[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dogs are Scary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: fearitself.jpg (163 KB, 456x500) Image search: [Google]
fearitself.jpg
163 KB, 456x500
I have been working part-time as a groundskeeper for a beachside estate these past few months. The work is easy, I can pick my own hours, and the boss is very friendly.

There is just one problem: the neighbor's monstrous black pitbull.
The boss usually stays at one of his other properties and while he is away, that beast of a dog wanders over to the estate.

I have already told the boss about the dog and he said he would speak to the neighbor.
However, these last few days, the dog has been wandering over again. This is unsurprising as there are no fences or barriers whatsoever.

Whenever the dog comes over, it barks like crazy at me, to which I flee and hide on the beach, shovel in hand. It has never pursued me onto the beach and it eventually goes away.

I do not want to nag the boss again, what should I do? I have no experience with dogs.
>>
>>16614586
Well if the dog doesn't come after you when you go to the beach, it doesn't seem to want to attack you. It sounds like that since there aren't any fences or barriers around, that it might just happen to think your property is its territory. Maybe try telling your neighbor again, and if that doesn't work and you really feel like the dog is gonna attack you one day, or it actually does attack you one day, carry some pepper spray or something. I dunno.
>>
In this situation a good stout stick is your best friend. Pepper spray is your buddy who occasionally pitches in. Nothing else required. If the dog attacks you then you hit the fucker and possibly spray it. Anybody gives you trouble for it, like the neighbor or the home owner you bring up the possibility of a lawsuit against one or both of them for endangerment and negligence.

Bam. I just solved your problem.
>>
I really don't understand a fear of dogs. Have you people just never been around them or what? He's just checking you out, he's not going to rip your throat out. Bring a tennis ball or some shit. Then you have a new dog friend and you don't look like a huge fucking pussy.
>>
The easiest way to tackle this problem is become the dogs friend.

Bring some beef jerky with you.
Show him the jerky and gently toss it near him.

Try some basic dog treats or ones that you can put some peanut butter in.

The more you feed him and be nice to him, the quicker you/he won't be bothered.
>>
>>16614667
>if the dog doesn't come after you when you go to the beach, it doesn't seem to want to attack you. It sounds like that since there aren't any fences or barriers around, that it might just happen to think your property is its territory.

Pretty much this. Do you turn and actually break into a run when you see the dog or do you just calmly walk away? If you've been running, then that is probably a well behaved dog for not chasing after. It's hard for a dog to resist running after something that runs from them. Even if you're just walking, the dog is sending you a message that it doesn't actually want to engage in anything with you by not pursuing. The barking can mean lots of things and isn't necessarily a sign of aggression, though it's always good to be cautious.

I think you have two good options.

You could try getting over your fear and making friends with the dog. The way to start that is by approaching the dog's owner and asking if it's okay for you to touch/give treats/play with/generally socialize with the dog. Never interact with a strange dog more than necessary without the owner's permission, even if they've let it roam onto your property. Ideally you should have the owner introduce you to the dog so he can learn you're a friend.

Or I guess you could try shooing the dog. Have you yelled at it? It might just go away if you raise your voice to it.

Either way I think you should go talk to the neighbor yourself and explain you're unexperienced with dogs and uncomfortable. Worst case scenario, they'll be offended anyone could assume their precious angel is anything less than a perfect joy to be around and insist he'd never hurt a fly, then try to prove it. But probably they'll respect your feelings and try to work something out.

I recommend going over to /an/ and asking them to teach you some dog body language so you can get a better idea of what the dog's behavior means.
>>
>>16614945

That's actually a bad idea because then the dog will associate people with treats and will run into dangerous situations or become aggressive if people don't give out treats. Postal workers are told to not give treats to dogs for this reason.

The best thing to do is carry a big stick and a solid item you don't mind being ripped apart, like an old bookbag. Ignore the dog, but don't run away from it or have your back turned to it. Most dogs will pass by if you ignore them as they see you're not a threat.

But there are some rare exceptions and that's why the bag exists. If the dog charges you, take the bag, put it between you and dog. Once dog takes bag, let it chew it up and run. This is where the stick cones along as well. If the dog is unsatisfied with the bag and wants you, you hit that thing as hard as humanly possible. Even though pitbulls can take a beating, they still won't like getting hit and will take off, especially if it's a "pitbull"(as in just a lookalike breed)
>>16614586
>>
>>16614997
>>16614586

Also I don't mean a stick as in a literal stick, I just mean a long sturdy weapon, like a pipe, bamboo stick or whatever.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.