[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What employment options are my best choices to enable travelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1449391037672.jpg (2 MB, 5076x2874) Image search: [Google]
1449391037672.jpg
2 MB, 5076x2874
What employment options are my best choices to enable travelling around the world? Is bar work reliable enough or are there other options not often thought about
>>
File: memes.jpg (85 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
85 KB, 400x240
I'm a teacher and living in the UK. Theoretically I could teach in most English speaking places with my qualifications. If I felt like it I could also teach English in Japan, China or Korea too. It really comes down to where you want to be and how you want to spend your time. Bar work is a solid way to do it though. Once you've got your foot in the door it's pretty easy to maintain employment elsewhere.
>>
>>16608801
Well English teaching was a prospect for me. Being from Australia it seems to be a common enough thing. How does it go being in one place for so long?
>>
>>16608806
Hey I'm from Melbourne. It's not bad so far. Came over in August and my visa lasts for two years.
I've got the job in one place for a year then I plan to emergency teach for the second year. Not so bad being in one place for so long, my class is full of characters so there's never a boring day. The planning and correcting is pure ass, something you don't have to deal with as an emergency teaching.

If it's any help I've had friends who taught English overseas and all speak about it glowingly, like as in 'life-changing' or at the very least unforgettable. It's something I would definitely recommend despite not having done it myself.
>>
>>16608774
>>>/trv/
>>
>>16608801
(not OP) Do you plan to teach in international schools? It seems tough to find a job in one if you are not white.
>>
>>16608837
How did you manage to find a job in the UK? I thought British employers prefer hiring EU citizens and I know that many European countries have an oversupply of teachers.
>>
Bar work isn't good for getting visas. You would most likely have to work illegally, and in some countries that will be next to impossible.
>>
>>16608868
he can get a working holiday visa, but working as a bartender in another countey in the long run is not sustainable
>>
High finance or tech? I'm working in Tokyo now in the intersection of these
>>
>>16608801
what kind of qualification would you need? Do you actually need a full on teaching degree or can you just get certified as a capable english teacher somewhere?
>>
>>16608774
i'm currently teaching english in south korea. there is SO much i could say about it. but....

overall it's ok. i needed a paycheck and a resume slapper. south korea is small and cheap enough to travel around, but things get bland here quicker. there is more beauty in other parts of asia and these countries are close enough to get to, but since asian education is so rigid, you can only really go overseas during the winter and summer breaks. i hate my situation because i got stuck in a small town and am stretched to 4 different schools. 2 suck and are stressful, 2 are better.

i've also come to realize that teaching is not really my thing. i get tired by having to stand in front of a group of people and speak and manage the room. i do want to keep working overseas, so next i am going to try to teach adults instead (hopefully more teaching and less classroom management).

another option i am looking into is doing some low-level IT work in some country. i only really have enough skill to work in a repair store, so pay might not be that great, but at least i'm overseas.

one misc thing i am considering and something you could look into is non-native language customer support. example: if you speak english, you could answer phones all day and resolve customer issues for companies. again, not glamorous, but at least it's overseas.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.