[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I go?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: flowerman.png (84 KB, 328x653) Image search: [Google]
flowerman.png
84 KB, 328x653
I'm currently a second year student at a middle tier school on the US east coast. I'm on scholarship, so I pay ~4000 a semester (for 5 courses) I decided that it should be time for a change so applied to some universities in the UK and I got accepted to a high ranked red brick. However, their tuition is 200 k over 3 years. The program they offer is one of the best in the world. What do ya'll think I should do?
>>
>200 k over 3 years

What's the expected return on that investment?
>>
>>16564324

What is the program and what is the major?
>>
Probably not. I'm guessing that being ~200k in debt wouldn't be offset by the difference in income you might make with a degree from the better school.
>>
>>16564362

You also have to consider the prestige which you can't put a monetary value on as its a form of social capital.
>>
>>16564366
Do you think it would offset being $200k in debt?
>>
>>16564369

Not by itself, which is why we look at things in their complete instantiation rather than in isolation.

Do I think all the positive factors together offset the debt? Probably, yeah.
>>
OP here. I got accepted to kings college london for their international relations program. I want to get into international law and I feel like getting into one of the top schools globally would help my career.

Kings is ranked 19th I believe overall
>>
>>16564366
The prestige factor really only comes in if you do more than a Bachelors. Every single one of my professors who attended a 'prestigious school' attended a smaller one for their Bachelors.
>>
>>16564374
If you want to get into international law, you're probably better off with a law degree than an IR degree
>>
>>16564372
>>16564369
It'd be more than 200k though, that's just tuition alone. Factor in living costs and chances are OP's going to be in debt for a while, especially since it's in London, which isn't exactly cheap.
>>
>>16564377
>>16564377
I've been under the impression that you don't have to do law in your undergrad in order to go into law later. I love international relations and I want to gain more insight into the field before I jump into law school.
>>
>>16564388
It will be. That's why I'm so torn. I really want to go, however I'm worried that my investment (over 200 k) might not pan out and I'll be left in a mountain of debt.
>>
>>16564399
Well I guess it depends on how everything works where you live. Where I live, law is an undergrad program, and I think it is in the UK too. If you plan on settling there, you'd be better off doing a law degree, maybe with a BA in IR alongside it? Otherwise, I suggest staying where you are, you don't want to spend that much money only to end up in a position where you're going to have to spend even more to do what you want to do.
>>
>>16564405
Given that you'll be on a student visa, you'll be restricted in how many hours you can work too. I really don't think the amount you'll be spending will be worth it, even for a top school.
>>
>>16564324
Have you checked any scholarships from the UK's government? From the university? From your own country?

There are always options for financial aid, be it a scholarship or a tuition waiver. This means a lot of paperwork and planning, but it is worth it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.