[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CompSci job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: sd.jpg (41 KB, 635x310) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
41 KB, 635x310
I have a Computer Science degree, and I need to find a job. The problem is, most companies want web developers (I did this for a year before and didn't enjoy it). In order to get jobs like "C++ programmer", you seemingly need 5 or so years of prior experience.

What other jobs are there that don't involve web dev? Or should I just go full on academia and get a PhD?
>>
Full stack or go home. You're never going to catch up in experience to the guys maintaining legacy software.
>>
>>16614072
Get a gun, one bullet, load the gun, aim towards your head, and pull trigger.
>>
>>16614072
http://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=cf7163f48a45bfd6&from=serp
This is 1-2 years. Besides that, you might be able to get by if you have all the skills they're looking for. Knowing sombody who works in the business you're looking for is also a big plus, so don't neglect your networking skills. Saying you've helped one of their employees on a project is sure to impress recruiters.
>>
>>16614170
This looks good, thanks anon. I've come up with a plan of sorts: I'll suck it up for a year or two and take whatever I can get (including web dev), earn some money to support myself and do a masters (currently I only have a bachelors) in a more specific/interesting field, which I'll then use to give myself a slight advantage when applying for the sort of job you posted.
>>
Apply for the jobs even if you don't have five years, that can be overlooked with interesting college history, a favorite school of the recruiter, or just luck. Don't self limit, the app only takes an hour at most.
>>
programming is programming

getting a job that isn't web dev won't change by much imho
>>
>>16614072
There are tons of development jobs that aren't 100% web.

http://www.indeed.com/q-software-engineer-jobs.html
>>
>>16614072
>In order to get jobs like "C++ programmer", you seemingly need 5 or so years of prior experience.
just show them the projects you have worked on/contributed to on github
thats usually enough and counts as experience as well
>>
>>16614300
Just make sure it's the job you're aiming for and you're not studying to be over qualified for the position. Some jobs might offer on the job training in a similar field, so that could be your foot in the door.
>>
>>16614072

No. Just apply.
>>
Are you JUST starting out the search? Have some patience. All that graduated with me with comp sci nabbed a job in 3 months.
>>
Actually, on a second thought.

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing entirely.

Software development is not about languages, it's about developing systems.

Decide what you want to work with, then use the best tool for the job.

Learning a new language shouldn't be a problem for someone with an engineering or comp-sci degree.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.