[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fine Art degree or something else
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: marker drawing 2.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
marker drawing 2.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
Europefag here (I won't state country here). Should I get a degree in Fine Art when my predicted grades are good enough for Medicine and really every career available? I am interested in teaching art yet my parents advised me to pick something other than Fine Art. They said that the prospects, status, salary for Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, etc are much better than teaching Fine Art. They said that teaching art to kids who are annoying and misbehaving will suck and if I become a teacher there is administrative work to do. They said I can just teach art as a hobby.
>>
I'd personally keep it as a hobby. Especially you have more tangible and maybe even more rewarding career options available. I decided to pursue a STEM degree and just draw and build a portfolio in my free time. Fuck man, you don't need a degree to put lines on paper.
>>
>>16626112
You'll quickly become disillusioned with the salary of a doctor

Around just under £30,000 starting, then add £3,000 a year thereafter

I have friends on £84,000 who studied standard degrees, whilst I'm in my sixth and final year of medicine

You'll have to move to London / NY etc for that though

You have to love medicine, and you clearly don't
>>
>>16626217

Should add that you don't necessarily have to pursue the career the degree was designed for. You could go on to do something completely different. I've considered going into career subjects like graphic design once I get mine. But you can use the degree to prove to potential employers that you're not an idiot and depending on the subject, can be used as a bargaining chip.
>>
Pick something you find fulfilling but without a complete lack of career prospects. You're going to be spending plenty of money on studying it, unless you're from a country where it's free, and you're going to be doing it for a large portion of your life. Pick something you feel will give emotional fulfillment because going to work absolutely hating your job every day - a place where we spend a large amount of time - is not a good way to live.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.