[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /adv/. I need some help. I'm an ex-NEET. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1371607787832.jpg (61 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1371607787832.jpg
61 KB, 800x800
Hey, /adv/. I need some help.

I'm an ex-NEET. I've successfully broken out of the cycle and now I'm working and going to school. The only problem is that I'm 28. I'm going to school for finance and I'm currently at community college. I'm making pretty decent grades and my GPA is about 3.1.

I work at a shitty grocery store and some autist I befriended there keeps coming up to me telling me that I might as well go full-time at a grocery store because nobody's going to want to hire a 30-ish year old with no real work experience outside of a grocery store.

Is what he's saying true? Am I pretty much doomed? Should I just do full-time at this grocery store? I just want some shitty desk job and make 40k.
>>
finish your degree and find out dipshit, not doing that will ensure that you WILL be stuck in a grocery store your whole life
>>
People that are miserable love to drag others down with them. Don't worry about it. Work hard.
>>
>>16645232
Fuck that negativity man. You are not going to be at that grocery for the rest of your life unless that's where you want to be. Your working toward a degree and is how you'll get your finance job. Don't sweat the doubters. For what it's worth, I believe in you.
>>
I finished college at 27 and got work in my field soon after. Your coworker is a jealous dipshit trying you bring you down with him. As for me, I'm genuinely happy to see someone make positive changes in their life.
>>
>>16645232

finishing your degree will show a potential employer that you're motivated enough to put in the work to take yourself where you want to be in life, and what makes an autist's advice valid anyway? dude's probably miserable himself and projecting his own self-doubt onto you
>>
>>16645242
You graduated at 27. I'm (going) to be graduating at 32 or maybe 34. I admit, I really fucked up but depression is a bitch to fight, but I did it. Do companies even hire people in their mid 30's with no practical work experience in their field of study?
>>
>>16645239
>>16645254
If you're curious, the guy was expelled for sending a death threat to the dean of the university he went to. He's an autist and I don't take anything he says seriously but this one got me thinking. I hear a lot of companies hiring, but only people with 6-months to 1-year experience in finance. Is this true? Will I have an incredibly difficult time finding a job when I graduate? I'm working hard to make up the lost time.
>>
>>16645268
If you have a degree than you are on the radar so to speak, but NOTHING IS GUARANTEED. Not to say it will never happen, but it usually takes time. Please try and remember that, OP.
>>
>>16645268

try to get an internship or some sort of entry level position at a financial institution while you're in school. I'm guessing working at a grocery store has at least given you some customer service experience, and that's always a good thing to have on a resume. also your friend is retarded, and I think it's safe to say everybody in this thread believes in you OP.
>>
>>16645268

Dude, you are aiming at 40k. If you're really worried, I'll tell you that you can most likely get some kind of operations or junior accounting job at a mortgage broker or some other kind of financial institution and start at like 20-25k or something. Within a few months you'll probably get bumped to go about 30k once they realize that you're not retarded and can do the work. Commissions, treatises, and overtime will get you to 40k easily after 2 years max - and this is assuming that you don't take it upon yourself to learn and move up within the company. Slightly more technical jobs can net you 50k or more.

No one really fucking cares that you're 30+ so long as you show up on time to the interview and demonstrate that you can come to work and do your job.
>>
>>16645286
>>16645281
>>16645279
Thank you guys so much. I really needed these kind words. I was a NEET but I will never go back to that life. I'll continue to work hard. Thanks again, friends.
>>
File: 1451773108985.gif (664 KB, 383x359) Image search: [Google]
1451773108985.gif
664 KB, 383x359
OP! I'm a NEET too. I'm 26, but this year I hope to finally change my NEET ways like you're doing

I want to say to you...keep trying! Don't give up! This person who comes and says discouraging things like that, just ignore them. They're bitter and jaded. You're never too old to make it SOMEwhere. You're smart and probably fast at typing so get a typing test done! Community colleges should offer them for free and I think they help with getting desk jobs.

Anyway, NEETs are just undiscovered talents. Anxiety makes us think we're too far gone, but it's not true at all. ex-NEETs like you give hope to NEETs like me that want to break free too...so push harder and show the rest of us how its done!
>>
>>16645232
just remember, minimum qualifications are in truth only recommended. i got a job requiring 1 year factory experience with 0 experience and it pays over $13 an hour.
>>
>>16645777
Thank you friend. I will keep your words to heart. Good luck breaking out of NEETlife. I was a NEET for 5 years and it was incredibly difficult to at least start working.
>>
If you continue with your degree, especially if you get a Bachelor's you should be fine. I would advise eventually seeking out internships relevant to Finance to pad out your resume. Just keep up with those studies.

I know a guy who's been part-timing school for years now, and is just shy of getting a degree in Engineering. He's 30 and getting internships now, which should help in the future.

He also works at a grocery store. Amazing the things one can achieve with some perseverance.
>>
tell him to stfu and do your best to take that gpa to 4
>>
>>16645256
Yes they do, I know someone that was 52 when they got a degree and they landed a solid job right away despite little relevant work experience. Keep pushing forward OP.
>>
>>16645236

As cliche as this sounds, it's true OP. This is someone who has a negative, and uneducated, view on something and is trying to spread it.

It may not be something as petty as jealously driving it, but it's needless negativity none-the-less.

You can find something at ~30 years old, most certainly.
>>
>>16645232
>I work at a shitty grocery store and some autist I befriended
This autist is not your friend. Like >>16645239
said, you don't need this negativity. He's probably jealous because you're actually doing something with your life. You're awesome! You're doing so great, keep proving him wrong.
>>
>>16645777
Good luck out there. You can do it!
>>
It depends on your major. TONS of STEM fields have lots of cases where companies are discovered to be dismissing candidates simply based on age (because younger people more often work longer and for less which is "needed" in a fast paced environment).
That being said it's not IMPOSSIBLE for people near/over 30 to be hired, it just might be a disadvantage at some companies.
Just do your best OP
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.