[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Age difference rule
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 1401x788
Would /adv/ say the "half your age and add 7" rule is acceptable when it comes to dating?
>>
>>16640297
Anything legal is acceptable, hence, legal.
>>
>>16640297
just state the age difference and stop acting like a bitch.
>>
>>16640300
Legal =/= not creepy.
>>
Mommy/daddy issues. Every time. Even when everyone presents as healthy/approving of weird age gap relationships, there is always a weird power imbalance.
>>
>>16640297
>Would /adv/ say the "half your age and add 7" rule is acceptable when it comes to dating?
Only up until the older partner is in their mid-late twenties or so. After that, the window gets narrower in relative terms (though not so much in absolute terms). For example, a 22-year-old and a 30-year-old pass the test, but are still strange.
>>
is this rule really true? i'm 18, the guy I like is 24, according to the rule that's unacceptable
my mom started dating my dad at my age though and he was also 6 years older than her..
>>
>>16640411
When you're 24 you'll understand how creepy this is.
>>
>>16640303

>trucker talking about what is and is not creepy

That's my toppest kek for tonight, thanks.
>>
>>16640411

Honestly, what do you have to lose?
It worked for your parents and it worked even better for mine (Mom was 35, Dad was 53) since they're still together.

Worst comes to worst you break up.
Wowwie.
>>
>>16640436
But I'm legal. It's not like I'm 16 and he's 22
>>
>>16640297

>tfw 24 y/o male
>tfw in a relationship with a 52 y/o woman
>>
>>16640297
Yes
>>
File: Strippedbarney.png (221 KB, 322x649) Image search: [Google]
Strippedbarney.png
221 KB, 322x649
The whole point of the rule is that if you stay within it, nobody will think the older person is creepy.
>>
>>16640411
It's creepy. Of course since you're an adult, you can legally do it, but the rule gives a good rule of thumb on what'll seem creepy to other people. Of course, there are individual differences, yada yada, perhaps you're the exception that confirms the rule, but at that age there's still a power and experience imbalance and it's somewhat off
>>
>>16640526
No its not
>>
Very slightly related: I feel rather old (30, kissless, etc) and I've met someone I'm fairly sure is younger than me.
I don't really want to worry about it but how should I broach the subject?
>>
>>16640542
You can try to deny it all you want, won't change that an age gap of that size at that age is a big deal and people will quietly judge in their minds
>>
I don't really care about those rules. If you're both adults, go for it. I live in Scandinavia, and in my country, the age of consent is 15 years old (people will not give a fuck if you're 14 and 16 e.g. though, it's only meant to protect children from predators). No one cares/will bat an eye if you're 18 and dating a 25-year old, that's honestly quite normal here. People were actually very surprised that my ex was only a month older than I.

Everything depends on the situation and maturity of the people involved. My best friend dated a 29-year old when she was 17, and she was honestly more mature than he was; he wasn't in a hurry to have kids or anything, so the age difference wasn't that big a deal.

I just turned 20, I'm dating a 30-year old. Two years younger than this allows, but who cares? I doubt those two years would make a big difference.
>>
I like a 19 year old girl and I am 21 soon to be 22. Is that creepy? She also looks younger than she is.
It feels a little creepy but I remember being 18 and talking to her when she was 14.
>>
>>16640436
I'm 25 and I'd date an 18 year old. Then again I still look and feel 18.
>>
>>16640411
Yeah but what's creepier is that you're 18 and can't basic math.
>>
File: Shirobako_Promotional_Poster.png (414 KB, 342x512) Image search: [Google]
Shirobako_Promotional_Poster.png
414 KB, 342x512
>>16640579
Just go for it.
>>
>>16640694
That's my intention, but I'm worried it might be too much for her.

I guess typing that out helped. Like anything else I can't control her response. That'd defeat the entire point of wanting a genuine connection with another human being.

If it's too much, that has to be ok. Thanks dude.
>>
>>16640518
This. You can go outside the rule by a few years in each direction with minimal consequences, but consequences there will be. The larger the gap the larger the consequences.
>>
>>16640455
True Life once did an episode focused on an 18 year old girl dating a 21 year old guy and how that 3 year age difference was destroying their relationship.
>>
>>16640644
>I remember being 18 and talking to her when she was 14.
Is this why you want to date her?
>>
>>16640411
Bit it'd be 19 for his cutoff under the rule?
>>
>>16640691
Please explain how my math is wrong
24รท2=12
12+7=19
I'm 18.
24-18=6
There's a six year age difference between us
>>
>>16640297

"1/2 your age + 7" is a good rule for when one of the parties is below 20

But if both parties are above 20, you're being a serious bitch if you care that there's an age difference between two consenting adults
>>
File: 1348386704356.png (562 KB, 463x634) Image search: [Google]
1348386704356.png
562 KB, 463x634
I dated a 16 year old when I was 22
>>
>>16642622

I find that this issue is a good way to judge how much people tend to think for themselves

If they're the sort of person who thinks it's "creepy" to date someone any more than +- 3 years in age difference, they're usually a tremendously boring faggot
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.