[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want help dealing with some feelings I have. They are neither
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
I want help dealing with some feelings I have. They are neither right, nor wrong, but I would like help explaining them.

With the two recent celebrity deaths of Rickman, and Bowie. I've had a number of friends so affected by this, they had to call out of work, or their day was ruined. I find these feelings so strange. I mean, we don't even know this people, we only like them, because of their art, and It seems like this celebrity worship has gone too far. What are your thoughts on the issue?

p.s. I do think there death is horrible, I just don't think it should effect someone to the point where they feel like a piece of them is missing. I mean people are comparing these people to family members.
>>
Your friends are really weird and probably lying to get laid.
>>
>>16687447
yea, it really does seem strange.
>>
File: Dag.jpg (477 KB, 1280x1726) Image search: [Google]
Dag.jpg
477 KB, 1280x1726
Your friends think they have a relationship with people on TV. But they don't.
>>
>>16687458
Honestly, I find it so retarded. I don't want to say that, because I don't want to tell them how to feel, but it feels a little bit carried away.

I'm pretty sure most people think about it normally, but I surrounded by people who are behaving this way. It's starting to make me think, maybe I'm a little callous.
>>
>>16687443
I felt the same way about Michael Jackson. I just didn't GET it.

Bowie, however, really did hit home. It was the strangest feeling to be so sad over a person I've never met. Now I kind of get it. I've loved him since I was little. Carefully contrived public image or not, he made me feel like it was totally ok to be a weirdo, which is nice. It's strange when you just feel like someone is going to be around forever, and it can make you feel like some of your childhood died; or face your own mortality.

As much of a die-hard fan that I am, I did NOT call out of work over it. That seems a bit ludicrous. If your friends are normally level-headed people, maybe try to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is something that spoke to them deeply for some reason.
>>
>>16687491
I can see that. I guess I would feel that way if Vince Scully died. I guess what matters is how we feel they affected our lives.
>>
>>16687510
I've been needlessly dramatic myself- I can't even say it's for attention, because I live alone, haha. I mean, listening to all his albums and smoking cigarettes on the floor until 2am. It's so silly, but genuine.

In contrast though, I'd never compare it to the death of a loved one... one of my best friends died a few years ago, and I still cry at the thought of him. I was completely inconsolable at first, and needed to be medicated for months.
>>
>>16687551
I think most people who truly cared about them. Behave like you do, my friends are probably just being a little dramatic.

I will say though, that I did like bowie a lot, Alan rickman was cool, but david bowie was my favorite, and he was pretty courageous music wise, meaning later in his life, he came out with good albums, that were different and outside of his fan base. I feel a lot of musicians don't have that level of talent.
>>
>>16687443
>celebrity deaths
>>16687443
>I've had a number of friends so affected by this, they had to call out of work
I think your friends are MASSIVE fags and you are good for not giving a fuck about someone you never met and who doesn't know you existed.

it is not our burden to bear all the bad in the world and don't let anyone or anything convince you otherwise
>>
>>16687510
>I guess what matters is how we feel they affected our lives.
not really. when leonard nimoy died the first thing I was thinking was that we had to get to the genesis planet. I'm a huge fan of his but as far as I am concerned he is still around, to me, as much as he was before. I can still read his books, watch star trek, or listen to his music.
>>
While some people are really affected when the person was really important to them all their lives, it sounds like your friends are just making use of the situation.
>>
>>16687580
sweet, I'm glad someone agrees. I sorta want to tell them to get their shit together, but I think I'll just come off as an asshole. So, i've just been hanging out with other people, until they get over it.
>>
>>16687443
>With the two recent celebrity deaths of Rickman, and Bowie. I've had a number of friends so affected by this, they had to call out of work, or their day was ruined.
Seriously? Their bosses are fucking pushovers if they let that fly.
Okay, yeah, people we grew up with dying sucks. Guess what? People die everyday. Your mother. Your dog. Your ex. You. It sucks, but everyone faces it.
Yes, if they called into work because David Bowie or Alan Rickman died, well... that is fucking crazy stupid.
>>
>>16687603
With the whole rickman thing, My friend is like the biggest harry potter fan alive. She had like this thing were all her friends go together and fucking stuck their wands in the air to honor rickman. I kid you not, that retarded.

I just fell off of a tall building to honor him.
>>
>>16687616
>all her friends go together and fucking stuck their wands in the air to honor rickman.

Why are most Potter fans such fucking aspies? That's why I don't want to be associated with them.
>>
>>16687616
>My friend is like the biggest harry potter fan alive.
how old is your friend?
>>
>>16687655
pottertards are adults now and they still obsess over it.
>>
Your friends are weak anon, latching onto the drama of others and making it about them because they have nothing else. No character or lives of their own. That's what it sounds like, anyway.

They're your friends, so I don't mean any of this in a disrespectful way, but if they were my friends I'd have a word with them for their own good.
What's going to happen to those friends when something truly horrible happens to someone actually close to them?

Tell them to stop being so "me me me" and grow up.
>>
>>16687655
Honestly, I can't explain it. She's like 30. I mean they are all about that age. I sorta boggles my mind.
>>
>>16687673
to be fair though, she sorta made a career out of it. She has this business that is like a mystery theater, cosplay hybrid. Usually with a harry potter twist. I think in fandom circles she actually is famous. She is known for having the worlds largest harry potter collection.
>>
>>16687676
I just sorta live by a let them do them, and I do me type thing. They are cool to hang with, and they are cool people. I just found it strange this shit is sorta getting out of hand.

yea, but maybe your right.
>>
File: harry potter fans.jpg (73 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
harry potter fans.jpg
73 KB, 1024x687
>>16687680
>She's like 30
fucking harry potter fans why?
>>
>>16687693
Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful to your friends, but what happens when something inescapable and affecting comes along? They're going to jeopardise their livelihoods over an actor or musician dying. I'm assuming that at least one of them has a young family, so what happens to them if they lose their job over something stupid like this?

Maybe it's better to just leave them to it, and say nothing. If they were my friends I'd say something, that's all.
>>
>>16687696
they can be fun sometimes, but sometimes, shit just gets carried away. It literally has become a lifestyle.
>>
My girlfriend was in tears when she found out Bowie passed away.

I think Bowie is a special case since really was a pioneer in making LGBT issues mainstream and bringing forward the idea that it's ok to act and look like how you feel like, he spoke to a lot of lonely and odd people very deeply.

And as for Rickman I can see people of our generation growing up watching the Harry Potter movies and maybe looking up to Snape as a strong father figure or something, or watching them so much it feels like you know him.

Now if anyone cries when Kim Kardashian dies they're taking the piss.
>>
>>16687704
have you got friends who aren't like these ones? if so how do they compare to these ones and do you often notice a different between the two types?
>>
>>16687702
none taken, Your probably right. how would you bring it up? it sorta a awkward conversation.
>>
>>16687710
honestly, most of my friends don't act this way. It is just a special select group, that I've been hanging with of late that behave this way. Most behave how you think they should behave.
>>
>>16687706
That's a pretty good point about Bowie. And Rickman was one of the brighter lights in a series of movies a lot of people grew up with. I didn't cry over either of them -- felt a little melancholy about Rickman -- but I'm sure we all want to feel like the figures from our childhoods are immortal and timeless, and it stings when it hits us that they aren't.

I'd be a little scared of anyone who looked up to Snape as a strong father figure, though.
>>
>>16687706
are you saying catlyn jenner isn't a hero?
>>
>>16687616
Fuck Harry Potter. Die hard is my most memorable moment of him.
>>
>>16687721
hans gruber was the man. Fantastic villian, elegant, yet ruthless.
>>
>>16687716
good, go back to them, forget the "special" select group they don't sound like fun. Are they fun? What got you hanging around them?
>>
>>16687712
>You took a day off work because [celebrity] died? What's going to happen when your cat dies? Don't shoot up a school or anything
Yeah, I'm just talking shit there. I'd ask them straight why they took a day off work because Bowie or whoever else died. To be fair though I'm basing this reply on my relationships with my friends, which could be completely different.

>I just don't think it should effect someone to the point where they feel like a piece of them is missing. I mean people are comparing these people to family members.
You got it in one, just speak your mind for their own good.
>>
>>16687734
They are fun, it's just sometimes they get a little carried away. Usually, I just dismiss myself, let them get their nerdgasms done with, then go hang with them again.

I sorta like all the nerd stuff, I don't do it myself, but because they are nerds. They are usually a little open minded to do stuff, most people wouldn't do. Like go to ren faires, go to some highland games, throw some pretty cool theme parties, and honestly, some of them are pretty hot.

The negatives though is they can be dramatic over nothing sometimes. Like in this case. Take the good with the bad I guess.
>>
>>16687740
as far as any of us are concerned when a celebrity or musician or movie star or whatever the fuck dies they are still alive as much as we know them to be because all the work and media that we know them from is still around and accessible. Think about it, how do most people know david bowie? they saw him on tv or listened to his recorded music. You can still do those things. People crying over this stuff is a joke. Can older people tell me what extent this would happen to in days before social media?

it simply does not make sense to me and I'm not some nonfeeling autist. I was sad when my grandpa died and sad when I lost a friend. But a celebrity? fuck off, I have no sympathy for that pretend bullshit
>>
>>16687753
When I was in high school, I saw my mum kneeling in front of the TV crying her eyes out. Turns out that Princess Diana had died in France.
I wanted to slap her back to reality. They didn't know each other, they had never even been in the same town at the same time. Completely alien to each other, yet there she was crying like a widow.
But then she went to work.
>>
I had to take a day off after Lemmy died, though that was because I was nursing the worst hangover I've ever had. Me and a few mates spent all day listening to Motörhead then drunk ourselves silly in the evening. It felt like the right thing to do.
>>
>>16687761
it drives me mad. I certainly would not be able to stand it if any one of my friends did this. if I learned someone I knew took work off because a celebrity died my opinion of their character and who they are would change completely. I don't understand it. maybe I'm the wrong person to be giving you advice. I'd like to understand but I've tried and I can't that kind of mindset
>>
>>16687766
At least you celebrated his life and work instead of making it ALL ABOUT MEEEEE, and that it was alcohol that kept you from going in the next day and not some bizarre, abstract sense of personal loss.
>>
>>16687443
yeah everyone makes a big deal whenever someone famous dies

I'm over it desu senpai
>>
>>16687773
agreed and I'm poster who thinks OP's friends are dumbfucks. You and your friends got smashed and jammed out to tunes you like instead of pretending to be emotionally distraught
>>
I'm pretty depressed about people's lack of honor or respect for the dead more so. It's disturbing that they have to circlejerk every death and attack anyone feeling sad about it. Fuck you autists. It takes a certain level of scum to be so socially inept.
>>
ill be upset whenever the lead singer to smash mouth dies, whatever the fuck his name is

he'll always be an all star in my heart
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.