[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My cats have fleas and I can't afford to get them to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
My cats have fleas and I can't afford to get them to the vet for a week or two. They seem to be especially irritated my one cat and he's constantly scratching and the bites are getting irritated and worse. Are there any home remedies that will at least help them to feel better/scratch less until I get them treated? I put a little proxide on the bites. I don't want to put any cream on them because they'll just lick it off and get sick and it'll fuck up their fur. Is there a safe ratio of benadryl I can give them? If so how can I get them to eat it? They only eat dry food so it would be difficult to mix in
Pic related.
>>
Sell your possessions.
If you can't afford 50$ flea meds, rehome your cats.
>>
Aww, poor cats. Taking them to the vet? wouldn't just buying some product like frontline be enough?
You could try killing some of the fleas one by one, I used to do that with one of my cats (but, she was white)
>>
>>16587245
Contact shelter in your area. Maybe they can help and let you pay later
>>
Wash everything and vacuum over and over and over. If you have any cat shampoo wash them drown those suckers.
>>
>>16587254
I live with my dad currently and work very few hours since I'm a 19 yo full time student. I spent this entire paycheck on Christmas shit and my dad is being flaky about helping me out with the money. >>16587259
I remember flea meds being pretty expensive. We treated our dogs when I was younger and my patents were bitching about prices. I'll call tomorrow and see what the prices are I guess
>>
>>16587296
It's like $23 at rite aid for 3 treatments
>>
>>16587296
So you haven't even tried. You just assume you can't afford it.
You should return your dads xmas gift and spend the money on flea meds.
>>
>>16587260
I'll try that as well
>>16587272
Yeah I vacuumed and washed the blankets and stuff. I wanted to bathe them but i know you can't use most products on cats and the last thing I want is for them to be more irritated.
>>
>>16587307
Yeah that's why I said if you have cat shampoo.

Just stay on top of vacuuming and get them some treatment
>>
>>16587303
I mean I have four dollars in my account right now and I'm certain it costs more than that. Go be edgy and sarcastic somewhere else I'm not in the mood for pointless banter on 4chan
>>
File: 1409353350606.jpg (60 KB, 565x410) Image search: [Google]
1409353350606.jpg
60 KB, 565x410
I use 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per 1 gallon of water and feed them that over time. Apparently ACV makes them taste disgusting to fleas and they all jump ship. Its how I got rid of fleas on my ferret, and she has no fleas now. Interestingly enough, my mother uses advantage on her cats and has to reapply every month because she doesn't vacuum or brush them. I told her about the ACV, but she would rather dose her cats in drugs every month than try something 'from the internet'.

Basically, try the ACV, bathe your cats if you can, use a flea comb if you have one, and vacuum often to get rid of larva and eggs that may live in your carpet. Boom, free of fleas for free.
>>
>>16587318
>I'm not in the mood for pointless banter on 4chan
>Comes on 4chan(online banter machine)
>>
>>16587336
Okay so basically you just mix the ACV with a gallon of water and just replace that with their normal drinking water?
We actually have some for some reason so I'll definitely try that. Thanks
>>
>>16587354
I take it you don't leave /b/ or /r9k/ often?
>>
File: 1419211701953.jpg (16 KB, 331x288) Image search: [Google]
1419211701953.jpg
16 KB, 331x288
>>16587355

Precisely. Its also a good preventative measure, if you have enough ACV to always have a mix on hand. It may be tough to get them to take to it because of the taste so you can try mixing smaller amounts and work up to 3 tablespoons over time. Stay diligent on the vacuuming as fleas lay eggs and mature in about a week, so even if you kill them all they can be back again in no time. Also if you buy a flea collar you can chop it up and put it in your vacuum's bag to kill any larva inside. Otherwise the little bastards will just crawl back out. I don't recommend putting a flea collar on your pets because it contains chemicals that are harmful to the skin and can make your cats sick. Good luck anon, I hope your kitties feel better soon.
>>
>>16587359
>Implying shit boards don't spill over across all boards regardless
>>
Here's what I did when my cats had fleas:

Comb them every day. Get a flea comb, and get a bowl of soapy water to drown the fleas in when you comb them out.

Fleas hate citrus apparently. Get some orange rind and spritz and rub it on the cats.

Flea collars.

Vaccuum every day.

Get a shallow tin or plate and put soapy water in it and a lamp. Set it all up on the floor with the dish under the lamp. At night, turn out all the lights in the room except that one. Fleas are those kind of retarded insects that must go towards light. They hop across the room to the light and get trapped in the soap and can't hop back out.

I was determined to get rid of fleas without blasting poisons all over my house. I did all this shit and it worked in about a week or so.
>>
>>16587245
i have read diatomaceous earth works well. rub it in their fur but not their head
>>
>>16587318
Suck it up bitch.
Meanwhile your cats are suffering needlessly.
>>
>>16587450
This. Also, local Facebook pet groups. Just look up your town or county.
>>
>>16587450
Flea collars are useless at best and harmful at worst. They are notorious for poisoning cats and leaving a chemical burn.
>>
Thanks everyone. I'll give most of this stuff a try for sure
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.