[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I do, /adv/? I'm in the midst of trying to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: folder.jpg (12 KB, 99x132) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
12 KB, 99x132
What should I do, /adv/?

I'm in the midst of trying to change my life for the better, but I keep getting distracted.

I'm addicted to games and mindlessly browsing the internet.

What do I do?
>>
Tell me this what exactly do you want?
>>
Bump or interest. I too have this problem
>>
>>16622427
I want to start focusing more time on reading and developing my skills while properly handelling my education.

I want to start focussing on the things that are critical to my life. But I just keep sidetracking to distractions.

For example, after doing any amount of work I just fall into a 10 hour marathon of gaming.
>>
>>16622438
I guess I'll continue.

Its always a cycle.

First : its just gonna be 10 minutes
Second : I guess i ll just do this...
Third : ah , whatever!
Etc.

At the final hour and its midnight. A perfectly good day completely watsed.

I feel like shit, and everything starts to crumble.

Am I forever going to be limited by distractions?
>>
>>16622438
Well these books should help you with your quest.
>http://www.what-is-coaching.com/support-files/lazymansway2riches.pdf
>http://eventualmillionaire.com/Resources/ThinkandGrowRich.pdf
>http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net/itworks.pdf
>>
>>16622462
Thanks!

I assume you have read or at least known of them before. Then, could you tell me, how you avoid distractions?

I mean, I have the books now, and Im sure as hell gonna read them. But a small part of my mind knows that when I stop just to take a breath, I'll fall into the trap of getting distracted.

Dont you?
>>
>>16622474
>how you avoid distractions
Lets say for years you said screw education and homework. I want to play video games. Over time you condition your self image to play video games instead of homework or any sort of education.

Now 5 years in the future you realize your choice to play video games has made you useless to society and you can't get a decent job.

You want to stop playing video games and start getting educated and doing homework. Although once you start within 30 minutes you loathe it and your self image is just screaming at you to play video games.

You start playing video games again and forget about the better choice of getting educated.

In order to change that you have to start taking action on a subconscious level. The subconscious is the home of the self image. Our self-image is our mental map of reality about ourselves and our potential in the world. Every experience we have, whether we remember it or not, impacts our self image. Some of those experiences have convinced us to accept falsehoods as gospel truths.

While some things that we believe may not be true, they can take on the power of truth in our subconscious. The problem is identifying which assumptions and beliefs are holding us back from making the changes we want in life. All our beliefs and experiences contribute to our behavior, which is 95% subconscious. That leaves very little behavior subject to conscious control.

Your mind has adopted a set point for every area of your life -- your fitness level, weight, finances, and relationship balance. Your mind has adopted a policy of homeostasis, or maintaining the status quo in each area. Convincing your mind to move the set point even a few ticks in any direction takes a herculean effort. To make any lasting change in your life, pressing your self image into service can be a much more powerful technique than using sheer willpower.

Those books I gave you will help you in your herculean effort to change your self image.
>>
>>16622426

Take away the internet

>BUT I NEED THAT

think about what you actually need the internet for. will the internet on your phone suffice? then why not cancel your internet plan, you still have your phone for when you need to look stuff up, but not a computer for just dicking around lazily.
>>
>>16622524
For me, commitment devices don't work simply because of the fact that when I'm desperate, I'll definitely find a way to play.
>>
>>16622521
Damn. I really appreciate this.
I was thinking of going on a 6 month hiatus.
Now I see that whatever I do will change my self image. I have to make the changes in my identity to change my ways.

Thank you.
>>
>>16622531

well what your basically saying at this point is
>no matter what precautions i take, i will find a way around it

so we cannot help you. we cant give you a cheat code if you arent going to type it in.
>>
>>16622543
While I understand your view, I've tried resseting my phone and clearing my computer. However, the urge just comes and maybe after a month or two my willpower breaks and I lapse

I'm intrigued how the worlds best performers get so much done despite also being surrounded by distractions.
>>
>>16622555
I feel there must be a reason why they can and I cannot.

But anyway, thanks. You guys really changed my perspective, and hopefully, my life.
>>
>>16622555
>>16622560

they get it done cuz they literally say 'i will not do this, i have stuff to do'.

there is no cheat code here. its not that they have something you do not other than willpower itself.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.