[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel at an odd place in life, Like everything I'm working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1383240921199.jpg (37 KB, 650x435) Image search: [Google]
1383240921199.jpg
37 KB, 650x435
I feel at an odd place in life, Like everything I'm working towards is in vain effort.

A significant choice in my life is that I do not use recreational drugs. I dont drink or smoke. I come from a family that has a long history of addiction problems. I saw my father die of a heart attack after a long night of heavy drinking when I was 10 and since then I had sworn to never get into the stuff or any other recreational drug. I take pride in breaking the cycle and working to leave a better legacy for my future children.

Sometimes I feel like whats the point though? in our society this shit is pushed so easily, people are so eager to just jump into it. and I'm the wet blanket for not following it. I am the only person I know that doesn't drink or smoke. I like all my friends and family but when that shit becomes the main topic I'm the alienated outsider. I thought going away to college, things would be different, but fuck, its just a booze and pot camp most of the time.

I could just start doing it but I think the grief of compromising myself like that would send me to a downward spiral that when mixed with a new habit, would only make it worse.

Can anyone else relate? what do you do in these times of doubt?
>>
I have similar values, I don't drink or smoke and plan to never do it.

I don't have a problem with other people doing it though. People don't really need to know if I drink or not, and when they do know they don't force me to do it.

Yes, you will be like an outsider for not doing what everyone else is doing. But atleast you are doing something that's good for yourself.
>>
No one cares if you don't drink or smoke unless you make it into a big deal or act like you're better than people who do. Your tone certainly does send the message that you think you're better than those who engage in recreational drugs, so it that's probably the root of your problem
>>
>I feel at an odd place in life, Like everything I'm working towards is in vain effort.

It seems to me that you even though you don't drink or smoke, you are making an effort not to. Is it because you are resisting the desire to try it? Or to because you don't fit in with other people?
>>
>>16607683
I dont put people down for their choice but it sucks when we all get together to hang out and then it just turns into everyone drinking and smoking and stuff. I tends to happen a lot back home and at college.
>>16607685
I think I just dislike feeling left out, I know the stuff is bad for me and most likely wont do me any good, but I think anyone can agree it sucks to be the outsider. and a lot of times I debate whether its even gonna be worth it? and then I think of all the reasons I dont do it and its like a constant internal struggle.
>>
>>16607701
>I dont put people down for their choice
Yes, but it may come across in your body language or otherwise non-verbally. You're not denying that you think you're better than them, so at least you're admitting that much
>it sucks when we all get together to hang out and then it just turns into everyone drinking and smoking and stuff.
I've never been in a situation where this has been a problem for people who don't do that shit, unless they make it so. I really do think you're the cause of your own problem here.
>>
>>16607701
>it just turns into everyone drinking and smoking and stuff.
nobody but you sees it that way.
>>
>>16607707
>>16607719
I know its just nitpicking in the end, and doesn't do much good to whine but I just wanted to talk it out, even if its just on an anonymous vietnamese noodle forum.

Maybe I need more things to do because I think my life may be stagnating a bit, since I can let something like this bother me so much.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.