[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else regret going to college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: true.jpg (33 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
true.jpg
33 KB, 460x460
I just turned 26 the other day and, after having a long hard look at my life to this point, I have to admit that going to college was probably the biggest mistake I've made to date. While I had a lot of fun in college, worked really hard, was involved in tons of extracurricular activities, learned a lot, had all sorts of honors and good grades, but I can't really justify the investment.

> In 2005, I 15 years old, living with my mom, making $350-$450 every two weeks working at McDonalds as a grill person.

> in 2015, I'm 26 years old, have almost 11 years of work experience, have the equivalent of 3 college degrees (from accredited state schools), an honorable military discharge, and I'm still living with my mom making $350 - $450 an hour. The only major difference is that I now have around $60,000 in debt.

When I share this information, a lot of people like to try find the "trump card" as to why I'm in this situation. You know, thinking that there must be some easy explanation as to how something seemingly so unlikely has happened (you just don't know how to apply for jobs, you don't know how to sell yourself, you must have a bad attitude, you must be ignoring jobs that you feel are beneath you like a typical millennial, you got the wrong degree, etc) but it's just not true - and I'm finding that it's also not that uncommon.

Right now I clean toilets at a hotel. None of my supervisors have a college degree. The people I work with at the low level all have at least one degree in everything from math to nuclear engineering.

If I could have done it all over again, I would have dropped out of high school, become an electrician, had enough money to live on my own, and then take college classes for enrichment between work hours.

So what does /adv/ think? Anybody else in the same boat?
>>
>>16600003
why the fuck did you go to college if it wasnt free
are you retarded
>>
>>16600004

Because college isn't free in America you fucking retard.
>>
>>16600007
it is if you deserved to go
>>
basically
wanted to go to big state school
parents sent me to small local school
picked shit degree instead of focusing on things I wanted to do...because I realized it was just going to fail because I had no support from my "loving parents"
>>
>>16600008

What the fuck are you talking about retard? The only way you get free college in the US is if you're fucking black.

Last time I checked, that had nothing to do with deserving anything.
>>
>>16600014
>im a fucking retard who cant make decisions for himself
>ill blame everything on my parents
>>
>>16600016

>had half of college done by the time i graduated high school
>got a ton paid for by college
>got more money from various scholarships
>literally paid to get my bachelors
>hurr college isnt free unless you're black
Fuck off, if you didn't take any of the many opportunities to have college be free then that's your fault and you shouldn't have gone.
>>
>>16600018
Its pretty hard to be on your own if you are 17-18 years old...You really should think before you express yourself..I mean look at you..30 years old and shitposting...what a shame.
>>
>>16600018

You clearly don't have a lot of perspective on going to college in the states.

His point wasn't "I'm just going to do what my parents tell me because I have no mind of my own" so much as his point was "college is expensive as fuck and my parents wouldn't pay for the school that would help me get a job afterwards because they (like you) don''t understand how higher education in the US works."
>>
File: 1450847440348.jpg (78 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1450847440348.jpg
78 KB, 550x550
>>16600016
you can't get college totally free unless you kicked ass in highschool.
even then, it's not a gurantee.
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>16600024
Basically this.
>>
>>16600022
But they were supporting you, you just complained because you didnt go to your top choice
>>
>>16600026
>you can't get college totally free unless you kicked ass in highschool.

Must suck for underachievers.
>>
>>16600026
is this the excuse you made? i was a pretty average high school student and still got it paid for
>>
>>16600021

Yeah I actually graduated high school early and wound up being accepted to John Hopkins when I was 13. The problem is that doesn't mean people will be tripping all over you to pay for it.

You really lack perspective and I'm getting the impression that you're either just shiposting or crawled out of a suburb somewhere and have this sheltered notion that hard work and smarts are all you need to succeed in this world.
>>
>>16600034

>you're wrong because i said so
all you need is to be able to make good decisions
my friend dropped out of highschool and got a ged as soon as he could, then went to a CC and eventually transfered to a maritime college
he was making tons of money with very little debt by the time everyone hit their sophomore year of college
>>
>>16600030
No I complaining because my folks have a history of ignoring my decision ..starting from H.S...when I had the chance to go to a good H.S and they made me put down the local choice(guaranteed acceptance) safe sure..but it was a SHITTTTYYYY school with sub 50 percent graduation rate.... my parents support me? IDK anon...
>>
>>16600034
Do you live in America? I really have to wonder how dumb you are. There are so many god damn ways to get your college paid for without even considering student loans that the only person I can imagine getting all of the college debt is someone who graduated high school with a 2.0 GPA exactly
>>
>>16600043

you are the most spoiled brat
>>
>>16600050
How is that spoiled?
>>
>>16600045

Please explain to me why most of the country has student loan debt, the average of which is $68,000, the aggregate of which is so high it surpasses national credit card debt.

If you think getting your college paid for here is easy when the average degree here costs almost $100,000 you're fucking dreaming or a really poor troll.
>>
>>16600052
>being mad your parents didn't send you to a ""good highschool""
>>
>>16600055
high school is free dumb ass..it wouldn't have cost them a dime...
>>
>>16600054

>why most of the country has student debt
because most of the country is stupid?
Are you seriously trying to use that as your argument?
most people also make around $40k a year anon
>>
>>16600055

You really fail to understand education in the United States, but I guess we'll let you keep posting here because it's funny.

> most people also make around $40k a year anon

Being this uneducated.

It's times like this when I'm thankful for my education because I see how ignorant people like you are. Supposedly your college was free but you don't even understand how to interpret an average.

Maybe we should stop feeding the troll.
>>
>>16600061
wow you're extremely pretentious
>>
>>16600043
Dude, i when to a getto as fuck school, easy as fuck, got freaking scholarships because of my class rank, you should had done the same
>>
>>16600061
>being this uneducated
What?
What's wrong with what he said? When you use statistics to try and support your argument it's okay, but when he does the same thing it's wrong?
>>
>>16600062

No, you just don't like to hear that your ignorance does not equal somebody else's knowledge, so you result to ad hom attacks.

The reality is that 40k is not representative of the American household income, nor is appealing to the average SES at all meaningful when that number is isolated from context, and you clearly have no idea how higher education in the US works.

But why am I even wasting your time talking to you since I'm such a retard and you obviously are the most intelligent person here.
>>
ITT; youre wrong because i say so and i am salty because i never thought of another way to pay for my college or really thought about why i should even go to college
>>
>>16600072
why are you projecting
i dont remember insulting you
>40k is not representative
wh-what
honestly you're just having an argument with yourself at this point because i dont see any of my points really being addressed and it feels like you're going off on a tangent
>>
>>16600069

I wasn't using a statistic, I was using a parameter.

He was using a statistic.

His claim that the average American household making 40k a year is inaccurate, adjusted, and has no bearing on his actual argument in the first place. His thinking is that "OH, well you guys make 40k a year, so that should mean you can afford $68k of college" doesn't account for any of that.
>>
>>16600075

I don't think you understand what projecting means, nor do you understand what pretentious means obviously since you don't think it's an insult.

And no, 40k is not representative of the average income in the US. It's a gross adjusted income and it's also an average.

Which, obviously, makes it unrepresentative.
>>
>>16600079
but thats not my thinking at all
when did i imply that
what in the world
this really is an argument of your own creation
i could stop posting and you'd find something to reply to and be pissed off at
>>
Care to rephrase your point then?
>>
>>16600061
>most people have $60k+ in debt
yes this is correct yes.
>most people make around $40k a year
NO THATS FUCKING WRONG THIS IS WRONG THIS IS UNADJUSTED FAKE STATISTIC THIS IS STUPID AND SO ARE YOU
>>
>>16600088

>>most people make around $40k a year
NO THATS FUCKING WRONG THIS IS WRONG THIS IS UNADJUSTED FAKE STATISTIC THIS IS STUPID AND SO ARE YOU

Are you disputing the fact that this is an inaccurate and misleading statistic or are you just mad about the way I said it?

The average wage in the US per person is more like $26,000 a year.
>>
>>16600054
You type like a fedora tipper dude
that you got in debt when you didn't need to and now are salty as hell
>>
>>16600094
>make around $26,000
wow so it supports my argument even more
>>
>>16600099

What is your argument then?

>You type like a fedora tipper dude

Not true.

>you got in debt when you didn't need to and now are salty as hell

Very true.
>>
>>16600054
>tries to use "but the majority" argument on 4chan
>4chan, the land of outliers
>>
>>16600099
also no it isn't. Most jobs start at like 35k-40k. BUT that just is in my area. I imagine its significantly lower in other parts also in other fields.
>>
>>16600103
my argument is and always has been that using the majority doesn't really work as they have probably earned 2.0 gpa and i am assuming 4chan and you have earned at least a 3.0
this doesn't even begin to address the fact that you had many many many opportunities to get your college paid for and chose not to take them for some reason, and then chose to go to college for some reason
>>
>>16600103
Most people go to college for no God damned reason, they got a bad GPA in highschool, get a bad GPA in college, and then have the nerve to complain about debt.
Most people have $68,000 in debt because they are idiots
Most people are idiots
>>
>>16600107

"The median wage in the US per person is $26,695 according to the US Census data."

If you really believe that "most jobs start at 35k - 40k, you really need a reality check.

>my argument is and always has been that using the majority doesn't really work as they have probably earned 2.0 gpa and i am assuming 4chan and you have earned at least a 3.0

Once again, all you're doing is proving my point that you know nothing about American higher education. Unless you're going to graduate school, nobody cares what your grades are. Employers almost never ask, and the only thing they care about is if you have the degree. So when there's a surplus of people with college degrees (over 68% of the American population goes off to some form of higher education at this point), the degrees are simply less valuable and they will be paid less for the same work. Your argument does not at all logically follow from your point, but you've just proven mine that everybody and their brother has a degree so finding jobs is rough.

>This doesn't even begin to address the fact that you had many many many opportunities to get your college paid for and chose not to take them for some reason, and then chose to go to college for some reason

This doesn't begin to address the fact that you're pulling this shit out of your ass and have absolutely zero evidence that college can just so easily be paid for.

Maybe this is news to you, but the way you get free college in the US is by being part of some minority group. If you're a fatherless boy, a first generation immigrant, black, or something like that there might be a chance - and even then it's not like those groups don't have fierce competition to get those scholarships. Most people don't get it paid for, and believing otherwise continues to show that you probably haven't even graduated high school yet or lived a very sheltered life where you're insulated from the economic reality of most people.
>>
>>16600139
thats not me dude
and most people i know got their college paid for
and they were white middle class, they just made good decisions in high school
again, i had half of college already done for free by the time i graduated high school, this caused a domino effect and got me a ton of scholarships and free money
most people don't get it paid for because they are most likely either too lazy or ignorant of the many opportunities they have
also most people just straight up dont care
using "most people" in an argument like this is useless as im not arguing that every single person gets free college, just that its much more obtainable than people think
>>
>>16600116
>Most people go to college for no God damned reason, they got a bad GPA in highschool, get a bad GPA in college, and then have the nerve to complain about debt.
>Most people have $68,000 in debt because they are idiots
>Most people are idiots

Again, thinking your GPA makes a difference in the job market is a big red flag that you don't have a degree because almost no employers even ask for it.

I don't dispute that most people go to college because they feel like they have to, but that's way different from saying they go for "no god damned reason."

>Most people have $68,000 in debt because they are idiots.

Maybe. Like I said, I regret going and feel like it was a stupid decision. At the time, everybody was saying go to college and my entire generation was led to believe by our parents, teachers, and community leaders that college is unequivocally a good idea. That doesn't justify the decision or make it any less bad, but I wouldn't say listening to your parents and teachers when you're 17 makes you stupid. It makes you impressionable, which is quite reasonable for a 17 year old.

Again, not justifying it.
>>
>>16600153
> thinking your GPA makes a difference in the job market is a big red flag
What on Earth did I say to imply that?
I feel for you man but this prolonged argument is pointless, it's obvious that you're more upset that you either didn't know or didn't take the chances you had presented to you for a free or cheap college and just want to try and dismiss and deny that these chances ever existed.
>>
>most people i know got their college paid for
and they were white middle class

It's almost as if going to a good high school puts you in a position to have access better educational opportunities. One might think that most public schools are funded by property taxes, so affluent suburban areas are streamlined into colleges while those of us poor folks are expected to go into trades and join the military en masse.

>What on Earth did I say to imply that?
>my argument is and always has been that using the majority doesn't really work as they have probably earned 2.0 gpa and i am assuming 4chan and you have earned at least a 3.0

>I feel for you man but this prolonged argument is pointless, it's obvious that you're more upset that you either didn't know or didn't take the chances you had presented to you for a free or cheap college and just want to try and dismiss and deny that these chances ever existed.

Which you still have provided absolutely zero evidence for other than "everybody who doesn't get their college paid for is just dumb."

Look, I don't think i'm going to convince anybody of anything here. It seems like you guys have your minds made up and, after all, this is 4chan. My original point was to see if I was alone in regretting my degree, but I forgot this was the internet - where everybody has a genius IQ, has a degree in statistics, makes a million-bajillion dollars a day, and their dick is at least 8.5 inches long.

I'm done arguing about it
>>
>>16600176
>going to a good highschool
but I didn't, our high school was kind of poor and could hardly afford to put events up, the teachers were terrible and usually we ended up teaching ourselves
money was completely mismanaged
>>
>>16600188

You really fucking lack perspective man. I'm really hoping for the sake of the country that you just haven't graduated high school yet.

If they're "middle class," the schools is going to provide you opportunities other schools don't have. That doesn't mean money won't be mismanaged or every teacher is going to be great, but what it does mean is colleges will recognize it as residing in an affluent area which means they'll be more inclined to accept you. Furthermore, your schools at least likely teach basic curriculum that isn't available in ghetto ass / poor country schools.

My school didn't even teach past Algebra II, and almost got shut down by the government when they had less than 69% of seniors graduate. Do you think there's tons of scholarship opportunities for that school? How the fuck is anybody from that school supposed to compete for entry to a college when they're 18 and don't even know what the FOIL method is?

Granted I was a really high achiever, taught myself a ton of stuff, and was already in state college with a 4.0 when I was 16, but that doesn't mean people are tripping all over each other to pay for my education. It's not like I just didn't write essays to the right scholarships and that's why I'm in debt.

You need to pull your head out of your ass, grow up, or in the very least show me all these opportunities for free college I've asked you over four times to show otherwise shut the fuck up.
>>
>>16600176
>>>my argument is and always has been that using the majority doesn't really work as they have probably earned 2.0 gpa and i am assuming 4chan and you have earned at least a 3.0

This is not me though. I never said these things to you.
>Which you still have provided absolutely zero evidence for
Have you read this thread? Have you read all of the people that have come in here and said their college was free or significantly cheaper than your debt?
What more evidence could you possible want?
>where everybody has a genius IQ, has a degree in statistics, makes a million-bajillion dollars a day, and their dick is at least 8.5 inches long.

This is just childish. Nobody is making the argument that they're some superhuman. This entire thing is about how even average high school students can get a good chunk of their college paid for or even a full ride if they put some effort into it.
If you really are as poor as you say then that should have worked in your favor, which means you had even more opportunities for a free education than >>16600151
>>
Not me, I have a GI Bill.
>>
>>16600207

>middle class means you go to a middle class school in a middle class suburb
also finding trouble answering the question of why you even went to a traditional college for a traditional degree
you could have gotten into a trade, you could have gone to maritime college and that'd be rad as fuck
you could stop comparing yourself to other people so much and stop being so salty all the time
>graduated early
>complains about his high school
>????
>graduated early
>still in debt
you just got fucked man plain and simple
colleges would have loved someone like you
if you're so poor you could have gone to a cc for 2 years...
>>
>>16600003
You've gotten fucked over by the growing inequality in the US.

Having an education isn't enough. Being smart isn't enough. You also have to know people and be willing to sacrifice your life for your corporate overlords.

Things are only going to get worse as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and good jobs get scarcer.
>>
>Have you read this thread? Have you read all of the people that have come in here and said their college was free or significantly cheaper than your debt?
What more evidence could you possible want?

Lol, thinking four people on 4chan (one of which said they were middle class) claiming their college was cheap / free constitutes evidence of anything.

> This entire thing is about how even average high school students can get a good chunk of their college paid for or even a full ride if they put some effort into it.

Which, once again, is not meaningfully demonstrated. If you're half as educated as you say you are, you'd realize (the very meager) anecdotal evidence afforded in this thread proves nothing. Your argument is also poorly written, inconsistent, rebounds off of several underdeveloped ideas, but ultimately boils down to "anyone can get their college paid for and you're just stupid if you don't agree with me."

I'm still waiting for evidence that there's all this money available to so many people as opposed to scholarships being a highly competitive process primarily reserved for people within certain minority groups that are streamlined to middle class students. I understand that your perspective is that this isn't so, but you've done the opposite of proving it or that you're a credible source of information on these topics.

> Not me, I have a GI Bill.

I also had the GI Bill, which was cut under president Obama in 2011 due to the sequester and I had to take out student loans in order to survive.

>You've gotten fucked over by the growing inequality in the US.

>Having an education isn't enough. Being smart isn't enough. You also have to know people and be willing to sacrifice your life for your corporate overlords.

>Things are only going to get worse as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and good jobs get scarcer.

Finally, somebody who fucking gets it.
>>
>>16600233

This. It is best to approach the current economy with a Survival mindset, these are savage times. We no longer have the luxury of trying to attain jobs that give prestige, your greatest ambition should be to simply survive
>>
>>16600003

I feel your pain. I went to college for six years and have almost $60,000 in student loans. I was working, sure, but not nearly enough to pay for tuition, housing, food, and an insane amount of medical bills. My prescription meds used to cost me nearly $400 a month :/ Thank god I have better insurance now.

After I graduated, I ended up working as a cashier because I couldn't use my degrees for tldr reasons.

So you're not alone anon. Be proud of your consistent work history, it speaks to a diligent character.
>>
>also finding trouble answering the question of why you even went to a traditional college for a traditional degree
you could have gotten into a trade, you could have gone to maritime college and that'd be rad as fuck

Yeah that was the whole point of the thread which you clearly missed.

>you could stop comparing yourself to other people so much and stop being so salty all the time

Yeah I'm pretty sure you don't know me personally and assuming that I'm "salty all the time" is fucking retarded on your part, but I shouldn't expect much from someone who failed to read the OP.

>graduated early
>complains about his high school
>????
>graduated early
>still in debt

You act like those things should not be mutually exclusive, further demonstrating your complete lack of insight on this topic.

>you just got fucked man plain and simple
>colleges would have loved someone like you
i>f you're so poor you could have gone to a cc for 2 years...

Honestly, the biggest thing I've learned from this thread is how myopic a lot of "successful" people are. To think that there's just so few of us who went to poor schools and graduated early that all could have our colleges paid for shows that you're really on the outside looking in. The amount of high achieving students competing for things like the Governor's schools or John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth is exponential, which is surprising (or apparently unbelievable) to so many of the posters here.

I guess it makes sense though because it's more reassuring to believe that your achievement is the result of you just being smarter than everyone around you and getting your college paid for as opposed to recognizing you've been streamlined into a series of privileges you may or may not have completely worked for.
>>
>>16600264

So you graduated early, went to a prestigious school you couldn't afford, and now want to blame society.
You're the one who made bad decisions man.
>>
>>16600239
>refuses to believe he had any chances at all
>just wants to conform to the idea that society is fucked and he never had a chance no matter how hard he worked
ughh
>>
>>16600264
My family had a total income of $17K a year
what the fuck is your excuse
Who the hell are you to tell me over and over
>you didnt work for it
>i never had the chance
>you're myopic you have no idea how hard i had it
You just want people to hug you and believe your sob story.
Truth is you had your chance, you didn't take them.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 460x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 460x342
>>16600003
>$350-$450 an hour
>still lives with mom
>>
>>16600003

I call bullshit on the math to nuclear engineering, sorry.

At the very least, they could get a teaching certificate and teach math. It's usually last resort, but much better than cleaning fucking toilets.
>>
>>16600233
>sacriface your life for your corporate overlords
Spoken like a true fedora tipper.

I have zero networking and I still made it out into the world with a nice 60+k salary and no debts.
Granted if I have networking, I might have achieved this goal years earlier.

The poibt is the world isn't at odds with you.
>>
>>16600285

In my state teaching certification takes nearly 2 years of credit hours and about $23K. I could get a substitute teacher certificate only, but that only pays 11.50 per hour.
>>
NO
YOU'RE WRONG
ITS
ME
AGAINST
THE RACIST FACISTS THAT ARE IN CHARGE OF THIS COUNTRY
ITS NOT FAIR
THAT MY MEDIOCRE PERFORMANCE AND LACK OF EFFORT
GOT ME INTO DEBT
ITS NOT
FUCKING
FAIR
I HAD NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO GO TO COLLEGE FOR A HIGH SALARY JOB
ITS BULLSHIT
ITS BULLSHIT
FUCK THIS CORRUPT SYSTEM
>>
>>16600003

I'm 25, and prior military. I did 1 semester of college and it was miserable. I dropped after that. Fuck that shit
>>
>>16600003
I will say things have changed in my field a bit dramatically, but I'm glad I went to college.

Could certainly be paid more, though.
>>
>>16600007
>American poorfag
>get 5.5k/semester financial aid from taxpayers
>tuition is only 3k/semester
Lmao
>>
>>16600268

It was a state school, retard. In fact, it was one of the least expensive.
>>
Just have to say that I'm really loving the fact so many people in this thread seem to believe sociology is a liberal conspiracy. For how much 4chan talks about being some total outlier of intelligent anti-neurotypicals, you guys seem to have no problem believing in the American dream, that we average 40k a year,that this is still the land of opportunity, or that it's anywhere near a fair system.

Let's be honest here, if you really believe this day in age that there's tons of opportunities in the US to have your college paid for or to get a great job if you just take advantage of opportunity or pull yourself up by your boot straps, you really need to put down "think and grow rich" and pick up a fucking textbook. When you look at the numbers and the way class is empirically validated at reciprocating itself, it's not really an opinion to see that wealthy people stay wealthy and poor people usually stay poor

You can call names and point out anecdotal evidence all you want, but it's already been proven mathematically to anybody who has had an honest look at the numbers.

4chan, I am disappoint.
>>
>>16600315
>ITS NOT FAIR
>THAT MY MEDIOCRE PERFORMANCE AND LACK OF EFFORT

>Went to poor school that was almost shut down by the government due to low achievement, poor performance, not teaching basic math, and crumbling infrastructure making the school not safe.

>teach myself algebra through calculus

>graduated high school early

>4.0 in state college at age 16

> joins military, gets honorable discharge

> Gets 3 degrees in three years.

Tell me more, faggot.

Just a note, while this thread turned into a shit-slinging contest about whether or not we should blame the poor for being poor, my original point (once again) was just to ask if anyone else regrets going to college. I never disputed it was a bad decision.
>>
>>16600413
Its physically impossible to pull yourself up by your bootstraps

Go away boomer
>>
>>16600003
Whenever people ask about college I say that they should pick a degree that leads to a job and in a field that they know that they will get a job. If they don't want to do that I tell them that they're free to take any degree they want but will typically be wasting their money. Most degrees aren't worth much, they just tell people that you have some validity behind your claims of being able to perform certain work. If you truly burn for something you can get that experience elsewhere and build a portfolio for most types of jobs without a degree.

TL;DR - If you need a degree for a job you want, take it. Else don't.
>>
>>16600285

Call "bullshit" all you want. Granted there's a higher rate of engineering majors who are employed as opposed to other majors, but some of you retards seem to be overly confident that a degree in the STEM field means you just automatically get a job.

Also, I don't see why you believe having a degree in engineering automatically means you'd be successful managing a class of kids.

Its also like a two - four year process to be a teacher. You not only have to pass the praxis and then get a certificate, but a lot of middle / high school teachers who are getting hired at this point need a masters just to be competitive with each other.

Even when that's all said and done, you still have to convince a group of teachers that your degree in nuclear engineering, praxis scores, and history cleaning toilets somehow qualifies you to teach kids and manage a classroom.

Once again, it's easy to sit back and scapegoat people for not succeeding instead of looking at how many over-educated underemployed people are in the US.
>>
>>16600452
>you need a masters to teach kids basic algebra and how to write

academia sure is retarded
>>
>>16600452
That isn't the fault of accredited universities. Your debt isn't their fault either. You knew the risk you were taking when you signed away 60k.
>>
>>16600460

> academia sure is retarded

Absolutely agree. From their perspective though, when there's a surplus of people with education all applying for the same jobs, why not pick the most educated to do it? It's stupid, but it speaks to my original point about how unrealistic is to to bank off of making a future off of having an education anymore.

> That isn't the fault of accredited universities. Your debt isn't their fault either. You knew the risk you were taking when you signed away 60k.

Sort of yes and sort of no. While the argument has been made for me by other anons, I don't remember ever coming out and saying it's my school's fault that I went to school. I don't blame anybody but myself for the fact that I went to college, which was the point of the OP.

As far as whether or not "I knew the risk I was taking" by taking my first college classes at age 13 and being a full student by 16, that's kind of a stretch. Even when I went back on the GI Bill, I was under the impression that there were jobs out there paying a living wage to people who had an education.

Do I think it was a bad decision? Absolutely - that's the point of the thread. Do I blame anybody but myself for it? No, I'm wholly responsible (regardless of what 4chan is strawmanning my point to be).

Do I believe I was making an informed decision? Absolutely not. Nor do I believe it's fair to scapegoat college grads and cry "just desserts" when you have people with multiple advanced degrees working entry level jobs.

Just sayin', whether or not 4chan believes it, if you come to the hotel I work at - you will be checked in by people making less than $14,000 with no benefits who all have multiple degrees (several of which got theirs in the STEM field), will be having your HVAC worked on by a guy who has an advanced degree in computers, and will have your toilets cleaned by me.

I'd get it if it was just me but it's a growing problem.
>>
I just turned 23 and just left the job I was working at for 4 years.
I loved having an income and being independent. I love having virtually no debt right now. But I didn't actually accomplish anything. The new job I start next week is actually at a slight pay cut than my previous office job. I make below the national average and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I haven't been exposed to any new ideas or industries in a while and I have no idea what I want to do long term. Applying for jobs without a degree is a pain in the ass. Everyone I hang out with is older than me, has a degree, makes more than me, and has their shit figured out.
Maybe it's just a grass is greener thing but I'm thinking about going to college in the fall. I don't see how I'm supposed to accomplish anything without a BA.
>>
>>16600003

Kind of like you anon.

Went to college, several degrees, volunteer work you name it. I however only held 3 jobs all under 7 months a piece, cause well college...

Going on my 7th year unemployed, living at home... Parents are pretty much "finally" in my view blaming me and not blaming the economy, schools etc. I feel its my fault, for going to college. I should have joined the military, and just stayed career.

Well you know what? i'm still young enough, I'm joining the Air Force and going to stay inn it career. I wasted so much effort on college for zero gain... No debt at least... No bills owed nothing... That's only plus inn this situation.
>>
>>16600524

OP here.

Getting a BA is probably one of the worst things you can do, in my opinion. Unless you can manage somehow get it paid for, but don't bank on the confidence of some neckbeard anons that it's super easy to do. It's highly competitive.

If you want to make money, go to a trade school and learn to do something that actually gives you a set of marketable skills. Learn to become an electrician (Which is probably what I'll end up doing) or learn how to weld. Underwater welders make like $33 an hour.

The older folks you know who have degrees got theirs back when it meant something. Nowadays, over 68% of the population goes off to get one, so it isn't as helpful as you'd think. Granted, having a degree helps you advance if you stay somewhere for a long time, but going to college will probably not help you get a job.

If the goal is to get ahead, go to tech school for a marketable skill.
>>
HERE LOOK HERE I HAVE AN OPINION I WANT QUESTIONED

So basically you all (as in everyone in this thread) didn't go to college and you're now making a better wage than someone who did get a college degree?

You all are annoying as fuck and are all uneducated spoiled basement dweller fucktwats.
>>
>>16600627

QFFT
>>
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science from a state university and no work full time as a software engineer at a mid sized company.

I'm paid below industry standard due to age discrimination but it's still been enough to pay the mortgage on my own home... in my mid 20s!

So no, I don't regret working for an education.

When I was a student I lived with my parents and commuted via public transport. I worked summer jobs and saved every expense I could. It was a very sad lifestyle but combined with state university tuition being pretty low (comparitively...) I managed to graduate with no debt.
>>
>>16600939

Not all of us could live with our parents.

I'm happy you made it though.
>>
>>16600016
I go to college free... Retard
it's called Grants you millitaryfag jackhole.
If you have college loans you arn't exploting the system well enough
>>
>>16600003
Does nobody realize this fucking nigger makes 450 an hour? That's 72 grand a month with a full time job. What kind of retarded nigger shit is this? Why are people even replying to this fuckhead? That's 864,000 dollars a month before taxes. What the fucking hell? Fuck you, OP.
>>
>>16601203
a year*
>>
>>16601203

Yeah that was a type $350 - 450 every two weeks.
>>
>>16601193

You need to die in a fire.
>>
>>16601211
You lie either way. There's no way you make 350-450 every two weeks with 11 years of work experience and the equivalent of 3 college degrees, m8.
>>
24 years old German here. 1,5 more years to go until I have my master's degree. I won't have any money in debt but still I'm kind of sick of being a student. Some of my friends with 21 have their own apartment, a car, can go to fancy restaurants, have high end PCs, travel around the world with their gfs, etc.

Until I finish university I'm probably going to be father soon as my girlfriend is already 26. No time to enjoy life. Shit.
>>
>>16600016
>The only way you get free college in the US is if you're fucking black.

Wow I wish I got the memo! Wouldn't have had to pay $200,000 if I could have gotten off paying $0 according to white anons on 4chan.
>>
>>16601360
4chan likes to pretend that black people have it easy in America but you're an idiot if you paid $200k for a degree. Did you get a masters at an out of state private school or something?
>>
File: medschool.jpg (64 KB, 885x250) Image search: [Google]
medschool.jpg
64 KB, 885x250
>>16601370
>pretend

Niggers gonna nig
>>
>>16600016
I went to College for free when I was 18, and I'm white. Granted I dropped out like a year later because I hate myself, my grandpa was dying of cancer, and my ex-girlfriend was calling me 'till 3am on school nights to chew me out for flirting with other girls, but still.
>>
>>16600026
I get paid $4000 each year to go to college, bro. I got dat poor people privilege. You feel me?
>>
>>16600627

I only did half a semster and then dropped out. But I'm making $25/hr now. I made $68,000 last year with OT.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.