[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /adv/ I need some advice on my education. I am 18 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: i0poLCS.jpg (96 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
i0poLCS.jpg
96 KB, 640x960
Hey, /adv/ I need some advice on my education.

I am 18 years old and currently in the process of applying to colleges.

So far I am mainly considering Ivy Leagues, and other highly regarded colleges in the US.

While my test scores & GPA are up to scratch, I'm worried that the rest of my application might bring me down, as I have very little extra-curricular items that I could include in my application - no charity work, and very little work experience ( a few weeks in a law firm, and a few weeks in an accounting firm ).

On top of all that, I am not even certain about what I want to study yet.

For these reasons, I am considering taking a year off, to work on 'filling in the gaps' in my resume, and then applying next year.

Is this a good move? or should I simply bite the bullet, get my applications in this year, and then go to the best school I get an offer from, even if it's not my first choice.

Thanks.
>>
I'm not familiar with the US system, but can't you apply, and then if you don't get in the college you want, reapply next year after doing whatever?
>>
>>16616170
bumping just to add some additional info.

I'll be spending the time productively, i'm fine with time management, etc. and so won't be taking a year off just to slack off and not do anything.

I'm likely not going to be travelling at all, if I do take time out, and will be focusing more on gaining relevant work experience, in order to get a better grasp on what I might want to do as a major, and a career.

>>16616187
A lot of universities will offer the option of deferring your place for a year or two, but that is after actually receiving a place, as for applying multiple times, it's certainly something I could do, however, I think it'd be better to apply once, and make it a strong application, instead of potentially getting rejected the first time, and applying a year later, as I'm worried that it might hurt my chances of getting in.
>>
There is no reason to take a year off just for the purpose of going to a better university for your undergraduate.
Where you get your undergrad isn't going to matter, and it's really best to save money by going to a place that's affordable.
>>
>>16616204
>as I'm worried that it might hurt my chances of getting in
Do you have any factual data about them actually keeping track of such things? Sounds silly.
>>
>>16616214
While I understand that it isn't too important, both my parents attended Oxford or Cambridge, and are more concerned with me going to a reputable school, than they are with me getting a meaningful degree (and I can understand their reasoning), as for the cost, while it is something i'm definitely considering, I think that it's justifiable, and going to a good school is my main concern.

>>16616229
from what i've seen on websites of some of the schools i'll be applying to, they keep all your application info on record, and some even have a limit on the number of times that you can apply, I believe Harvard is one of them, which says that they no longer consider applicants after 3 unsuccessful applications.
>>
>>16616254
3 sounds like a good number where you can:
>submit 1
>take a year to do whatever, submit another
>go do some years in some other college, then submit another, and at that point if you get rejected may as well give up with that one

I don't know how actual college applications are graduated, but personally I would give almost 0 shits about extracurricular activities unless they are very related to the major.
>>
>>16616304
>but personally I would give almost 0 shits about extracurricular activities unless they are very related to the major.
I agree completely, and granted, they mainly consider the scholastic criteria, they also want to see the whole picture, and know about what you do outside of your studies.

Only problem is that while I easily meet the educational requirements, so does literally everyone else who applies, and so they'll want to find students who will 'fit in' with their school ethos, etc.

i'll most likely apply this year, and see how it goes, then if need be, take a year off and apply next year, or just defer my place and take a year out to decide what I want to study.
>>
>>16616304
>personally I would give almost 0 shits about extracurricular activities unless they are very related to the major
They show that someone is well rounded, and knows how to balance their life. Basically, it's a way of assessing whether that person is someone that they would be proud to say attends their. If you can't see the value of extracurricular activities, I really don't know what to tell you
>>
Kik me 1998_Girl
>>
>>16616355
>If you can't see the value of extracurricular activities, I really don't know what to tell you
I'm a STEM graduate, all I want is results and organization. And a minimum of not being an asshole unless you're absolutely brilliant. A lot of great science has been conducted on morally dubious grounds.
>>
>>16616380
OP here.
It's a pretty silly requirement, looking at it objectively, as you'd think they'd take students based solely upon their test scores, however, it's simply another pseudo-requirement that colleges will ask for, and so it's just another box that has to be checked.

It's understandable why colleges do it though. It's hard to base your entire admissions process solely off of their grades, as there could be many factors that could explain why the student performed in that way. Also, in most cases, showing the college the bigger picture improves the student's chances of admission.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.