[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for things I can do other than go to work &
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Moe.jpg (222 KB, 767x524) Image search: [Google]
Moe.jpg
222 KB, 767x524
I'm looking for things I can do other than go to work & sit in front of my computer all day. They really need to be things I can't do at a computer, things unlike reading or listening to music, because it's always cheaper and more convenient to do it that way. Aside from obvious things like eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. I also can't stand the idea of going to a gym, since I already get enough mindless, repetitive exercise at work.

I'd also love something to get me out of the house, but it seems like the only things to do nearby are eat, drink & buy useless crap.
>>
Hike or find a trail to walk along. Get a bike and go around. If you do reading/writing or any solitary deskwork, do it at a coffeeshop instead of home. What city are you in?
>>
>>16735830
If everything the guy above me tells ya fails join a sports team

It'll make ya fit, be a new hobby and give you some new friends
>>
>>16735884
>join a sports team
As I said, I already get enough mindless, repetitive exercise at work.

>It'll make ya fit, be a new hobby and give you some new friends
a new hobby is a good idea, but I have no knowledge of sports, I don't even know what sports I could/should try.

>>16735866
>Hike or find a trail to walk along. Get a bike and go around.
As I said, I already get enough mindless, repetitive exercise at work.

>If you do reading/writing or any solitary deskwork, do it at a coffeeshop instead of home.
Why? I'd be doing the exact same crap, only with less privacy & comfort. I also hate coffee.

>What city are you in?
Garden City
>>
>>16735830
You're no more than 10 miles from at least once space where you can pursue study of the natural sciences. Biology, chemistry, earth science, and atmospheric science can all be studied alone and within a few miles of a city at your own pace and direction.
>>
>>16735830
take a yoga class.
it's fun. slightly social.
and mindlessness is kind of the point. it's a relaxation thing.

or take a cooking class or class on shooting guns.

take any sort of class about any thing you're interested in.
>>
>>16735953
That was a weirdly vague reply. I'm pretty sure that's also a thing I could do at a computer, if I cared to.
>>
>>16735967
>take a yoga class.
>it's fun. slightly social.
How is yoga social?
>>
Swim and shoot
>>
>>16735985
I mean, there are other people there. if you talk to them afterward or before, maybe if you notice some of the same people after a few classes, it'll be social.

why do you keep shooting everyone down?

like, we're all just supposed to wrack our brains to come up with the perfect thing for you.
fuck off.
>>
>>16735915
Hiking is not the same as your job. Its not work. Its fresh air and nature and itll cheer you up, its worth a try.

You wanted out of the house I suggested a coffee shop, which also sell tea and overly sugary drinks as well as water.
Theres so much out there OP, there really is.
>>
>>16735969
You could, if you didn't want to go outside.
>>
>>16736000
>why do you keep shooting everyone down?
It was just a question.

>like, we're all just supposed to wrack our brains to come up with the perfect thing for you.
I'm really just trying to understand why some people do the shit they do. One of the previous suggestions was to read/write at a coffee shop instead of home, but I can't understand why anybody would want to do this unless they really liked the coffee or had really shitty internet connection at home.
>>
>>16736018
>You could, if you didn't want to go outside.
I'm more interested in having something to do that I CAN'T do via computer/internet than I am about finding reasons to go outside.
>>
>>16736042
I said the coffee shop to be around people, to be out of the house, free of distractions. Thats why people go
>>
>>16736055
Have fun doing a soil sample on the Internet.
>>
>>16736099
>Have fun doing a soil sample on the Internet.
What would be learned from doing a soil sample?
>>
>>16736093
>to be around people
>free of distractions
This seems like a big oxymoron. Honestly, I was looking for ways to keep myself busy, I'm not looking to socialize.
>>
>>16736131
It's the basis of most chemistry and biology in the biosphere. Learning how to test and classify soils leads to a deep understanding of how an ecosystem does or does not function.
>>
I wouldn't say joining a sports team is mindless. In fact people seem to underestimate the strategy behind a football match for example. It's not all about fitness and skills. It's also strategy. You may also become a coach.

If outdoor sports is no good for you, consider e-sports. Yea, it's in front of the computer, but it is more tasking than just "sitting" in front of it. Something like a fighter game on consoles if you like playing 1v1. If you like team based stuff (keep in mind flamers might fuck your mind up as well as bad teammates, but is also more social), try LOL or DOTA2. I currently play hearthstone and poker online. They keep me mentally occupied outside of work.

Another idea: Get a dog. I got one, he's amazing. And we go on walks 2-3 times a day. If you attend to a school, or just join a local pack who walk their dogs at the same time at the same place than that is also even more social.

Hope I helped (maybe not, but its all i got).
>>
Ceramics work is pretty fulfilling
Where you do it is up to you, but that shit should stay far from a computer or a carpet
shouldn't take more than a day on the internet to look up some techniques + how not to fuck up
Maybe there is a clay shop nearby?
Doesn't have to be shitty pots, I do models of things
Completely different from CAD 3D so don't worry about that
>>
>>16735830

get familiar with the woods, boy
>>
>>16736207
Oh yes, the vast woods of suburban New York.
>>
>>16736181
>Learning how to test and classify soils leads to a deep understanding of how an ecosystem does or does not function.
Or I could just read a book on it. Now if I were to use this understanding to actually do something, that would be a start.

>>16736192
>I wouldn't say joining a sports team is mindless. In fact people seem to underestimate the strategy behind a football match for example.
You're probably right, but my mind went immediately to baseball as the first example of team sports. I could never stand to watch sports & had played in little league as a kid, but got bored of it very quickly. Team sports just don't sound appealing for whatever reason.

>If outdoor sports is no good for you, consider e-sports.
I'm pretty sick of playing videogames. I haven't really done it in the past several years.

>Another idea: Get a dog.
I can't. :(
>>
Well maybe you get some other ideas maybe you will come up with some but something has to be it OP. Trying any one of the tips might lead you closer to knowing what you really want is. Sitting in front of the computer probably wont give you any experience necessary for it. Especially if you are as negative as you seem to be. Then again you might get better ideas. Good luck OP!
>>
>>16736248
Maybe try swimming if you dont like teamsports? It's quite relaxing and good for the entire body
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.