[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some, mostly younger men address women as dude, man, bro,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Why do some, mostly younger men address women as dude, man, bro, etc.?

Is this socially acceptable now?

What happened to hon, woman/girl, or sister?
>>
>>16642587
hon, woman and sister are way too intimate to address a woman you don't know.
>>
>"hey hon"
fine, you know, if you're an old lady
>"hey woman"
has kind of a rude feel to it
>"hey girl"
unless you want to communicate your desire to fuck her or you're her gay bff don't address a girl like that
>"hey sister"
just doesn't sound right
>>
Hon, where's little Archie and Sara-Anne?
Woman, where's my dinner?
Hey girl, let me get a look at those tits.
Hey sister, we're both African-American.
>>
Well is dude or man really appropriate?
What about sweetie or sweetheart?
>>
>>16642624
THIS. LMFAO.
>>
>>16642587
Im a woman and every peer is "dude" to me. It's just friendly/casual/informal way to address someone without using their name.
>>
>>16642653
that would be SO CREEPY don't do that to anyone unless you're gay, a female or have a girlfriend.
>>
>>16642587
It's best just to use their names.

If there is a group of women, do NOT address them as "girls". That sounds like something a father would call his daughters, or a pimp addressing his workers. In this case you should call them "guys", there really isn't an acceptable feminine noun for them.
>>
>>16642587
Its a mostly gender neutral term nowadays. I do it and none of my female friends seem to care.
>>
>>16642676
Dude sounds pretty immature
>>
>>16642587
what about calling girls "dear"?
>>
File: Don't Bro Me.jpg (35 KB, 315x480) Image search: [Google]
Don't Bro Me.jpg
35 KB, 315x480
I usually just use "guys" for everybody.
Only once got called on it when I stopped two women to ask for directions in Santa Fe.
Guessing they might have been lesbian as Santa Fe is a popular lesbian city.
>>
File: George hat.jpg (59 KB, 510x370) Image search: [Google]
George hat.jpg
59 KB, 510x370
>>16642812
Unless you're my fucking grandpa, you really have no business calling me that
>>
I only do it to women who are on that whole "gender is a social construct" train. Speak to your audience and all that jazz.
>>
>>16642587

feminism, and not the bad kind. i dont think dude was ever REALLY just for dudes, it started as part of dude culture and dudette was funny, but no one honestly uses dudette. theres a reason it doesn't get past spellcheck. its only ever been used ironically.

the more guys treat women like guys the better life will be imo
>>
>>16642653

that owuld be REALLY weird. sweetie has only ever been used for A) girls you are into or B) girls under your care. like if you are their father or their boss or teacher or something. and even then isnt that generally said only by women?

>>16642755

even with a gf its creepy. i mean if oyu say it to your gf its okay, but still weird, but if you said it to someone else your gf would likely be uncomfortable
>>
>hon
what the fuck is this

I thought it was "hun"
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.