[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watch collecting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 400x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 400x488
Hey fellow anons, I need some advice on how to get into watch collecting and the trades of watches.

Am fairly new to the watch trade but I understand some parts of the trade like the Swiss brands such as Rolex, Omega, and Patek Philippe being some of the top tier watches in the collection of watch enthusiasts; I also understand the difference between movements. But I still need more advice on which brands of watch to first buy into and any other tips and advice i can get from other, more experienced enthusiasts and collectors.

My budget is fairly small, around $500 atm since am still quite new and am not sure if watch collecting is for me. But like I said any stories, experiences and advice I can get will be amazing rather than going into this blind.
>>
Sheesh, OP, why not get into fountain pens and buggy whips, while you're at it?
>>
Invicta has some nice looking watches from a wide range of prices. With $500, you could get 1 or 5 if you'd like. I don't know much about watches. I know someone with a bunch of Invictas so I guess you could check them out to get started
>>
I hope you're doing this as a hobby and not a scheme to make money.
>>
File: uCJN9vU.jpg (892 KB, 3995x3126) Image search: [Google]
uCJN9vU.jpg
892 KB, 3995x3126
With a budget of $500 you would still be in the muddy waters of Fashion Watches and not even close to elite level of "watch trading".

You also need to find a buyer who is dumb enough to pay inflated prices.

Like for example I was looking at SEIKO 5 Sport and I already knew the value of the watch but asked the shopkeeper anyway.. and she pegged me as not knowing shit.. and double the price from $150 ( the correct average price)... to $300.

Now if I was a dumbfuck and paid for it, because I felt emotionally attached to the watch she would of scored big. Instead.. I laughed in her face and walked out.
How you get them emotionally vested: a good story, great specs, famous watches, heirlooms of famous people, etc. At $500, you would need to fool essentially, dumb college kids who like to blow through mommy and daddy's college fund money. I'd stick with Tag Heur.. till you can get to the next level and keep moving up.
Or you try and double dip.. buy watch from A and make sure you already got a buyer for profit on watch A... and its a clean wash.
>>
>>16610690
You should watch videos on yourtube or watch ebay to see values of the watches. Watch out you don't get taken advantage of. A lot of shady cons like to watch for suckers all the time.
>>
Watches should be treated as a social and professional tool, OP. The best move you will ever make is to meet a good counterfeiter in Hong Kong. If I ever want a Rolex, I can just call my dad's chinese friend and have a perfect clone of a $20,000 watch for a hundo, and he goes and picks it up for me next time [REDACTED FORTUNE 500 COMPANY] sends him to HK.

Watches, like all other attire, are tools used to advance oneself. Speaking and appearing as consummately professional as you possibly can will get you farther in life than anything else you can possibly do, and I have several prior positions to attest to this alone.

White privilege and systemic racism ARE REAL, and you CAN still use it to your advantage, if you're willing. Watches are integral to this.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.