because I believe it promotes critical thinking and self sufficiency. I stopped my studies to work full time in the HoC
>>
>>16755177
Right now I work on the provincial elections in Manitoba running the target seat ridings that aren't in Winnipeg. Basically ID votes, talk to people, set team targets, get a feel for what it takes to win the riding, work on comms and implement a strategy to win. Campaigning is great fun, but it's a young mans sport. The dirtiness, the infighting, and worst of all the uncertainty post election is pretty strenuous on relationships.
>>
>be veteran me
>got out of army in 2006
> was going to go to college but was offered a contract making over 100k a year
> better contracts came after that, then offered an appointment with the DOD
> worked it for 5 years until I couldn't get any further without a degree
> resigned, now in college full time
> turns out I'm an amazing student, 4.0, President's List
> thinking about taking LSATs

Should I go to law school? Is being a lawyer worth it?
>>
>>16754961
Part of your job as a political staffer is to network and watch for the next job possibility. If you do well here, you should know enough people on other politicians' staffs to be able to ring them up and ask for a job with them. Or even better, if you're any good at what you do, they should headhunt you.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.