[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good social hobbies that will force me to leave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: Otter300.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Otter300.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
What are some good social hobbies that will force me to leave my home and make friends. I'm 24, have a job that pays enough to support myself with little left over, and I'm not very good at competing (always picked last for sports because I'm naturally anti-talented at all of them).

I'm slowly becoming more and more bored with my life, and I just can't seem to find any hobby or activity that seems right for me.
>>
File: Formal.jpg (114 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Formal.jpg
114 KB, 600x400
Volunteer at the wildlife rehabilitation clinic.
>>
Board games.
>>
File: Smug otter.jpg (218 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Smug otter.jpg
218 KB, 800x534
>>16610740
That might be alright, but there's not a whole lot of wildlife where I live, and I feel like, while rewarding, that would also be kind of stressful. But I don't know, I'll look into that.

>>16610752
I have no one to play with.
>>
Speaking from my own experience:

Meetup.com is good for programming meetups.
learning a programming language is pretty much free and attending is usually a good social outing without too many obligations.

Music:
If you feel motivated to learn an instrument, joining a band is a lot of fun.
These days, you can learn to play a laptop with samples and join a band as the sound effects guy if learning an actual instrument is too much for you to start out with.

Book clubs:
Never had much luck with these, but reading is a pretty cheap hobby and book clubs could be a fun way to discuss a book.
>>
> that will force me to leave my home
skateboarding

>and make friends
check.

>I'm not very good at competing
non-issue

>I just can't seem to find any hobby or activity that seems right for me.

skateboarding has no rules. Do your thing.
>>
>>16610927
Op is 24, not 13
>>
File: billy.jpg (21 KB, 480x342) Image search: [Google]
billy.jpg
21 KB, 480x342
Make your own beer and wine.
Learn to shoot.
Woodworking.
Build shit.
Volunteer, like at Habitat for Humanity.
Bring a book to a bar. read/drink and meet people in between.
>>
File: Otter pile.jpg (693 KB, 1284x818) Image search: [Google]
Otter pile.jpg
693 KB, 1284x818
>>16610927
>>16610965
Yeah I kind of feel a bit too old for skateboarding. Everyone I see at skate parks around where I live look way younger than me.

>>16611005
I like the build shit idea, sounds expensive though. Learning to shoot sounds like it would also be fun, but I think my family would have an intervention if I bought a gun and they ever found out. Maybe a compromise with paintaball or something could work.

>>16610894
I briefly went through that site a little while ago. Didn't see a whole lot in my area that appealed to me, but I didn't really look very long. I'll give it another look.
>>
>>16610927
I'm a random anon but just a question; how do you actually ride a skateboard? When I got on them I feel incredibly unbalanced. No I had no one to teach me. Yes I was a child at the time. So I was offput by it and never returned to give skateboarding another go. Like how the fuck can you stay on it without falling off? And when you use one foot to propel yourself, how come you don't just fall over? I mean the skateboard has wheels.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.