[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be in Year 12, UK (duh) >Feeling depressed, unmotivated,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1442100969853.jpg (47 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1442100969853.jpg
47 KB, 500x491
>Be in Year 12, UK (duh)
>Feeling depressed, unmotivated, thoughts of suicide
>Feeling tired all the time, no motivation to complete school work
>Diagnosed with depression by doctor, suggests that I seek out a special assistance education plan (basically extra time on tests, or special support, 1:1 student teacher assistance)
>Go to the director of the program, they agree and begin processing a case
>Have to sign off with a counsellor
>Go into counsellor's office, he's this 6'6 military scary ass dude
>Questioned as if I'm being detained
>Explain my situation, show him the diagnoses
>Counsellor tells me to just "try to work harder"
You don't know how much it pisses me off to hear "just work harder" when you sleep 8-10 a night yet feel 24/7 as if you've slept only 30 minutes.
>Says "There's nothing this program can do for you"
>Explain that both the director, and the doctor (who has his child in the program) said it could benefit me
>Counsellor thinks I'm lying
>Counsellor assumes that "it's just that the classes are hard"
>Counsellor declines the request, and wants to follow up to see "how I'm doing"

I just want this assistance so that I can someone who can (figuratively) kick my ass and kinda push me / check in periodically to make sure I'm progressing in the work. The teacher can't do that because it's a class of 35~

What can I do or say to better strengthen my case for the next time should I re-apply?
>>
File a lawsuit or send a complaint to the court against him/his company
>>
You should've made a big stink about it, honestly.

Just because the guy is big doesn't mean he'll beat you up or anything by standing up to him. You know your emotions better than anyone else, you need to tell him that trying your best right now is getting out of bed in the morning and that this extra assistance is pretty vital for you to pass your classes.

Also, you were formally diagnosed. This isn't just a "you aren't trying hard enough" situation. I don't think he has the right to say that and it's not in his power to decide the degree of your depression and how it's affecting you.

He's being unprofessional.
I know this struggle because my depression came down hard on me this semester. I'm actually planning to get formally diagnosed so I can get assistance and not get points deducted for handing something in a day late.

OP, you know your limitations. You shouldn't have to convince anyone that you're too depressed to finish an assignment when it's already been proven.
>>
>>16570222

>wahhhh im sad so i need extra time on tests, special support and 1:1 teacher assistance. cuz all those actually matter when im fucking sad
>HOW DARE HE PUSH ME TO DO A GOOD JOB, I WANT HIM TO PERSONALLY SEE TO IT THAT I DO

dude.

>BUT MUH DOCTOR DIAGNOSED ME

a diagnosis for depression means literally nothing. imagine if ur doctor took a look at you and said 'yep, its cancer' without any tests.
>>
>>16570410

kek, inb4 they motivate OP to sue and then all the cameras roll in on him

>THIS IS BONGLY WONGLINGTON AND YOU'VE JUST BEEN UNDEPRESSED!!! THE COUNSELLOR IS ACTUALLY AN ACTOR WHO GOT PAID TO DENY YOUR REQUEST! THIS IS A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT TO PROVE THAT DENIAL OF SERVICES GETS DEPRESSED PEOPLE MOTIVATED! HOW DO YOU FEEL? LET ME GUESS? MOTIVATED? AHAHA! *fake claps and laugh effects*
>tfw OP becomes the next living meme
>tfw he becomes really depressed and commits sudoku as a result
>>
>>16570468
>>
File: 1442677365242.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1442677365242.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
>>16570468
>>
>>16570468
11 year old edgelord com4med
>>
Looking for advice on how to pursue this case.
>>
>>16570901
see >>16570452
just stand up for yourself honestly
>>
>>16570913
I don't know, whenever I speak to him it's like I'm being interrogated by the cops.

I've spoken to several other staff and I'm really comfortable with them but it's this one guy who I can't just speak properly with.

Do you believe that I require any of these special assistance programs? I didn't push it onto the director or the doctor, I brought it up and they insisted that I pursue it.
>>
>>16570913
I mean just saying "because I'm depressed" isn't going to help my case when they need to do paperwork to place me into the program.

They need literal reasons, and even though I've given them legitimate reasons, he passes them off.

What can I physically say, or add on, that can help me?
>>
>>16570937
that IS a legitimate reason though. You have to tell him that he can't write you off because he doesn't believe in your depression.
Make a fit, be emotional, tell him he's an unprofessional dickhead
If you're struggling to finish your assignments on time because you're depressed, you need assistance. That's it. That should be the end of it, fuck whatever that counselor says
>>
>>16570966
Thank you
>>
>>16570966
Sorry, one more thing.

He asks me "What do you expect out of this program"

I told him about the kick in the ass, 1:1 kind of thing and he just said "It's not 1:1"

I told him "There are like 10 people at any given time and 6 educators, that's pretty close"

I'm honestly certain that he just doesn't want to do any of the paperwork that comes with it.
>>
>>16571027
Is there anything else I should expect from this program? I mean I just want someone to be there and push me forward.

I don't want to come off as "oh it's just senioritis you're a lazy cunt" I've been having these feelings since atleast Year 10, and I've lost interest in doing many things, including playing video games
>>
>>16571030
along with the extra time, you might want to get a tutor to help you with your assignments.
from this program you should expect how to understand your depression and somehow integrate it into your working life, and that takes time.
>>
>>16570222

6-8 hours is all you need. 9 hours is alright, but I know from experience that 10 hours makes you more tired.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.