[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so my car was overheating today. I drove it home after i pulled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_7135.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7135.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
so my car was overheating today. I drove it home after i pulled over and let it cool down. I wasn't far. its a Chrysler seabring.. like 2006 or something.

so I opened the hood because my dad told me I might just need to put fluid in it. but this is what the thing with the radiator cap on it looks like. is it supposed to be disconnected?

sorry I know nothing about cars.. does anyone know whats wrong, and if its gonna be expensive? im legit broke so im kinda worried
>>
You unscrew it, stick your finger in it to check the heat viscosity, then kill yourself.
>>
>>16653293
>>
Na really tho, that's the alternator. It regulates the heat intake on the car. When you were having issues, how did the engine sound?
>>
>>16653305
the engine didn't sound any different. it jut overheated and I only knew because it started beeping and a red light went on

I know something has been wrong with the like heat/air conditioner for a while because when I use it it leaks water sometimes onto the passenger side ground
>>
>>16653284
Put the cap on, dumbass. A car works like a glorified tea kettle. It's meant to be a controlled pressurized system.

Look online for under the hood diagrams for your year and make of car. Once you have that, learn how to check the oil and the engine coolant. You don't want your engine temperature to run too high or else you will have the possibility of blowing the head gasket seal on your engine. This is effectively shaking up a bottle of soda so hard that the cap flies off. You can imagine that a repair of such a nature is quite expensive. You don't want that to happen.
>>
>>16653305
but also that's the radiator cap so idk why you said alterntor
>>
>>16653305
Essentially, this alternator is very important - but this is the problem, they cost shit loads to repair. Good luck eating for the next six months, poor ass faggot. Just kill yourself and make it easy for everyone else.
>>
>>16653314
Leaking water from using the air conditioner means that a special drainage pipe called an evaporation duct is clogged. It is a relatively simple fix that any repair shop can do. All they have to do is run a snake or a thin cleaning line up through the evaporation duct underneath the car into the evaporation reservoir which is inside the car. Once they do this, a lot of the water that is probably sloshing around inside your evaporation Reservoir will leak out.
>>
>>16653324
idk what youre talking about because the cap is on. I didn't take anything off. I just took a picture of that because it looks like one tube was disconnected from another. no need to say dumbass but ok....
>>
>>16653284
Hose is supposed to be connected. Check the hose for defects like a crack, or just compare it to one online. Search for upper radiator hose. If it's just disconnected, buy a hose clamp for a dollar, and put antifreeze through the cap. If it's fucked, buy a new hose, max like $30, then antifreeze again. Look at bleeding procedures online afterwards to get air out.

Or sell something and go see a mechanic.
>>
>>16653332
yeah that's not the alternator and you have no idea what youre talking about.

you are a loser, sitting at ur computer telling people to kill themselves. I feel bad for you.

no longer responding, get a life.
>>
>>16653340
do you have any idea what a mechanic would be? like im a young girl I don't know how to do this stuff, my dad lives across the country and I don't really have any dudes who know this much about cars to help me out...
>>
>>16653338
>>16653340

OP you're right, it shouldn't be like that. The hose should be connected there and it isn't so all the cooling water has escaped. Do not drive your car, you will ruin it.

Unfortunately it looks like the collar the hose pushes might have broken off. So it may not need only the hose replaced but also the radiator repaired or replaced. It may be $200 and you need to see a mechanic.
>>
>>16653360
You can ask an auto parts store to help you out. They won't replace parts though if it needs to be replaced. They can also give you phone numbers for mechanics. Some of them are mobile and can come to your location. I wouldn't run the car either.
>>
File: yule_marble_sculpture2web.jpg (12 KB, 380x337) Image search: [Google]
yule_marble_sculpture2web.jpg
12 KB, 380x337
Looks like the hose separated. Try a new hose clamp, it's like $4.
>>
>>16653360
Ring a mobile mechanic service and send him the pic u posted here. Ask them how much.
>>
>>16653378
>>16653376
ok :/ this fucking sucks

and I have no money.. so Im like literally screwed
>>
>>16653385
where do I find one ?
>>
>>16653389
You have a car. It runs on gas. Gas costs money, therefore you have money.

You can afford to educate yourself for a few hours for free by reading up about your car. Then ask around if anyone works on cars or has friends that are gearheads. Tell them you have some questions. Most people will volunteer knowledge for free
>>
>>16653389
You're going to have to sell something then. Most likely the job is just like $40. If you look distressed in front of the parts store, some mechanics will probably help for free.
>>
>>16653391
refer to:
>>16653378
>>16653399
>>16653385
>>
>>16653400
I can borrow $40 for someone, but do I have to fix it by myself? like I don't trust myself to do that
>>
>>16653445
No, borrow the money to pay the mechanic. Tell him only to replace the hose only if it needs to be replaced, replace the clamp, and top it off with antifreeze.
>>
>>16653460
ok so how do I get my car there?
is towing expensive?

should I try to do it by myself?
like I could ask my boyfriend but I don't think he will know what to do at all
>>
>>16653460
I still think the neck of the fitting has snapped off. See how short the remaining section is? Much less than the length require for the clamp to grip.

I don't think you can fix it yourself.
>>
>>16653475
Use google. Search "mobile mechanic" and your zip code.
>>
>im broke
>i have no money
>im broke

why are you acting like someone is going to throw you 50 bucks or something
>>
>>16653488
I have people who will let me borrow money... ur irrelevant

>>16653486
ok, I couldn't find any in my area tho.....=/

>>16653479
ehh idk
>>
>>16653479
Looks normal to me honestly. Maybe if we could get another angle.
>>16653475
Do you want me to walk you or something? Call a parts store, ask for a number to a mechanic or mobile mechanic. Call them and ask about a quote, most likely its just the clamp and the price of the antifreeze. Max like $60 to spend. You shouldn't do it yourself because you don't know what you're looking at desu, and your boyfriend should know at least one car guy who could help out.
>>
>>16653284
The mechanic will most likely want you to replace your radiator but it can get fixed. What happened is that the nozzle that the hose latches onto broke off. Dont drive your car anywhere youll screw it up and overheat it some more and your repair costs will be much higher. Just call a repair workshop amd ask for a quote on the radiator. Once replaced all you need isthe coolant/antifreeze levels to be correct and you will be like new... Until something else fails.
>>
Self taught mechanic coming through

That's the hose from your thermostat by the looks of it. The thermostat opens when a certain temperature is reached to allow the passing of coolant through your engine, thus cooling it.

It would appear your thermostat housing has broken, the plastic looks sheared. Hard to tell by that one pic alone though.

It won't be expensive don't worry, you could order the part and replace it yourself
>>
>>16653284
wait so have you checked your coolant reservoir?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.