[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-5336837445887235348.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5336837445887235348.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2392
Well, my grades came in and I just found out I failed college(3rd semester) my parents hate me and I'm 30,000 in debt. I could scrape together everything and beg to be put back at school, or I could take a different route. What should I do?
The only thing keeping me from killing myself is the fact that I have a girlfriend at college, and I don't want to leave her. Should I go back? Or go to a different college? I'm at a crossroads and every direction is bad.
>>
>>16567230
Sounds like the war's lost, OP. Time to surrender. Beg for more tuition from your parents and promise absolute contingency on your success. If they say yes, great. Don't fuck up this time, you have a second chance. If they don't, it's time to an hero on cam.
>>
But that's the problem, they won't fund me, they stopped second semester, and I had to get my grandfather to cosign. I know I can do it, I just need everyone else to see it.
>>
Win the lottery maybe?
>>
>>16567287
Financial aid?
>>
>>16567230
What is your fin-aid situation?
What kinda school/program are you going to?
>>
>>16567287
Try talking to your mom alone. Mons are typically more supportive of whatever their children do.

Be as polite as you can, and attempt to give her some kind of guarantee.

Which class did you fail? If it is a GE, and you are going to a graduate school, just retake it, and it should not matter that much, if at all.
>>
>>16567230
Professor writing here

You haven't given enough information for more than general advice, but here's some.

It is not normal to be expelled for one bad semester. You probably were already on probation for past failures. If that's the case, you do want to give serious thought whether college is for you. (That's not a judgment - perfectly fine and intelligent people may function best in non-academic settings.)

As you suggest, if it was your first failing term, you can probably beg your way back in, on probation.

In any case, don't burn bridges behind you. If, for example, you were to take some time out and work for a year, you might get your act together and be ready to do well. Do what you can to leave the door open to you.
>>
>>16568338
No, it isn't my first smester failing, it's my third. I swore I was in line this smester though. I don't know, What I did wrong. I've considered going to CC for a semester to get my shit together, and then go back...
>>
>>16568512
Clearly you're doing something wrong. Why are your grades so low?
>>
>>16567230
So you
A) failed and
B) have $30k in debt?
GTFO. You don't belong there. You just racked up the equivalent of a year of median income for, frankly, nothing.
Get a trade. Switch to a tech college and get certified as a commercial driver or a welder or something and start earning some money. Some cash and some life experience will make a huge change.
>>
>>16568579
Are you kidding?
Of all freshmen that start at 4 year degree schools less than 60% graduate within 6 years. While colleges are loathe to discuss why a large percentage of them are failing out.
I would assume that 1 in 5 incoming freshmen fail out of college, one way or another.
>>
I don't understand why anyone would still go to college after knowing they'd be in possible debt. I've never been in any debt and if I get even a tiny shred of it I'll try to get rid of it by all means possible. I feel like it's natural to be that cautious but I know it's just me.
>>
>>16568605
Statistics are negligible when there are freshmen making it through as well. Anybody can do college. The people that fuck up are typically withheld by shit hobbies like video games or partying every weekend.
>>
>>16568579
Because first semester I screwed off, and played videogames all semester. Second semester I was dealing with a falling out with my mom at the same time I was trying to get in the swing of things and 3rd semester? I have no clue, I actually did work and didn't screw off. I don't know anymore...
>>
>>16568622
I don't party or do drugs, and I've cut back on games a lot. Like 60 hours tops last semester lot, compared to 200+ last two semesters.
>>
>>16568622
>Statistics are negligible when there are freshmen making it through as well.
This makes no sense. 41% of incoming Freshmen never graduating means that 2 out of 5 *won't finish*.
Let me repeat that - Of every 5 freshmen, only 3 will graduate, and typically not in 4 years. That cannot be negligible.
>Anybody can do college.
Then why do colleges have requirements like a diploma or Home School transcript and test scores from the ACT or similar?
Why is it that ACT/SAT scores are such excellent predictors of graduation if 'anyone can do it'?
>The people that fuck up are typically withheld by shit hobbies like video games or partying every weekend.
[citation needed]
Seriously?
So all those kids in tutoring, and visiting the prof during hours, and studying hard and still failing just - don't exist?
>>
>>16568643
I didn't mean to come off as condescending. I'm just pretty jaded after doing the whole community college thing for six years and then transferring.

I had a shit high school GPA and as a result I got stuck at a shit CC failing classes constantly until realizing I needed to actually do work. That's why it's difficult for me to understand how someone with the work ethic to get into a 4 year school straight out of hs can't handle at least getting C's. No offense intended at OP.
>>
>>16568656
I do though, I usually get high grades once I get the concept, I just don't get calc, and statics? I tried studying the day of the quizzes, other than that I got a C-, and a B-.
>>
>>16568606
Not even for a car loan? Debt is how this economy works. It takes money to make money.
>>
>>16568338

I'm an Economics major and 3 years in. I have a 3.2 GPA, but... 7 withdraws. Yep, 7. 3 of those are in the same class; Calculus. I just fucking suck at Calc, and math in general.

What would you say to someone like me? Is college for me, or no?
>>
>>16568718
You're saying if I'm in the process of paying off a car I'm in debt?

Sheeeiiitttt I didn't think of it like that
>>
>>16568723
How did you maintain good acedemic standing with that many drops? I mean don't you need a certain credit hour total?
>>
>>16568929
>>16568929

Half of them were at a CC first.

Otherwise, I have 4 more W's total before it's a problem at my current institution.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.