[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do /adv/ threads contradict with each other?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: contradiction.png (426 KB, 1501x289) Image search: [Google]
contradiction.png
426 KB, 1501x289
For example
http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16554974/#16554974
contradicts with
>>16592872 and
>> 16596366
>>
>>16596399
I meant to quote that archived thread contradicts with >>16596366
>>
It seems like a lot of effort to try and follow this. Can you summarize what the hell it is you're on about please?
>>
>>16596439
I just think /adv/ is a hypocrite. Like in one thread, everyone was like "it is perfectly ok to pursue your interests" ans in another people are like "money matters and doing that is fucking stupid".
>>
File: 1342626806197.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1342626806197.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>16596441
Oh I see. Well, it's like we used to have a hivemind, and we all thought and spoke together as one. But then the Moot left, and we were shattered into all these "personalities" that like, had different ideas. like babylon I guess.

Anyway, that would explain the anomalous readings you've been getting.
>>
>>16596449
Who is more reliable then? Which thread has more "truthful" information?
>>
>>16596441
You're definitely somewhere on the autistic spectrum, you should get tested.
>>
>>16596455
This is /adv, meaning advice, not meaning 'everything everyone says is the absolute truth'. This is just what people think and you're supposed to make your own decisions in the end.
>>
File: 1345522910203.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1024) Image search: [Google]
1345522910203.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1024
Don't listen to these fools, they are part of the wrong advice givers faction. The truth is here, somewhere, you just have to learn to discern. Only by taking the true /adv/ though.
>>
>>16596458
How am I autistic?
>>
>>16596441
>Like in one thread, everyone was like "it is perfectly ok to pursue your interests" ans in another people are like "money matters and doing that is fucking stupid".
Or else the truth is more nuanced than either of the responses you've cited.

>>16596455
>Who is more reliable then? Which thread has more "truthful" information?
There is no "who" in this place. In fact, that's most of the point of this place. Your best bet is to read all of the threads on the topic that interests you, and synthesize your own answer from the things you read there.
>>
>>16596470
Diff anon but
You are completely missing the bigger picture and stuck/focusing abnormally much on this insignificant part that normal people dont care about, and you dont even realize it. Its not typical behavior
>>
>>16596472
So why does /adv/ blame people who do not listen to /adv/?
>>
>>16596485
What is the bigger picture? Why are people telling that OP that it is fine for people to pursue their passions as their careers and in another thread how OP should not teach ESL abroad
>>
>>16596491
Jesus dude this has already been explained multiple times and you really shouldnt care this much its not even important. Did you even read the earlier responses? Can you use your head for once and remember that adv is made up of multiple people. And people disagree.
>>
File: 1344260310278.jpg (955 KB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
1344260310278.jpg
955 KB, 3200x2400
>>16596485
That's because OP is not typical, even I understand that.

/adv/ is an advanced channel, but the schism that happened when the Moot took his soul ever darkens the chan. We're trapped here, just going through the motions, but really there's no heart in it anymore.

This will manifest as a mixed message, perhaps.
>>
>>16596491
Different people commenting on different threads, concerning people in different social and economic statuses on different dates. This is a nonproblem and you're either way too fixated on it or a troll.
>>
I don't understand you question.

Do you think /adv/ is on person? There are hundreds of thousands of people on here every day.
>>
>>16596510
>I don't understand you question.
*your
>>
>>16596510
>Do you think /adv/ is on person?
*one
>>
>>16596499
Hey I am that OP from the ESL thread. Since so few people are posting there, should I go for it or not?
>>
>>16596510
I know, but it is interesting how what people say in those threads aee TOTAL opposites
>>
this is bait
>>
wtf is this thread
>>
You're becoming one of the most annoying people on this board.

Different advice comes for different people in different situations. I haven't read the threads you're referencing, but I could give two completely different answers for similar questions depending on the circumstances. Age, experience, wealth, all factors.

We're not a hivemind, and we're not always going to answer the same, even down to the individual person.
>>
>>16596489
Because people are shit at taking advice which doesn't fit with their line of thought.

See fat people being told to exercise or eating healthy. I don't complain about people who decide that they want to be fat but when they want to lose weight and refuse to take the advice and still complain about their obesity they're fucking retarded pieces of shit. This is typically the type of people you speak of who get blamed. I see nothing wrong in blaming people who complain about their situation and do not seek to make it better, then complain more after getting advice on how to resolve their issues.

>>16596533
There's no contradiction. People see it as a risk and reward type of deal. When you have the decision between a lot of money or fulfilling your ambitions most will say the latter. When you spell out your ambitions people make their own analysis of the risk and reward and respond with what they infer from that. If it doesn't seem like a good idea many will say that a lot of money is more important than your ambitions.

This is why you have do decide for yourself if it's worth going for it - You can ask for advice and input but in the end your analysis is the one that you should use to decide, because nobody else can emulate the importance of your ambitions.
>>
>>16596828
Not OP, but is being an esl teacher really that shit?
>>
Jesus Christ, this guy again. OP, you seriously have some mental issues. You should try checking them out.
>>
autism
>>
>>16597368
/thread
>>
>>16596399
Because the way people word things have an effect on how other people answer.

I've been on /adv/ for years, and when it was too taboo to be a woman on /adv/ (even now it still is a little), I'd post any relationship question I had about my boyfriend but I'd switch our sexes , in the view that I was the boyfriend and my boyfriend was my girlfriend and I'd get much more helpful advice and less thread derailment.
>>
>>16597574
OP here. I suspected this too.
>>
Op's problem is assuming that everyone in the world has the same values of life and reality.

They don't. Everyone lives in their own unique reality, and every person has a reality bubble that overlaps with every other person.

Op must be 12 to not understand this. There is no ultimate truth, otherwise we would've solved it with perfect arguments thousands of years ago.
>>
In the words of Dale Carnegie, all of us want something. When we give to the red cross it is because we wanted something.
>>
everyone is different
>>
>>16596828
I agree with this. For example, for that esl thread the chances are that op will be more miserable if he pursues an esl job so people tell him not to do it
>>
>>16596876
It's not shit but not sustainable in the long run.
>>
>>16596399
OP is an idiot
>>
>>16599269
Your an op.
>>
>>16599140
English Second Language or E-Sports League?
>>
>>16596533
It all comes down to the fact that there are literally SO MANY people on /adv/, thus so many opinions, life experiences, perspectives, /adv/ice.

Obviously there will be clashing opinions and people giving different advice, that's the entire point. There can't be just one train of thought and just one type of advice.

More people = more different advice.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.