[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people choose not to have kids?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: kid art.jpg (111 KB, 572x394) Image search: [Google]
kid art.jpg
111 KB, 572x394
>You are making your dating pool smaller - most people want kids
>You only live once and you are missing out a lot if you don't have kids
>You don't get to pass on your genes and assets into future generations
>Who will look after you when you are old?
>Who will pay respect to you after your death?
>>
;_;
>>
>>16617063
Because kids are useless money pits that require constant attention and prevent you from taking proper vacations and degenerate sex marathons
>>
whats the advice needed here
>>
>>16617063
>>You don't get to pass on your genes and assets into future generations
I have nephews.

>>Who will look after you when you are old?
Do you think I live in Africa? That's how overpopulation starts.

>>Who will pay respect to you after your death?
My siblings and friends.
>>
>>16617067
You will never love anyone as much as you love your kid. I mean you don't even know you're capable of loving someone so much. Also holidays and birthdays are exciting/fun again. All this pride and happiness from making someone else's life happy. And the way they look at you like you're absolutely perfect and just love you more than anyone else in the world. Like you know to them you are the most important person absolutely. It's the happiest I've ever been and I couldn't be more thankful.

That being said, if you don't want kids you shouldn't have them. It is tough being a kid that knows they aren't wanted and feel like a burden just for being born.
>>
>>16617093
This
>>
Not OP, but any of you adopted a child here? What is it like?
>>
>>16617170
I have not but if I can't have more children I'd like to be a foster mom one day. I have a big enough house and a soft spot for kids that just want a place to be comfortable and call home. I'm waiting until my son is a little older. I also rent my house now and live in the apartment downstairs. I was told I couldn't have kids so I considered adoption a lot! I'd love to hear stories of people who have also.

>>16617093
This is me ^^
>>
>>16617093
I think is the woman's perspective of having a child
>>
>>16617063
It's not really a matter of "choosing". Some people simply do not feel the need to be a parent. Making anything more out of that makes nobody look good, either the people who act like it's the best "decision" they could've made, or the people who condemn them over it.
>>
>>16617199
Read this
>>16617093
Those people who choose not to have kids know nothing.
>>
>>16617193
I don't know. I mean yeah I'm a woman. But my dad has 6 kids and absolutely loves being a dad. He even loves being a grandad. He works his butt off so we all have everything we could possibly want and never ever complains. He gets the biggest goofiest smile when my son jokes around with him or tells him how much he loves him. And my dad is my best friend, I know he's most proud of being a dad over anything else. If he's not working he's with our family all the time. His personal time is watching football with me. I think it's more of a person to person thing that's built in. You either have that desire to be a parent or you don't. And of course nature vs nurture! If a guy doesn't have that opportunity to bond with their child early on or neglects that opportunity they absolutely don't have that same feeling as the mother would from carrying the child. That being said there are still mothers that don't feel that connection.

Tldr I have the worlds best dad
>>
>>16617063
Not wanting a crazy asshole makes my dating pool smaller, too. Being discerning makes my dating pool smaller. Not wanting kids also makes my dating pool smaller. Still not going to "open myself up to the possibilities (of herpes, psychos, and kids).
It's almost like I can't choose to help raise siblings, friends, or other kids. It's almost like I can't participate in Big Sister/Big Brother or volunteering or run a fucking daycare if I feel like it. It's almost like I can interact with kids and not have any.
My genes are shit. Charities can take my assets. Maybe a charity that does stuff for kids...
HAHAHAHA, as someone that has worked in the caregiving field and now as a tax accountant, do you know how many people have SHITTY KIDS that don't give a fuck? And sometimes they do give a fuck, but live 1,000 miles away? You want an ideal situation where your child is a good caregiver, and I'm going to give you a 1 in 10 chance of that happening.
Maybe all those kids I've helped raise or volunteered for, the hot bitches at the retirement home I was fucking, people at my community center, younger family members not directly from me, and the charity that I'm donating all my assets to. You only die old and alone if you were an alcoholic sadsack or you did nothing but dote on your kids that are part of the 9 out of 10 shitstains.
>>
>>16617214
>choose
There's that word again. Have you even read that last line in the post you referenced?
>>
>>16617199
I'm with you! I wouldn't condem someone for not wanting to be a parent I'd respect their courage to say so and make that decision rather than bringing a child into the world that's not really wanted.
>>
>>16617220
Yes I did.
>>
>>16617093
>I mean you don't even know you're capable of loving someone so much.
It's always people that want to be parents that act like this. They know they won't be able to be selfish fucknuggets after they pop out a couple kids, so they just go on about their lives as self-absorbed as they can be until they pop out their life-changing miracles. Sometimes, when you don't have to wait to have children to change your ways, you realize the importance of respect, appreciation, love, sharing, and kindness without having to be forced into it. If you're happy, that's great, but don't assume other people are unhappy or less fulfilled because you decided children were going to be your life accomplishment and set your emotions around that event.

>And the way they look at you like you're absolutely perfect and just love you more than anyone else in the world.
Can't wait till your kid's age reaches double digits.
>>
>>16617233
Or maybe we weren't shit people that are putting on an act.

Just because you have a cynical view of the world and people doesn't mean we all do. And if you read my post I never said people were unhappy for not having children. In fact I said in my original post and in a second one that I respect people that make the choice to not have children.
>>
>>16617233
I'm 28 and still absolutely love my dad. He's my best friend and I still think he's perfect lol.

What age am I supposed to stop loving him this much? I don't really see it happening. Sorry to disappoint.
>>
>>16617274
Typically between the ages of 14 and 19. Most people start loving their parents again around 20-21 though.
In other words, teenagers are shits.
>>
>>16617288
Well then he'll come back around :)
>>
>>16617063
Some people have genetic dispositions that make it hard morally hard for them to have kids.
>>
There are reasons to have a child and reasons not to.

Children are fuck all expensive, and most young people don't realize you don't get to dictate the way they turn out. Yeah, parents are a big factor, but they're not a blank slate and some children are just way more difficult than others. Not to mention they could be physically or mentally impaired and require extra money and care that way.
They also take a toll on your relationship. It takes more effort to look at each other as lovers as well if you are co-parents in everyday life. There's less time for each other and disagreement about parenting styles etc can be a huge source of stress and conflict.
Furthermore, you can live your life in ways that are near impossible with children. Traveling the world with kids is technically possible, but pretty fucking selfish because they require stability, and uprooting them all the time will damage their social skills and alienate them from peers who had completely different (and similar to one another) childhoods. If you want to have a big prestigious career, travel for decades or live a luxurious life you can just barely afford as is, having children majorly shits on that.
And part of it is image, thinking that people with kids lose their identity and become dads and moms in frumpy clothes with excess weight. Who can't talk about anything other than how the little shit is doing, and don't have time to invest in personal growth anymore so they're boring.
That and not all people are equally patient, nurturing and oriented towards kids. Pretty important feats to somewhat naturally make a good parent. Everyone has to learn things, but some have a headstart.
Less personal reasons can be that you feel that there are too many people already, and/or that you don't want to pass on your genes (because you are predisposed to mental illness, for example). Or you are afraid to turn into your parents, who gave you a horrible childhood.
>>
>>16617329
On the flip side, the love of a parent for a child truly is unique. You are not just bound my flesh and blood, but have brought them into the world. There are always freak cases, but for by far most parents this love is not necessarily more fulfilling or happier, but more unconditional than any other kind of loving relationship in their life.
Having children also enables you to relive your own youth and rediscover the world through their eyes. To them, many things adults are completely used to are fascinating and weird, and being around them enables you to glimpse that different perspective and how the world looks when you're still getting to know it. They also place you in the middle of the timeline so to speak: you will, at least at times, look differently at your own parents now that you know the kind of worries and responsibility and joy that comes with parenthood. You get to (try to) spread whatever lessons you learned from life or perspectives you deem valuable, and part of you, not just biologically by the imprint on another human being, is left after you die.
>>
>>16617063
>>You are making your dating pool smaller - most people want kids

I already know this feel. I didn't choose to not like kids. I just absolutely don't like any aspect of children at all. So I'll make up for it by being as hot as possible. Not much else I can do.

>yolo

I do plenty of things I enjoy. Why should I force myself to do something I dislike by your own argument?

>pass on genes

My other family members have already done this.

>when old

I'll be in decent enough shape through diet, exercise, and taking care of myself. If necessary I'll hire a nurse.

>pay respect to you when dead

I'll be dead, I will give no fucks about it.
>>
Yeah, but I can't force myself to want kids and I wouldn't want to deny anyone that wants them the chance.
You can only have so many experiences in life. Children are an experience I'd be ok with missing out on.
Shitty genes, overpopulation, etc.
As someone that's had to look after their nan, and know people that have looked after a parent, I wouldn't want to put that on my kids anyway. In-home care and retirement villages are a thing.
My friends and other family members. If they stop going after a few years, that's fine -- I'd still probably only get a maximum of 2 generations of visits if I managed to have a close relationship with my kids and grandkids.
>>
>>16617063
they are a huge responsibility/burden/money drain
i dont care about my genes. it's inconsequential
i dislike caretaking
i do like being alone
i want to travel more
my life is about me. i have no intentions of devoting it to a snotty infant who will drain my wallet dry
i want to retire comfortably
if i have kids, no more fukkytime in the kitchen
cant walk around naked anymore
i think id get too frustrated and stressed out from having to meet its needs every fucking second, thereby detracting quality from my life as well as it's
if i share my life with a man, i want him to be my partner. kids take away from that. they do. they take up a huge, huge amount of time, and an even bigger amount of privacy. id rather be able to snuggle, sleep, read, and relax with my bf on sundays than have to feed the little niggers and take them shopping or whatever, listen to them babble, etc.
>>
>>16617093
That's implying a girl would actually have sex with Pegasus
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.