[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SHOPLIFTING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: shoplifting_charges.jpg (14 KB, 203x300) Image search: [Google]
shoplifting_charges.jpg
14 KB, 203x300
Before you read, yes, I know shoplifting is wrong, I have decided to NEVER do it again I have learned my lesson.

Okay so, I just went to whole foods to get some groceries. I usually steal things like protein powder and oils and cosmetics with an older bag and then just walk out of the store.

This time, a manager watched me put the things in the bag, and walk OUTSIDE of the store towards my car. He then confronted me and I told him that he can't stop me outside of the store but felt like a dick so I handed the bag over but he still wouldn't leave. He kept following me and I realized I couldn't get into my car because then he could easily catch my plates. He then phoned for the cops and started describing me.

I booked it and started running. I ran as fast as I could towards the train tracks and up into some neighborhood. As I ran I heard him say on the phone, "he's now fleeing towards the railroad tracks". I hid in some backyard of a house and witnessed police officers walking around with flashlights trying to find me! I kept silent and at one point I think one officer may have spotted me and I ran further and hid longer. I then took a detour and made it back into the parking lot because my car was still there.

As I was about to pull out and leave, there the manager was and he taps on my window and says "we got you!" I then back out as fast as I could in hopes that he may not pick up my plate and leave.

I think the store may have cameras and has me on file (I don't know if they are always on since it's a slow monday). The vehicle registration is in my mothers name and it shows her old address where she doesn't live anymore.
>>
>>16567078
continued:

Since the police were already involved, what are the chances of them showing up at my door, is it possible they even show up? this whole foods is also in a county and I live in a different city - do they still have jurisdiction to come to me?

Since I handed the items over, do you think the police would further investigate? I feel like since they were on a whole lookout for me, they will feel the incentive to look for me and find me.
>>
>>16567078
Enjoy prison.
>>
First of all, chances are that the carpark was also part of the property so he could stop you outside of the store. Second of all, there's going to be a car left in the carpark overnight, so even if you get away with stealing, you've lost a car. Thirdly, if the car has any shred of evidence as to your identity, they know who you are, and they have your description and the manager can identify you, if that even becomes necessary. Lastly, it doesn't matter that you returned the items, you still stole them in the first place.
>>
HAAHHAHAHAAHHAHA SAME SHIT HAPPENED WITH ME AND I HAVENT SHOPLIFTED SINCE OMG DUDE are u in America
>>
>>16567092
I get that. I only said he can't stop me in hopes of him maybe buying into it and maybe not pursuing me. I didn't park the car there overnight, I got in my car and left before the store even closed and the parking lot was still full.

What I'm trying to ask is, is there any reason for the police to pursue this case, because I the store didn't incur any charges of the theft. The manager took the items back.

I'm pretty certain they got my plates. So is it possible they only have a description and still come to without any proof? as in tangible evidence?
>>
Well i dont think someone should call the police and jail someone over protein bars, but you knew the consequences and still acted. I'd just not do it again
>>
And if you live in adl different city just dont do it again and you are okay
>>
>>16567115
it wasn't just protein bars, it was protein powders, some fruits, costs easily running over $100 but under $300 for sure. I think the felony amount is $500. But the point is I don't have those items. They have it back.
>>
>>16567112
Every store these days has CCTV cameras. Of course they have footage of you taking it. And even if you gave them the stuff back, you still stole them within the legal definition of theft. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to track you down using the plates, all they have to do is trace it to your mother, look her up in the phone book, she tells them you had the car and then they've got you.
>>
>>16567120
>But the point is I don't have those items. They have it back.
>this makes theft okay
So if the manager hadn't stopped you and you hadn't given it back, then, and only then, would it be acceptable to classify what you did as theft?
>>
>>16567120
Ah. Yeah since they have it back they would be violating your rights without a court to pursue you further. Even though it was shoplifting you still have your right for court order if they were to randomly jail you after the incident in a different city. Its like if i punch someone and they call the police but i get away and move to a different state they couldnt do anything.
>>
Say "relax it was just a prank bro!"
>>
>>16567138
I feel like this would have worked. Point to random bushes "It's a social experiment, we were interested in seeing how many civilians would stop us, despite the fact that we were so obviously public"

op you dun g00fd
>>
"I'm really sorry sir, I can't control my habits. Can I give you *some interval of money* and forget about the incident?"
>>
Begging for mercy might help since they got nothing on you, swear you will never do it again and say you are really sorry and start crying a bit like a fag so they are sorry for you and grossed out by how pathetic you are and they might let you go
>>
>>16567190
What kind of car do you drive?

If they saw it, and it's a rusted Honda civic or some shit you can sincerely beg, say you don't have any food

If you drive a fucking benz and you're doing this shit, you're fucked
>>
>>16567196
an old ass toyota camry. regardless, I never made a case to beg or plead or tell them I didn't have enough food or I was struggling financially.

>>16567190
too late now, If I went back now and did that I'd surely be walking into my own arrest right now.

>>16567138
>>16567154
thanks for the laugh lmfao, really needed it right now. some of those youtube pranks are just ridiculous

>>16567129
you sure? can they really not come after me because i live in a different city?

>>16567126
no it wouldn't i realize that i was wrong and i admit it. I have learned my lesson. I'm just asking what would develop because I don't wanna get anything on my record/go to jail over some groceries.

>>16567122
I know all of this is possible of course. All I was asking was if it was justifiable to pursue me after the have the stuff back, and since I am in a different city.

Is it also extreme to assume the cameras don't record EVERY day? and they were possibly not taping it?
>>
File: 1449988764848.gif (3 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1449988764848.gif
3 MB, 300x225
Most of you shoplifters aren't bright. I personally despise you cowardly shits since you'll even take from local smaller businesses.

If they made your car you're most likely in bad shape. It doesn't matter if you returned the items since you fucking STOLE them. And yes, cameras do run daily due to shit like this. They probably have you on camera in-store and if they're a smart/have the cash they have some cameras in the parking lot too. Depending on how quickly you fled the manager or someone else could have jotted down your tag.

>tfw caught a shoplifter (grown man) in at my last job in-store
>small local business
>reacted like OP, handing shit back but he was shaking and looked like he was about to cry
>just leaned toward him and said "Get the fuck out of my store. Never come back."
>guy bolts out of the door, trips and eats shit, gets up and keeps running
>look and see a blood splat where he face-planted

Felt great.
>>
>>16567256
>All I was asking was if it was justifiable to pursue me after the have the stuff back, and since I am in a different city.
Of course it is, especially if they go through previous footage and see that you've stolen a lot more
>Is it also extreme to assume the cameras don't record EVERY day? and they were possibly not taping it?
Goodness, you really are desperate, aren't you? Shouldn't have stolen in the first place, huh?
>>
>>16567328
i never steal from small businesses/mom and pop shops/humans. only from large corporations who probably profit 500% on an item from me. but that's besides the point.

>>16567331
word

----

SO how long before I expect the cops to show up at my door? If I don't see them in 24 hours do I deem myself safe?
>>
>>16567393
Don't try and justify your profligate actions, you're a thief, no better than any other. Guess who gets fucked over when you steal shit? Not the fuckers at the top, the poor bastards working at the store. Anyway, there's no way to tell if you're fucked or not. What area is this in? If you're in a shitty area the cops are might just forget about it, because they're already swamped. They may show up in a day, maybe two weeks, maybe never. Maybe they didn't get your plates. The only way to know for sure is to wait it out, or call up the police station.
>>
>>16567451
It was a really nice area. an county where home owners pay like 10,000$/year in taxes to keep their neighborhoods safe..a county where the police's biggest case is probably someone getting locked out of their own house dude.

that's why i'm so concerned. they are literally not swamped and they get no cases at all. i'm sure they might pursue.

but is it safe to assume i'm safe if they don't show in lets say 2 weeks?
>>
post shoplifting tips
>>
>>16567466
Hoo boy, then you sound fucked. If they got your plates, I would not be surprised with a knock on the door. Might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer to see what your options are if that happens. That's really all you can do.
>>
>>16567472
Get some really big horse sized dildos and stretch out your butthole so you can hide stolen merchandise in it. Remember to shove that stuff wayyy up there.
>>
>>16567500
okay let me ask you this: what if they have no CCTV camera proof and only the managers word and the merchandise with him that I stole? and no physical evidence of my plates and just say my plate number by memory. Do they still have the right to pursue the case without any proof? Even though the police were called to the store and searched for me?
>>
>>16567078
So, I'm getting the feeling you "learned your lesson" in the sense that you're now worried about facing potential consequences if this happens again, and don't want trouble. But I'm a little worried you still might fully not understand why stealing is wrong in the first place.

May I ask why you were stealing to begin with?
>>
>>16567528
>what if they have no CCTV camera proof and only the managers word and the merchandise with him that I stole? and no physical evidence of my plates and just say my plate number by memory
You wish. And putting both those pieces of evidence together is pretty strong, even if it isn't as solid as photos or camera footage. Also, you seem to forget that witness evidence is a thing.
>>
>>16567546
i couldnt afford the groceries I wanted. These were food items and not luxuries like clothes. Of course I didn't need to steal it and I could've dished out the last cash I had to buy them instead of stealing.

>>16567551
would it matter that it was just groceries and not something big like electronics or expensive clothing? or is theft still theft to police. Cause i would estimate the amount of goods in that bag are probably around $150 in groceries.
>>
>>16567562
Theft is theft, and when it comes to pursuing this sort of thing, the value is important. $150 is not insignificant, and you're probably going to have to lawyer up. This'll teach you to live within your means, huh?
>>
>>16567562
>whole foods
>not a luxury

Ehhhh, I find that kind of debatable. There are cheaper food options than that particular chain; all their shit is way overpriced. Do you not have access to cheaper options? Or do you have necessary dietary restrictions that force you to shop at a specialty shop like that, like a severe gluten intolerance or something?

I'm asking purely out of curiosity to get a perspective on the situation. Since you said you wouldn't do it again I don't even really want to put you down.
>>
>>16567584
you're right. i was wrong and i surely won't do it again. I have my whole life ahead of me and I'm just freaking out about the police showing up at my door. I'm only 20 years old.

I don't care about the police really, I've dealt with situations like this before, going to court, getting a lawyer and all that. It's just those times I did it independently at my own place, in the city that I live in. Now I stay with my parents because of the winter break, and I just don't want them to find out.
>>
>>16567078
anymore input/advice?

if the cops show up at my door i won't answer anything and will ask to have a lawyer present.

i guess what i was looking for was someone to tell me they won't show up, i won't be pursued and i should just take it as a lesson and never do it again. but this is life and i will learn through my mistakes i guess.

thanks everyone!
>>
>>16567794
I got arrested last year from stealing $150 too lol, think of it like this.
Every supermarket loses minimum 10,000 everyday in thefts,yea they got your plates but they're not gonna go crazy over food and shit,it'll be a B misdemeanor.
Dont ever go to that store and any other store in the same branch Dont steal, cops still have cases and I doubt they'll go knock on your door there's no warrants present cause they still Dont know you yet,the plates are to your moms but they won't really stop you if you left the stuff and scene,they really Dont have much asides you recorded and shit,after 300 meters away from the store they legally can't do much but reports and cops won't go too far since its a near to lost cause,lay low for a month or so though
>>
>>16567814
did you get arrested on the spot or after you left and they showed up at your door?
>>
>>16567814
i actually also went to a different whole foods store in a different county to buy food like an hour later. and i bought it with a credit card. you think i'd be fucked?
>>
>>16567832
On the spot,I stole ALOT and when I got caught I didnt run I was like "oops okay I'll follow" and then they said I'd only get a ticket,nope ten days in jail bahah.
I wouldn't worry about them coming to your home you're in a safehouse for now,just Dont steal OP from now on you'll thank yourself later,like this is your big break.
I used up my big break by getting away from a 40 acid tab charge once,never selling acid again lol
>>
>>16567840
Nah , you'll be good.
Unless if they caught you stealing from the other one THEN you're gonna get followed and shit
>>
>>16567847
nah they didn't catch me stealing shit. payed for my shit and went on my merry way.

damn dude, when did you get arrested? that sucks! did it go on your record as a B misdemeanor?
>>
>>16567854
It was a a tad over a year ago lol I'm also 20 and yes and no to my record,since it was my first offense I was put under deferred adjudication, theyd more than likely do that to you if you bailout,I was three days shy from the case being time served but parents got me out lol, basically you'll do probation for about six months,pay for probation and the fines,I payed $790 total in six months and the case was put in deferred so I can seal it and it won't show in majority of jobs,big big jobs it'd show but I mean you can say you were in a bad spot at that time you know?
>>
>>16567869
damn alright. but you did 10 days in jail though? ya i'm never gonna steal again for sure. dude do you have an email i can contact you at? just in case something happens i can ask you for advice.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015_09_07_01_13_27.png (281 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015_09_07_01_13_27.png
281 KB, 800x480
>>16567917
Yea did the ten days in jail and since there's people about I'm too paranoid to give out my email hoping you understand,but I do come to this board daily so just post and have the same photo and I'll see it and reply OP.
But I'll always be on here in case anything comes up, good luck brother and be safe out there for you and your mothers sake
>>
>>16567970
thanks, bro, i really appreciate it.
good luck with everything!
>>
>Shoplifting
>Doing literally what OP was doing
>leave store
>manager with security guard runs out after me
>tell me to show them what I have in my bag
>show them and act surprised
>"Wow sorry guys, completely forgot i had picked these up, lucky you stopped me, I'm completely retarded and keep groceries in my bag to carry to the counter, i'l go back and pay now"
>Shit feels odd to them, but they tell me to carry shit around in their baskets and not to do it again
>pay for items and leave
>or give a bad credit card and act like i am the unluckiest guy ever and leave disappointed i could not purchase my almost stolen goods

Shit seems sketchy as hell, but they really do not want to call the police and look like idiots when they have to explain this customer claims he forgot to pay for some items he picked up and is now 100% totally willing to pay as he had forgot about them when leaving, and now the police have been phoned to arrest the customer for...?

Police solve issues, if the issue is already solved they can't do much more, if you get caught ever again OP put on a brave face and act stupid. You may not need the acting part.
>>
>>16568069
I'm back for some supervision lol and you too man
>>16568111
I remember always acting like I bought my shit,I walked out of Walmart with car seat covers,floorpads and like six scented hula girls for my car.
Shit was cash and the worker just said have a great day while I carried everything without bags
>>
>>16567078
>>16567081

I know Whole Foods is different from other stores, but they do generally keep the same practices. They won't let you know that they're watching, but they have been (for a long time). They'll wait until you steal a certain amount of money and then get the police involved. This way, it's easier to punish you for the crimes you've committed. They likely already knew about what type of vehicle you drove, but now they have the plate number. You're fucked.
>>
File: eiMkRBBdT.png (20 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
eiMkRBBdT.png
20 KB, 420x420
WE GOT YOU
>>
I used to be a store manager for a large retailer in downtown Milwaukee and shoplifting is something we dealt with all the time.

Most of the time, I would stop the thief personally in the store. I would only get the cops involved if it was a repeat offender or if it was a high dollar amount.

You said you've stolen from there before. It is plausible that they had their suspicions about you already and that's why they watched you. I know you think what ever it was you stole was expensive or flashy, but the point here is that you stole. Once I got the cops involved in a shoplifting incident, it was out of my hands as to how far the cops would go to find the guy.

And giving the items back does nothing for you. In the eyes of the law, you still committed a crime. When thieves stole from me and the cops were able to recover the items, sometimes they would still have to pay restitution based on the cost of the items, even if they were perfectly sellable.
>>
>>16568135
I doubt they knew about me. I just think this particular manager caught me this particular time.

let's assume they have my plates and all the witness evidence etc.

i still i think i'm not fucked, here's why: when they ring in my plates, it shows my mom and her old address. Also, if they do any further investigation to find my mothers new address, it's in Tampa, Florida, while this whole thing took place up in New Jersey (we're on vacation for winter up here).

I'm thinking they could have easily ran my plates, got my mom's old address, showed up at the house, asked the current house owners my mothers number/new address, then showed up here (my dads address, previous registered owner of vehicle and who sold the previous house to current residents, whose info has also been written down because of previous accidents, police reports, etc.)

But they didn't show up yet, and the whole ordeal took place at 6pm last night. is it too optimistic to assume they ditched the case?

Or lets say they showed up to my mothers old house, they get no answer from the door. aren't police computers sophisticated enough to narrow down exactly where my mom lives currently, especially since a name is all they need for her employment/DL number/etc?

also.. lets say based on the managers description to the police (5'10, hispanic, black hair, green eyes, beard, etc), that they got, and look up the plates in the computer and see my mothers picture.. do they just think the managers got the wrong plates and ditch the case or still pursue?
>>
>>16568298

Actually, I KNOW for a fact they have no suspicion of me stealing previously or ever stealing from that store. They weren't watching me or connecting me to previous thefts. Because when he followed me out of the store, he tried to get me to come back in by trying to fool me. He pulled out his radio and asked "the cops are coming, right?" and some chick answered back like, "what are you talking about?" thats when he figured i knew it was bs, and decided to actually call the cops when i wouldn't go back in the store. If he had previous suspicion, he would've already alerted the cops to be at the door when he caught me leaving, because he had followed me around the store from start to finish of the whole process.
>>
>>16568141
is this sarcasm or...?

>>16568190
so you've had cops go to the thief's house, seize the products, and bring it back to you? How is this even possible?
>>
>>16568323

I didn't have the cops do anything. They're not "seizing" anything. They are recovering my stolen goods. Retailers are not the "bad guys" for sending the cops after theives. When you decide to break the law, you assume the responsibility for the consequences. Usually the guys are caught trying to sell them at pawn shops. Or they post the shit on Craigslist and get busted that way.
>>
don't worry about it bro ive done some fucked up shit in front of cameras and those investigations take time warrants take time if anything they can get you for is evading the police thats the charge you need to watch out for but you should be ok just try to stay out of the general area while your up there in jersy
>>
>>16568472

thanks bro. now that i rewind the whole situation and think about if and how they will investigate/pursue me it's all so complicated.. like it's going to a MAJOR hassle for them to even FIND me.. first the moms old address, then her new one in florida, then maybe finding her husbands address which is again her old one, then her sons, which is in miami, none of them leading to my current residents. Also plate numbers don't reveal phone numbers even through DMV checks, so I can be assured she won't be contacted.

Then I think about whether or not the police can legally escalate the issue to come to my house (IF they do figure out my current address), without obtaining a court order/ or going through the court somehow. if they show up i believe it would be with a WARRANT which they definitely cannot obtain because i'm certain they don't have me on camera walking out of the store, neither the cops identifying me evading them.

thirdly i never evaded the cops, just the LP/manager, but i guess evading the cops is viable since they were actually looking for me.

i'm thinking i'm safe since this shit went down yesterday at 6pm and if they were to figure out where i lived they would've showed up by now, which they didn't.

i'll just be optimistic for now. thanks bro!
>>
update/bump: 11am next day and still no knocks on the door
>>
>>16568472
also i want to ask you. i don't think it's considered evasion if the police never stopped me before i ran. they never even saw me/caught me. I think the argument for evasion is and only if I either start fleeing when they pursue me while driving, or they are about to question me/detain me and then i run. is this correct?
>>
>>16567814

>Every supermarket loses minimum 10,000 everyday in thefts

That does not sound correct to me.
>>
>>16567843

Man you're really a lowlife piece of shit aren't you?
>>
>>16568481
that's quite a strange system you americans have, here a license plate would lead directly to the owner.
yeah persueing you would cost at least several men several hours. both policemen and the manager. guess what, policemen won't bother searching for someone unless it's something huge. Like if you were a policeman, would you go in office for hours to track down a shoplifter? or bust crackheads on the street? man-hours are expensive (consider all the costs, we're not talking just wage here) and
managers have managing to do.
>>
Being a lawyer that works with employment law, and generally paying attention to the endemic amount of wage theft and other worker-exploitation crimes and pseudo-crimes that go on in this country, I have a hard time giving a fuck about kids shoplifting. Petty theft is practically retribution (although to be fair, I mean that systemically; it is in no sense justice).

Just don't get caught.
>>
>>16567078

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJRqA3BY8k
>>
>>16568853
ya. 10,000$ is pretty substantial. Maybe a whole shopping mall loses this amount with all the sotres combined, but one store? nah dude.

>>16568858
I posted this thread in hopes for legal knowledge, not your subjective opinions, but thanks for peddling your opinions either way... humanity :/

>>16568865
listen my soviet russian friend.. this sounds logical, but the police department in this county literally have sticks up their asses and get nothing big at all. this probably brings a fucking adrenaline rush to them.

>>16568871
i hope you're right man. i'm pretty sure i'm good since no ones showed up so far.

>>16568903
wat
>>
>>16567081
They've got you on:
- shoplifting (original crime)
- resisting arrest
- trespassing (where you hid)
- assault (manager will claim you tried to hit him with your car)
- attempted vehicular manslaughter

The shoplifting was just a fine, maybe community service. Because you ran, you are now facing heavy jail time. 10 years at least.

Enjoy getting assraped by niggers.
>>
>>16569062
>- shoplifting (original crime)
agreed
>- resisting arrest
no. i never was confronted by police or did I ever resist physically or verbally from the police, they don't even know what i look like.
>- tresspassing (where you hid)
I ran towards some traintracks, where I hid could've been in a plethora of places. If they actually have proof of me hiding in someone's backyard, then they would have me on trespassing. But they don't. As far as I'm concerned, I hid on public property.

>- assault (manager will claim you tried to hit him with your car)
maybe. but there is no proof. There are no security cameras outside of the store in the parking lot to justify this, and even if they do, they will clearly see this wasn't the case. In any way, I have the right to argue I wasn't in court even if he does pull this card.

>- attempted vehicular manslaughter
laughable. at this point just accuse me of robbing a bank and doing genocide.

What you're saying, 10 years, or whatever bullshit time you pulled out of your ass would only apple if I actually was found guilty of all those crimes. Which is highly unlikely since they only have proof of the first one (shoplifting). Dude, at least offer me some solid advice without trying to get me paranoid. I made a mistake and would like deal with this as logically as possible.
>>
OP, you suck at shoplifting. You're supposed to actually buy something and then act like whatever you took out was something you forgot about.

Whole Foods strategy
>Cart and 2 of those canvas tote bags
>Hang the totes off of the cart
>Place shit you're actually going to buy in the cart
>Place shit you're stealing in tote bag 1
>Place purse in tote bag 1
>Cashier: Do you have anything in the totes?
>You: Nope, just my purse! My back was killing me.

And if you don't have a purse because of some stupid reason like you're a guy, get a fucking man purse. You're going to Whole Foods. At least half of the guys there are carrying some form of man purse.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.