[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lifting/losing weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_noq3mfjjTb1qzkyono1_1280.jpg (120 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noq3mfjjTb1qzkyono1_1280.jpg
120 KB, 640x640
@ this point i'm not sure if this belongs in /fit/ or /adv/ but hell

so, i'm trying to figure out if i should keep losing weight or start trying to put on muscle. i'm currently 111.2, aiming to get down to around 95-100, and at 4'11. i've always liked the ~lithe look, but, i guess i also just defaulted to it since i'm pretty short and it seems like it would make the most sense.

i've lost weight without going to a gym (i run), but to gain muscle i'd need to spend some money on a gym or equipment, and so, in that case, i would be also in the market for some sort of work out buddy to help me out(not for motivation, i can motivate myself fine). but it just seems like a lot of commitment for results i may not want and i'm still not very comfortable with my body yet.

advice from anons?
>>
>>16630185
Personal trainer here, what is your muscle goal? just to be stronger? to gain muscle in certain areas? bikini season?
>>
>>16630185
Eat pizza. Drink beer. Sit on your fat ass. That's all you need to know.
>>
you're a fucking midget, you should go lift so that you don't get stuck under the couch or some shit. I don't know why you think you need a friend to get muscles, but whatever. If I were 110lbs @ 4"11 I'd start trying to get a little muscle but not do anything crazy like eating more than I already do.
>>
Always muscle. Fat is so easily controlled through the food you eat anyway. Muscle takes work. So put in the work now and then revisit the question down the road. If you think your body fat is still a problem then you clean up your diet and it's done in 3 easy months with no additional effort.
>>
>>16630200
I honestly just want to look better 90% - 10% be able to do at least 30 push-ups without wanting to roll over and die. And, I guess the appeal of muscles is because I'd be able to eat more than I do.

>>16630202
Got the pizza thing down. No to the rest, tho.

>>16630208
lifting isn't going to make me taller, tho. and not a friend, per se - but i don't know how to use the equipment or how to lift without hurting myself, and i haven't the money for a personal trainer yet but i don't want to wait.

fun fact:
4"11 is actually just above the reqs for being considered a midget.

>>16630212
good point.
>>
In the same boat anon, could do with some advice too...
>>
>>16630231
How many days can you commit per week to training

Where will you train? at home with equipment or at a gym?

What is your current lifestyle and diet? do you move around a lot? do you sit at a desk for work? do you eat a lot of junk food?
>>
>>16630244
I can commit a good 4 hours. No more due to studies and the fact my university is pretty far away.
I'll probably be training at home until I get my car sorted then I would be able to go gym.
Yes my diet comprises of lots of fast food but I rarely meet the calories I need. I mean I physically feel sick once I reach 2000 calories..
Not OP but could do with similar advice
>>
>>16630244
6 days. I run every day, already, though.

Training ideally at the gym every day.

I'm pretty sedentary up until the run. I run for an hour, I do eat a lot of junk food or not much at all, but I've been sliding in healthier alternatives.
>>
>>16630260
Train 3 days a week at the gym with 1 day running (outdoors or on a treadmill), running for an hour is pretty good.

You will want to do this routine
AxBxCxD

A - Push ups day
Push ups, do them as full push ups, half push ups (with your knees on the floor instead of from your toes) or quarter push ups (with your knees under your hips) until failure, them move to half/quarter and carry on until failure, relax for 5 minutes then try again, make sure you don't lock out your elbows at the top of the movement and don't let your core sag
Finish off with stretch crunches until failure
light cardio (jogging/walking) in the evening if you want to

B - Legs day
5 minutes warming up (jogging pace) on a rower, remember 1 push with legs 2 pull bar to your sternum 3 relax arms so the bar moves back over your knees 4 flex your legs to return to the starting position
Weighted squats, aim for 10 reps, rest for 2 minutes, repeat until you can manage 6 reps, then move to the next exercise
Adductor machine, aim for 10 reps, ^
Abductor machine, aim for 10 reps, ^
Leg extension machine, aim for 10 reps, ^
Leg curl machine, aim for 10 reps, ^
As you want to build muscle doing anything, aim for an intensity that you struggle to do 10 reps of, if you can manage 12 or more then the weight is too light.
Also remember to take care getting off from the machines, your legs might need a moment to adapt

C - Upper body
5 minutes warming up (jogging pace) on a rower or elliptical machine
tricep dips (on assisted machine if needed) until failure
bicep curls with any weight you can manage 20 reps of, 30 seconds rest then go again until failure
lateral raises ^
Lat pulldown machine ^

D - Cardio day
Running, find a pace you start to feel "the burn" at, then run a bit slower and maintain the pace as long as you can.

x is rest day, maintain a healthy diet and go for a walk if you like
>>
>>16630355
Wow, I really appreciate this. Thank you.
>>
>>16630185
>@ this point i'm not sure if this belongs in /fit/ or /adv/ but hell
/fit/ would probably be better. /adv/ has a lot of fatties on it.

But sometimes /fit/ can come here too. Lucky you.

Muscle provides long-term benefits. One of the reasons women get fatter as they age more than men do is that men put more effort into building/maintaining muscle when we're young. Muscle burns calories, and also helps counter fat from an aesthetic standpoint. A woman at 27%bf with no muscle is going to look a little chunky, whereas if she had the same fat but a good amount of muscle she'd look a lot better.

It's hard to build muscle as you age. It's harder physically and you can be more injury prone, and it can be harder mentally too to really stick with a lifting program. So take advantage when you're young and go lift. Build muscles. Lack of muscle is going to bite you in the ass when your older. Obviously it'll affect your looks as you'll get fatter and sag more, but it'll also affect your health. You don't want to be some frail helpless old lady in your 40s, and lack of muscle can also lead to things like osteoperosis.

If you can't afford gym or equipment, talk to /fit/. People there have made gains without a gym.
>>
>>16630355
>push ups day

Stopped reading there.

OP, go to /fit/, read the sticky and check out the QTDDTOT thread. Fitness is really pretty simple, calories in > calories out = weight gain, calories in < calories out = weight loss. Lifting won't turn you into a bodybuilder unless you train for years or start roids, squats and lunges will help make your ass look nice, youtube can teach you everything you need to know about proper form, and most importantly, don't give up. You're not going to see immediate results in regards to your appearance, it'll take a solid 2-4 months before you notice you're starting to look different.
>>
>>16630418
>>16630462
I'll check out /fit/, anyway, too. Danke.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.