[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ivy leagues out of the picture, what is the best US university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Ivy leagues out of the picture, what is the best US university for the humanities, specifically English and Philosophy?
>>
>>16631348
It doesn't really matter where you go at this point for those degrees.
>>
>>16631351
If I want to get the best education, wouldnt it be best to choose a school with a strong department in *insert major here*?
>>
If you study something like philosophy, it absolutely doesn't matter where you do that. Your studying will look like that: you'll read a shitload of books by various philosophers, and occasionally discuss some of them at uni. That's it. It really doesn't matter whether you spend 90% of your time reading books in your dorm room at Harvard or California or Bangladesh. Ask yourself, how much money do you want to spend, and how important is the uni's prestige to you?
>>
>>16631364
What about English? That is really going to be my major. Philosophy is going to be a minor. That or psychology.
>>
>>16631354
The difference between the worst school and the best school is like the difference between a B average student, and a C average student. They both passed. In college your education depends wholly on what you invest in it, and the curriculum is more or less just a means to getting your diploma; essentially a participation award these days.
>>
>>16631373
I also want to pursue post-graduate education, so I want an undergrad program which will help prepare for that. I'm a Texas resident. My parents dont have money at all for college.
>>
bamp
>>
buh bump
>>
>>16631351
This is bullshit, but "English" and "Philosophy" are really very broad. There are definitely schools and faculties that are especially strong in certain areas, but you'll need more specific interests to find them.

Any professor who is actually a productive scholar and is active in his field could tell you about those schools/departments, but how you find those idk.
>>
>>16632176
Hm. Alright, well thank you anon.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.