[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I fire a woman for crying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12
File: 1453695412718.jpg (51 KB, 758x530) Image search: [Google]
1453695412718.jpg
51 KB, 758x530
So long story short I have a small payroll company that employs about two dozen people.

>Friday afternoon
>Everything is going normal
>everyone is getting ready to leave finishing up some accounts, responding to emails etc.
>out of nowhere one of our new employees starts crying
>I've never had anything like this happen in the office before
>fortunately the other women pulled her aside and comforted her before she became too much of a distraction
>find out by the end of the day from some other employees she was crying because of relationship troubles

I found this to be incredibly unprofessional and I want to fire her. I live in Tennessee which is an "employment by will state". So technically I can fire someone for any reason whatsoever, but people have gotten sued over less and lost before. Is there anything I can do to keep myself and my company safe? Thanks. Pic unrelated
>>
>>16727322
Are you joking? You can't fire someone for crying. Not only is it morally wrong, but you'd get blasted in court, and be labeled a sociopath by your community.
>>
>>16727322
If she's new, you could, I don't know, try having the slightest bit of this thing called compassion? I'm not saying to always forgive, but for this early point in her job.
>>
>hiring women
this was your first mistake
>>
Sometimes people's personal lives leak into their work. You can't fire her for crying ONE time. It would be different if she was breaking down on a daily basis, but I suggest dropping it for now and working on becoming a decent person.
>>
At least give her a second chance OP, she only cried. Maybe she's just really sensitive and was anxious
>>
>>16727371
>work on becoming a decent person
he lives in Tennessee, a bit late for that one I'm afraid
>>
>>16727349
Not joking, and what exactly is morally wrong with it? Would you say the same thing if I wanted to fire an employee for loudly and rudely farting? It was rude, annoying, uncalled for, and a distraction to other employees.
>>16727353
She's been working for me for about 6 months.
>>16727362
I'm not a misogynist, I just can't stand the retarded shit
>>
>>16727373
wellmemed
>>16727371
>16727372
Yea, I'm probably gonna write her up tomorrow in case it happens again in the future I will at least have some what of a paper trail.
>>
>>16727322
>out of nowhere one of our new employees starts crying
>new employee
>new
>>16727376
You're the one who made her sound brand new, don't blame me for that. But yeah, you seem like an unrepentant asshole. I hope she takes your ass to court and crushes you, because monetary loss is the only punishment fucks like you understand.
>>
>>16727376
You're retarded . As an entrepreneur myself , your employees are real people and shit happens . As long as they are worth to the company in the end , them crying once isn't going to kill your profits.

Not only that , but you haven't even considered the reputation you have . If you fire her for crying once , your workers are going to notice you are an asshole and will either leave or be less productive in spite .
>>
>>16727322
Nice, b8, OP. I can almost hear the autism through the HTTP and TCP bits coming into my computer from your post.
>>
>>16727394
I really couldn't care less if my workers left. They get paid $8/hr and my assistant manager gets $12/hr. They all have bachelor's degrees. The job market isn't what is used to be, you can get away with literally anything that isn't lawsuit worthy.
>>
>>16727416
I hope you and your business fails
>>
>>16727416
You really are filth. Get the fuck out of here. No one is going to give you advice on how to wreck innocent lives.
>>
File: 1386491606135.jpg (86 KB, 595x599) Image search: [Google]
1386491606135.jpg
86 KB, 595x599
>>16727322

>Can I fire a woman for crying?
>Yea, I'm probably gonna write her up tomorrow in case it happens again in the future I will at least have some what of a paper trail.

I dunno, I think that hiring people who have emotions is a bad idea. I mean, you're the owner of a company, its not your job to know how to "manage" or "talk to" people in any sort of intelligent capacity.

I mean, your NORMAL asshole would maybe try to muster up even the most insignificant amount of empathy and try to dialogue with this person about their life and try to come to some sort of mutual understanding but I mean, you're an important business man, you don't have the luxury of having an extra 10 minutes to set aside and talk to one of your employees.

Honestly, you better crush this before it gets any worse. I mean, first she cries because something horrible happened to her in a relationship, next thing she'll think its ok to ask for a day off when her mom or dad dies.

Hell, pretty soon your employees might even start LAUGHING AT JOKES. AT WORK. What a bunch of unprofessional fuckwads right?

You're on the right path here, bud. Eliminate all need for emotion in the work place because the most important part about managing a group of people is being completely and utterly ignorant to the human element of your business.

You manage people, having people skills is obviously not something you have to time to worry about.
>>
>>16727433
>>16727432
I hope I didn't trigger you too hard. I don't want to fire any of my employees, except for cry baby, I'm just stating the obvious.
>>
>>16727416
Yeah, yeah, yeah, OP. We can all see right through your bullshit. Tell us how you REALLY feel. Firing a bitch for crying? Come on. Did your mother slap you around when you were a kid or something? This shit is pathetic.
>>
>>16727440
Well, we can't change you, but like I said in >>16727433 don't expect any help here for your "problem".
>>
>>16727440
The only obvious is that you're filth and need evaluation
>>
>>16727376
>fired for farting
Reminds me of that eminem song. I'd say firing for crying is more justifiable than farts.
>>
>>16727437
I actually am quite busy, I have to travel a lot to manage all of my locations. If you're gonna be a dick just don't respond man. This is advice not banter.
>>
>>>16727437
>I actually am quite busy
Lmao
>>
>>16727456
OP, come on. Don't ignore me. Open up. Did you have a bad experience with a tranny? Did she burst out crying the second she stuck it in your pooper? What's triggering your anger whenever a female cries? I'm genuinely interested. Are you a closet homo? Just stabbing in the dark here.
>>
File: 1378277336946.png (216 KB, 504x349) Image search: [Google]
1378277336946.png
216 KB, 504x349
>>16727456

>I actually am quite busy

Exactly, I mean, who has time to talk to the employees of the businesses they own? You guys are asking this man to take time out of his day to communicate with a person that works for him. I don't know where you think he's going to muster the time for that kind of useless shit but its obvious none of you have owned a business before or you'd know that opening your mouth to form words is not a luxury a business owner has.
>>
>>16727456
Just because you're busy doesn't mean you should fire people for having emotions, doesn't it cost money to hire and retrain new employees? It's a lot more cost effective to just keep someone on unless they have a PATTERN of behavior. Are you gonna fire someone every time a family member of theirs dies and they have the audacity to express emotion?
>>
>>16727456
This has to be bait and if its not please do not reproduce you miserable excuse for human being.

But if you want advice and not banter, jumping off a building or running your car into a pole. Would at least stimulate the economy and provide work for people who would have to scrap up your remains.
>>
>>16727455
That's what I'm saying
>>16727466
You are literally ass-ravaged and projecting so hard. You are either a woman with penis envy, or a liberal, who also has penis envy
>>16727471
Bruv when you own 12 locations in 5 states you really don't have time to constantly put out fires over inconsequential shit like this. I know that as a worker drone with zero ambition you don't understand the value of time, and that's okay, no skin off my back.

If you want advice on success feel free to ask, or you can legitimately answer my question without trying to push an agenda, otherwise don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you are contributing to this thread.
>>
>>16727484
If her dad dies sure, cry your fucking eyes out, but not until you clock out and do it in the bathroom.
>>16727488
filtered
>>
>8 an hour
>the job market isn't what it used to be

Nah, you're just a manager at a fucking rentacar place or something. No meaningful company manager has employees for 8 an hour. Stop acting like you have any power or prestige.

And if it's really a state with no restriction of firing, all you need to do is keep your stupid mouth shut.
>You're fired, let go, terminated
>But why???
>Can't say. Won't say. Don't have to say.

The End. Any more you say is fuel for a lawsuit.
>>
File: australia.jpg (64 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
australia.jpg
64 KB, 640x472
Pitiful bait. I fell for it. Well done OP.
>>
I can't understand how humans are this cruel to one another.
>>
>>16727491
I don't think you know how to filter or what filter means.
>>
>>16727501
I'm not a manager I'm running the company my dad left to me. I'm am completely in charge, I have managers who work FOR ME. But do be fair it's not fancy or prestigious, it's a payroll company, but it makes me A LOT of money.
>>16727506
It's not cruelty if it's not undue. I'm not getting any enjoyment out of her suffering, I just don't want her costing me money in productivity.
>>
OP should kill himself
>>
>>16727491
OP, why are you insulting me? Is your ass still hurt from the tranny? Did I upset you? Come on, OP. Open up. Tell me why your ass leaks every time a female cries.
>>
This is how you have companies with high turnover rates, guys.

"It seems a shame," the Walrus said,
"To play them such a trick,
After we've brought them out so far,
And made them trot so quick!"
The Carpenter said nothing but
"The butter's spread too thick!"

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize."
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
>>
>>16727517
>its not cruelty

You're destroying someone's life because they cry more, the fuck is wrong with you. Money isnt that important loser
>>
>>16727456

>quite busy
>but he spends his free time on 4chan

Nice job falling for bait as usual /adv/

>inb4notbait
>>
>>16727517
Why don't you let your manager deal with MANAGING staff. What kind of company owner wastes time thinking about this?

Obviously you have some fucked up complex and masturbate to this kind of thing. If you really want to get your jollies off, start a fight. It'd be equally barbaric and childish.
>>
>>16727527
Girl, what the fuck?
>>
>>16727538
Lmfao, if employers hired every crybaby loser off the street we wouldn't have an economy you dolt.
>>16727540
It's 12:17 AM buddy, I'm busy from 8 AM - 6 PM
>>
>>16727550
Kys
>>
>>16727322
OP you could use a little empathy.

>Imagine if you were having serious problems with your significant other.
>Problems serious enough that you're still thinking about them at work and upsetting enough they leave you tearing up.
>Maybe it was an argument, maybe a physical fight, maybe they're even thinking of leaving you and never coming back.
>And while you're this stressed out, your boss calls you into their office and says they want to cut off your main source of income.
>For having a rough day in the office, an "unprofessional" moment.
>You are about to lose no only the person you care most about, but all that is financially supporting you at the moment.

>Now the situation is fickle from here. Maybe you'll be able to find a job quickly and pick up enough while your boyfriend/girlfriend packs up their things. >Or maybe they'll keep living with you and it'll get abusive. You don't know what happened or what will.
>Maybe the job won't pay enough to cover this month's rent.
>Or maybe you won't even get past the interviews. It is a fickle market out there.
>You are holding on for as long as you can in the tiny apartment you have been living in until enough is enough and you end up having to move back home with your parents.
>A place that could be out of Tennessee.
>And thats guessing they're able to take you in.
So at the end of this you could be alone, homeless, and broke, because your boss wanted to fire you for getting upset and crying at the end of the day over a situation that could be potentially very serious and dangerous.
I wish you luck from your cardboard box, Company President Douchebag.
>>
>>16727557
Strong argument. You have potential. Would you like to set up an interview and come work for me?
>>
>>16727540
I wouldn't put it past people to be so un sympathetic, especially if they undeserving got to where they are, as is the case for OP.

Alot of work for a troll, I admire the commitment. If I hadn't known a few spoiled assholes I might not have bit
>>
Alright alright OP. I'll try to give you the reasoning you deserve here. But to me it depends on the kind of company. What is your company OP?
>>
>>16727562
Kys
>>
>>16727560
Fuck you are right, I must change my ways...

SIKE

Seriously, I asked if I could get into legal trouble for firing her. I didn't ask for any preaching, why is no one understanding this?
>>
>>16727322
Talk to literally any other human being about it, preferably a coworker. See what they say. You don't have to make this serious decision that affects multiple people's lives alone.
>>
>>16727595
You are mr krabs in human form
>>
>>16727595
Actually stop, we wont help you
>>
>>16727595
Nobodies helping you scum
>>
>>16727595
We'll let you learn the lesson the hard way.
GG if your customer base is largely liberal.
>>
>>16727624
>>16727629
>>16727643
Just for that I'm fucking firing her tomorrow. Fuck you assholes. You did this. Hope you're happy.
>>
Lawyer here.

I am SALIVATING. Too bad I don't practice in OP's state.
>>
File: 1403090419946.gif (920 KB, 245x154) Image search: [Google]
1403090419946.gif
920 KB, 245x154
I want to think this is b8, but i actually know people like this.
>>
>>16727649
Such maturity, wow.
>>
>>16727322
>So technically I can fire someone for any reason whatsoever, but people have gotten sued over less and lost before.
You can also fire someone for no reason at all. Your best bet would be not to state a reason, and do whatever you can to obfuscate the fact that this is why you are doing it.

Good luck with that, though. If this is the only time she's ever done anything like this, then you're going to have to wait quite a long time before firing her, or the connection will be so obvious enough that any judge, and most juries, will see right through it. You don't sound like you have the patience to wait long enough, especially with your "I'm fucking firing her tomorrow" spiel.

Honestly, you sound like you're much more of a detriment to the work environment than she is. This act of crass workplace bullying will only cement that in the minds of the people around you. Fire her if you must, but you'll probably lose your own job over it, and getting any kind of authority over anyone again will likely require you to move. Is firing her worth that?
>>
In the future, when you hire someone, make it known that they are on a probationary period for the first six months or so. This leaves you a legal out in situations such as this.
>>
File: 1452390838050.jpg (131 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
1452390838050.jpg
131 KB, 950x534
>>16727322
>hiring a woman in the first place
>>
File: 1412974688906.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
1412974688906.png
108 KB, 400x381
Do it.

I've fired people for less.

My people respect the power of their boss to determine if they eat or not.
>>
>>16727322
If my workplace fired you for crying, they wouldn't have any employees. All of us have cried at least a few times. My job is so fucking stressful and time management is a bitch there. We are always extra busy on Saturdays and I cried on every single one for the first few weeks I worked there.

Don't be a dick. If she didn't make a scene, and it's only happened once, get over it.
>>
>>16727649
I hope your whole staff leaves you with your thumb up your ass.
>>
>>16728122
Double Desserts
Check em
>>
Haaaaaa.

Paying to train a new employee costs Anon. If the turn over rate high no one worth hiring will want the job too. Enjoy your poor management skills.
>>
>>16727322
if this is a daily or weekly thing, then firing her is understandable.

but after one time is totally ridiculous. you cant expect your workers to be completely emotionless.

Ive had bosses who have broken down in the middle of the day before. shit happens. dont be a dick. just pull her aside one day and tell her that that sort of thing isnt allowed in the workplace and that if it continues youll be forced to let her go. but also, you hope that shes okay and that things will work out.
>>
havent you ever heard of a verbal warning, scrooge?
>>
I don't like the worker because obviously she's an unprofessional cunt

But I don't like the OP more because he's just a nit-picking, pretentious twat and is too stupid to realise that firing someone for crying at work will bite him in the ass one way or another
>>
>>16727322
You are scum
>>
So this thread is where all the crybullies went after domestic terror attacks knocked them out of the news.

Op, give her a written counseling. Let her know you understand she is going through something in get personal life, but it is unprofessional to do bring it to work. Not only is she not working, but she is disrupting the work of others around her.
>>
>>16727517
Oh, I see, daddy left you everything, so now you're a spoiled manchild with no empathy.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (28 KB, 301x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
28 KB, 301x200
>>16727517
>I'm running the company my dad left to me.

FUCKING LMAO!
>>
>>/biz/
If you want to avoid court, just do it a few weeks from now, and give no reason other than covering some recent losses.
>>
>>16727322
>hiring women
>expecting work to get done
>not expecting hysterics instead of productivity
you dun goof'd
>>
>>16727322
I've seen this idiot business philosophy before. You have no concept what it takes to build a business by encouraging employees to be as invested in its success as you are. You fire this girl and all the other employees will know you don't give a fuck about them and while you might get some short term productivity gains out of fear you will run the company your daddy gave you into the ground. Cannot wait you arrogant punk.
>>
>>16727376
It's going to ruin your employee's work morale if they hear you nearly fired someone for having one emotional moment at work
>>
File: 12960512875.jpg (4 KB, 187x200) Image search: [Google]
12960512875.jpg
4 KB, 187x200
>>16727517
>I'm running the company my dad left to me
Running it to the ground, it seems. I bet you'll wreck it all with your psycho management within 3 years
>>
File: 20150107_115040.jpg (899 KB, 918x1632) Image search: [Google]
20150107_115040.jpg
899 KB, 918x1632
>>16727649
>making business decisions based on insults on 4 chan....

That business you own is going to be run in to the ground...
>>
>>16727649
How does it feel to know you're destroying the legacy your father built because you're an incompetent, psychotic fuckwad loser with zero management skills and wanted to throw a tantrum because anons in the internet were mean to you?

Fuck it, I knew it was weird someone like you would be in a management position, you're so staggeringly incompetent the only way had to be that daddy built it all and you just happened to be born and were personally placed by papa on the manager's chair. You say the company is doing quite well - but how long have you been at the helm? 8 months?

>I am completely in charge
Keep telling yourself that, loser. No company will thrive under tyrannical rule like that for long.
>>
>>16727362
>>16728090
>>16728580
just a story for all of you

>need another person in my department
>HR places ad
>choose a guy to interview, decent experience
>appointment time comes and he calls me
>he's at the wrong building (our mistake, never updated our website) and he's crying
>tell him it's not a problem, just come to the right building as I'm free all afternoon
>after he leaves that building the security guard there calls
>says the guy is a sobbing wreck
>this gonna be gud
>gets to my office, interview goes OK
>have my assistant and her assistant interview the guy
>they like him
>I tell them I don't think he's a fit but if they like him, fine
>starts on a Monday. Friday I find him at his desk crying
>says the women are too hard on him
>tell him to take the weekend and think whether this is the job for him
>never comes back
>>
>>16727322
>before she became too much of a distraction

In who's opinion? If other employees raise the issue of her emotional problems, then maybe yes. On the other hand, if the are willing to accomodate it, leave her aone.

As far as distractions go: Could I fire a bunch of assholes who spend a good part of their work day arguing about who will win the Superbowl? It's a distraction, in my opinion.
>>
>>16729133

>can I fire

Of course you can, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You need to put your foot down. Sneak up on them when they're not working but yapping, tell them if they don't knock it off you'll fire them all, their wives will leave them and move in with you, and they'll starve, then ask them if they still want to talk about the superbowl.

Employees need to be afraid of you. If they're talking about the superbowl, they're not afraid.

I recomend, if there is a group of 10 guys that do this, pick the worst guy of the bunch and fire him then and there as a warning

If you want to straighten out 10 nails, you find the most crooked one, throw it in the furnace, the 9 other crooked nails fix themselves
>>
File: v2captainamerica09.jpg (153 KB, 500x745) Image search: [Google]
v2captainamerica09.jpg
153 KB, 500x745
>>16727322

It's like you don't even consider the consequences of your actions, OP.
>>
>>16727322
You can fire her OP, if she's distracting other employees and making a scene in the workplace?
Absolutely.
>>
>>16727322
>help i want to hire robots instead of people
Kill yourself. Only advice I can possibly offer besides potentially televising it for our entertainment.
>>
>>16727376
Why are you such an asshole OP? So fucking what she cried? Get over it and move on with your life. You probably cry too sometimes. I hate people that are this inconsiderate and hot headed. Go to hell.
>>
>>16727595
>Is a manager
> Can't spell "Psych"

Why aren't you a binman
>>
Hire robots OP they have no feels
>>
Whilst OP is being rash, he has a point. It is unprofessional to burst out crying in the office due to fucking relationship problems. Wouldn't you at least take it to the bathroom? It is distracting.

If it were one of my employees (and it was a once off) I'd let them go outside and get some coffee/fresh air and to calm down as they're obviously under a lot of stress if it's not something they'd usually do. Anymore than that and I'd get rid of them too.
>>
Don't write her up for crying. It leaves a paper trail in case of a lawsuit.

Also, if you fire her, the other employees will know why and you'll lose far more productivity from people being scared about losing their job. Fear is the worst productivity killer.

Firing her will also cause people to leave. These will likely be your most talented/capable people. You will then have to spend more money to find, hire, and train new employees. You will essentially be paying money to replace your most productive people with newbies.

You obviously have not thought through the financial repercussions of your decisions.

As for your legal question, people can sue you at any time for (pretty much) anything. Your best safety net is being a decent person and taking your managerial role seriously.

You have a lot to learn.
>>
desu if you can fire a guy for glancing at a girls tits you can fire a girl for crying.
/thread
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.