[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>grandma calls me today >SELAM ALEKUM <name>! >Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Jesus.jpg (29 KB, 301x421) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
29 KB, 301x421
>grandma calls me today
>SELAM ALEKUM <name>!
>Don't respond
>Come on, say it back!
>Uh, I'm busy with something, I'll talk to you later, sorry

We said goodbye and I hung up. I'm a Bosnian so this Muslim shite is really hanging over me and I can't escape it. I haven't been a Muslim for over a decade, but they don't know that otherwise there would be a shitstorm.

But now I am transitioning slowly to becoming a Christian, so it's disgusting to me to utter Islamic words and phrases, like when I used to as an Atheist who didn't give a shit.

How should I approach my grandmother the next time we talk?
>>
>Go from Islam to Sanity to Christianity, the most retarded of the religions
Fuckin really dude?
>>
You fucking answer to an old woman's greeting you pussy.
>>
If you tell them you alienate yourself from your family and risk being disowned. Personally I would tell my parents first and let them give the news to everyone else and you live your life. If they won't talk to you or make a big deal out of it, you have to live with the decision.

Or the easier more comfortable way is to lie and pretend you are muslim.

Neither choice is good but you gotta pick one anon.
>>
Is it okay for Christians to say Islamic greetings? Was I just being autistic?
>>
File: IMG_12529985615996.jpg (85 KB, 736x420) Image search: [Google]
IMG_12529985615996.jpg
85 KB, 736x420
>>16670242

Depends on which invisible friend it's more dangerous to offend.
>>
>>16670242
>Is it okay for Christians to say Islamic greetings?
Yes you shitstain, and even if it wasnt, that doesn't fucking matter and you should be culturally tolerant and do so anyways. You don't live in the fuckin feudal ages.
Your own god damn pope bowed and kneeled in respect when he met with Turkey's highest islamic cleric, because that is the polite damn thing to do.

Don't let your santa claus beliefs make you a fuckwit of a person.
>>
>>16670242
Who the fuck cares? It's your grandmother.
>>
>>16670242

Yes you idiot but the issue isn't that, the issue is this facade you are putting. If you were honest with your parents from the get go, this wouldn't be a problem now would it?
>>
>>16670260
Ayyy. Fuck you.

Mostly just saying some shit to get along to go along isnt the worst thing. Dont take it as a peroonal attack, op.
>>
>>16670242
What does the greeting mean?
>>
File: p-16988-St_Herman__05753.jpg (260 KB, 969x1280) Image search: [Google]
p-16988-St_Herman__05753.jpg
260 KB, 969x1280
>>16670242
No, greet them as you yourself would like to be greeted. Especially your elders deserve respect, but if they're not willing to respect you, you can't respect them.
>>16670260
The pope prostrating himself, rather than greeting him as his equal shows how far the catholic church has fallen. Though of course, this is nothing new as the western church has already declared itself spiritually desert when it recently defied the call to mission.
>>
>>16670221
Islam and Christianity are practically the same religion, what the fuck was the point of moving?
>>
>>16670284
"Peace be upon you".

It doesn't really have an Islamic connotation, and Christians use it as well. But if he feels uncomfortable with it, due to its association with Islam, he has every right to abstain from using it.
>>
>>16670303
Who the hell makes drama like this with their grandparents? Just say the damn greeting. Talking to your granny isn't a religious battle.
>>
Kek be a grown man and you are hiding what religion you believe in.

Absolutely pathetic. You won't take the advice of anyone here and continue to awkwardly hang up on your grandma or any family member.
>>
>>16670277

No offense taken. I expected a copious amount of edgy atheists before I made the thread.

I'll have to further consult with some Christian communities on what to do.
>>
>>16670314
I'm not him.

And I'm assuming he either doesn't know what the greeting actually means, or he feels guilt for doubting Christ and not having the courage to stand proud as a Christian.
>>
>>16670322
You're literally the worst kind of person.
>>
>>16670326
I know I was just wording it like that. He most likely does, just has stupidly strict views.
>>
>>16670329

I think you need some time for self-reflection, friend. You seem overly hostile.

Christ be with you.
>>
I had no idea the atheists on this board were so autistic and hostile.
>>
pa sta te briga kojo religija ma tvoa baka...
>>
Assuming you don't have family ties to the kind of Muslims that believe in killing apostates, it's better to just slowly let them realize.

Ignore the fedora lords in this thread. They are mentally 14.
>>
>>16670322
Rule-obsess much? I used to be like you.

It's your grandma bro, not Jesus.
>>
>>16670227
>Christianity
>most retarded
At Least we don't blow people up.
>>
>>16670240
"If you deny me in front of fellow man I will deny you before the father" wasn't it? Holy shit OP is really in a bind here. Just don't deny that you are a Christian if they ask. But don't feel pressured by God into giving up your family. He just wants you to be honest.
>>
>>16670242
Sure. It's ok to do that. think of it like saying shalom to a Jew
>>
>>16670725
Really dude? Plenty of murderers are Christian but nobody gives a shit because that doesn't sell in the news...
>>
>>16670386
You're surprised that atheists are vitriolic? Don't get me wrong there's some that aren't and frankly that's the way it should be.

People shouldn't be trying to shove shit down other people's throats or bashing people for what they choose to believe in. Most young atheists are fucking stupid and fall into this category of hateful people who can't keep to themselves.

I'm not religious but I respect people's decisions over something that has absolutely no effect on me.
>>
>>16670299
>practically same religion
We don't pull out crosses and pray facing Bethlehem. We don't have a Isis level violent extremist movement. We encourage treating others the way you want to be treated (as opposed to shariah law)
I know the Old Testament has some strict laws in it but we know it's humanly impossible to follow all of them, and we focus on forgiveness and the idea we all need a savior instead. That we all have struggles and issues and we need to hate the sin not the sinner, to forgive and help rather than execute. That is what makes us different.
>>
>>16670290
How far they've come you mean, "love thy neighbour not "love thy neighbour unless he doesn't agree with you then if you greet him respectfully you've fallen from the Christian faith"
I think it would be good if Christians stared actin in the foostepsnof Christ is all but if that seems ludicrous then fine.
"I like your Christ, i do not like your Christians your Christians are so unlike your christ" - Gandhi
>>
>>16670743
Plenty of people in every religion are murderers. Not saying we're perfect. Just saying that our ideas certainly aren't the worst out there. and people who think we are the worst tend to purposely overlook the horrendous ideals of some other religions like radical Islam (not regular Islam they can be real bros at times) because of some personal vendetta against Christianity.
>>
>>16670761
This. Real Christianity is love. Jesus said love thy neighbor, not love thy neighbor only if he is a Christian.
>>
If something like speaking another language because it's related to Another religion is disgusting to you're not gonna make a very good Christian... In fact you're pretty shitty person for not talking to your grandma and lying about why you can't
>>
lets be honest it's probably the language Jesus spoke ( if he was anything near real) being from the middle east and desu I think it's all bullshit how the fuck did he find guys called mark and Paul and shit like that
>>
it's your fucking grandma you cunt

say hail fucking satan to her if she greets you with that.
>>
>>16670838
Jesus spoke aramaic, hebrew and possibly greek.
>>16670761
Love, and tolerance does not imply submission and acceptance.

In fact, to accept and encourage sin in others is hateful.
>>16670742
In fact it's even literally the same greeting. Shalom aleikhem in Hebrew.
>>
đes bolan
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.